What do watch more? New Movies vs Old movies you haven't seen?

Tools    

Old movies,

Trouble with a capital "T"
What do you mean by old movies? If you're young it could be movies from the early 2000s. Or maybe you meant silent era films or somewhere in between?

I like older movies. I like the pacing better. Though I don't really care for anything from the early thirties because they haven't perfected the pacing yet. I think they pace stuff for gamers now. It's like a constant assault.

Movies I haven't seen.

Age doesn't matter. There are benefits and drawbacks to old movies vs newer ones.

Also, I'm fine with both, but older films are generally my comfort zone. To decide though, I typically just go to curated lists I find intriguing and use a random number generator to pick, so it's ultimately left up to chance for me.

Old movies (2 or 3 each week, whether or not they are new to me) are more numerous, but always at least one new movie in a theater each week. Going out in the city, getting dinner and a movie is a goal by itself, even when I'm middling on the movie. Generally, the food is good and sometimes my favorite food hall has live music too, to be followed by a new movie. It's about being out of the house.

Going out in the city, getting dinner and a movie is a goal by itself, even when I'm middling on the movie. Generally, the food is good and sometimes my favorite food hall has live music too, to be followed by a new movie. It's about being out of the house.
That’s what I try to do as well. Admittedly slipped a bit in the last few months, but generally that’s the best part of going to the movies for me. And if the movie ends up being great, well, then that’s even better.

Just movies. And unless you are offering ways to watch ones from the future, who cares when they came from. Just movies.
Sometimes I concur. In other circumstances, I seem very keenly aware of how ‘different’ old movies are, less cynical, if nothing else. It’s not meant as a generalised statement (Touch of Evil feels more cynical than a lot of the stuff made today), but I do sometimes find that pre-1950s movies don’t go ‘deep’ enough for me into psychology. Could just be my deep-seated postmodern sensibilities.

Though I don't really care for anything from the early thirties because they haven't perfected the pacing yet.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I mainly watch older movies from the mid 20th century but that wasn't always the case...Back when I had Netflix's DVD plan I would get and watch 2 new movies a week, and also go to my library for a large selection of older movies. I seen a ton of newer stuff up until 2017, then I got tired of the way new films were heading, (fast edit like Beelzebubble pointed out)...and so got rid of my Netflix plan...Then the pandemic closed my library forcing me to learn 'other' movie watching skills

These days my movie watching is determined by joining HoFs and Group Watches here at MoFo, like the Musical Group Watch SpelingError is running...and by picking a movie watching theme, I'm watching all of API's ' 1960s beach movies' on the weekends. On the weekdays I'm working my way chronological through all of Gregory Peck's filmography and watching musicals too in prep for the Musical Countdown hosted by Thursday Next....That's probably more information then anyone wanted to know

Di je Karlo?
Exclusively old movies. Last time I saw a film on the year it released was everything Everywhere All At Once.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Older films... on the whole. In general I prefer older pre 1980's films (I was born in 1982 so in my silly brain and logic... anything before 1982 is an older "classic" film and anything after is a "modern" film)... silly yes.

In general I prefer the more static camera of older films and the greater attention to mise en' scene and framing and long with more dialogue heavy scripts. The dialogue often is more intelligent in older films too and focused more on "slices of life" and character development rather than being expository in nature. Today, sooooo much dialogue in film is expository, which is incredibly dull. We're not living in the age of Billy Wilder, that's for sure.

I also prefer the musical compositions of older films which tend to have more memorable scores with strong melodies and reprises. Too much music in film today is about manipulating an audience with a genre timbre that is really just filler... generic action beats, stringy and sappy love music, etc. It's nothing that you can hear in your head with a distinct musical idea or melody (think The Godfather theme or the strings in Psycho or the sweeping Lawrence of Arabia score). A good example of music having gone so far down hill in recent times is any current Christopher Nolan film. Oppenheimer I give a B- too and one of the reasons is largely because the music was sooo obtrusive and a substitute for genuine intensity and emotion. That's not too say music can't be loud and thumping. For example in Blade Runner 2049 when Ryan Gosling's character goes to rescue Harrison Ford's Deckard and the Hans Zimmer score comes bursting in... it's complimentary. The story and narrative has already earned that emotion. The Hans Zimmer "Sea Wall" score just frippin' amplifies it to 11 so it works perfectly.

There are truly great and amazing films in the last 20 years... among the best ever. But I just prefer the style of yesteryear's films. Even an average film from the 1930s, 40s, 50s, and 60s is somewhat watchable. I can't say the same for films of today. Maybe that's one of the big differences too.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201