→ in
Tools    

Lost in never never land
Index:

2001: A Space Odyssey

American Beauty

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest

Superman Returns

**NOTE** Just to save future shock like there was further down in the thread, I tend to either rank movies highly, or very low. So don't expect to see many 4-7's. Also, I tend to enjoy most movies, it is has to be very bad for me to dislike it, and if I do dislike it, I will hate it.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Lost in never never land
2001: A Space Odyssey

Directed by: Stanley Kubrick

This was an interesting movie to watch, and it was fairly obvious to me shortly into the movie why this movie is as critically aclaimed as it is. The work that it did with the camera and the effects would have been something that was very new and cutting edge for 1968.

As for the film itself, the minimalist style in which it was shot and written, was also interesting and captivating. It aided the visuals and brought a sort of tranquil depth to the film.

Finally, the plot itself wasn't all that engaging. Some of the leaps and jumps that it made, between the three main sections, seemed to be overly disconnected. There was no good through line that tied the sections together.

Final thoughts before the grade:
What makes this film interesting to watch is the effects and the camera work which were new and invovative for thier time. It is one of those movies which I came away from it feeling like I liked the movie, but I didn't know why since I wasn't all that engaged by the movie.

Grade: 8.5/10

Lost in never never land
American Beauty

Directed by: Sam Mendes

I haven't seen this movie as recently as I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, so this review may not be quite as good.

This movie is what I would consider to be a masterpiece. The camera work, especially the "camcorder" filming done by the Ricky Fitts. The artistic value of that helps make this film one of my all time favorites.

The plot of the film is very engaging and moves at a controlled but quick pace. However, this movie isn't one that ends with a happy ending.

The story is about Lester Burnham and his midlife crisis. Lester's life is falling apart around him, as he is going to be axed at work, his wife is cheating on him, and his daughter hates him. He reverts back to an almost adolecent state in his life. What drives him is now his passions and desires, and he is driven in an illogical manner. The story follows his working through this crisis in his life, and the life of his family.

Last thoughts:
This is really the type of movie that I like. Sad and darker.

Grade: 9.5/10

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by The Gnat
What makes this film interesting to watch is the effects and the camera work which were new and invovative for thier time. It is one of those movies which I came away from it feeling like I liked the movie, but I didn't know why since I wasn't all that engaged by the movie.

Grade: 8.5/10
That was exactly my reaction to it, the first time through. Kubrick is a pretty insidious bastage, in a good way.

Lost in never never land
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest

Directed by: Gore Virbinski

This movie was shot in a very fast pace, high energy style, which I liked. The movie was driven by the fast paced action, especially at the beginning of the movie.

The basic premise is that Jack Sparrow is trying to save himself again, this time from Davey Jones. This leads him through a series of events that are action packed and funny (and sometimes a little chaotic).

Will and Elizabeth are engaged to be married, but are arrested on their wedding day for helping Jack to escape. James Norrington, a British officer, offers Will a chance to save Jack and themselves (?) in exchange for Jack's compass. Will then goes and tries to track down Jack.

Final thoughts:
I thought at part of times, especially at the beginning, the action was chaotic and unneeded. However, towards the second part it got back into the style of the first one. I can't wait for the next one to come out and finish off the story.

Grade: 9/10

Lost in never never land
Superman Returns

Directed by: Brian Singer

Just a disclaimer: I haven't seen the first two that come before this one does, so I didn't catch all of the references to the back previous movies.

This was a much better movie then I was expecting. The action, which I thought was going to be dull just because he is Superman, was much better then I was expecting, probably in thanks to the amazing work that can be done on computers with the special effects.

Basic plot goes that Superman returns after five years and his quest to find Krypton. When he returns he finds things to be different then he had left them. Lois has a child and is living with a man, and Lex Luthor is out of jail. He returns to his post at the Daily Planet. Meanwhile Lex Luthor is plotting his revenge. From this point on it twists and turns as it combines the two stories, that become intermingled, of Superman and Lois, and of Lex and Superman.

Final comments: I enjoyed this movie more then I thought I was going to. I had troubles seeing Superman as a convincing super hero because of the fact that his only weakness is a rock. However, the interplay between Lois, her finacee, and Superman is very good and helps the movie a lot. While the movie did have a happy ending, I felt that it was a very bittersweet happiness. I have to try out this spoiler tag, and say what my favorite scene was. Kevin Spacey made the movie well above average in my opinion.

WARNING: "Favorite Superman Scene" spoilers below
The scene where Luthor is experimenting with the crystals. The wonderful absurdity of seeing the model trains crash in such a way that is very realistic makes that, in my opinion, one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Grade: 9/10

District B13
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
9/10 for Pirates 2?!

Won't be visiting this thread again......
*tries desperately to feel any emotion*

J/K