Mission Impossible Marketing

Tools    

I think people need to take a cue from this movie's marketing strategy..they have 200 million $ riding on this thing and this isn't a superhero movie...so the clever piece of marketing is to unveil series of featurettes about these unbelievable stunts in the months leading up to the release of the movie. All this is one of the last remaining successful strategies to market a non superhero blockbusters...I am interested to see how this works for original big budget movies which of course have something to prove.

Because more often than not, the marketing for big budget original movies is just trailers and tv spots leading upto the movie...I think if audience are exposed to the uniqueness of the world of the film and the behind the scenes endeavors to get the movie made...it might help...of course the movie had to be good..something like blade runner 2049 could have benefited from it , although I don't know the extent to which being a sequel effected its box office. Apart from some cool trailers, the movie is so secretive and it hurt the movie.

Welcome to the human race...
The key difference with Mission: Impossible is that it has the novelty value of Tom Cruise, lifelong A-list movie star, doing his own stunts. This is what makes the behind-the-scenes stuff interesting enough to be a huge factor in the pre-release marketing and is also a tactic that can't be replicated by most other franchises simply because their stars don't go through to the same trouble that Cruise does.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I must say it is one of the things I admire about him. He takes the physical role very seriously. Didn't he break a bone or two in his ankle for that scene above?

Haha yeah he broke it. I'm not sure if all the marketing in the world would have brought Blade Runner up to the kind of success MI sees though. This series has so much longevity and such a powerful reputation that they could probably tone down the marketing a bit. I've seen this trailer so many damn times over the past few months, and it still doesn't come out for one more month!

The key difference with Mission: Impossible is that it has the novelty value of Tom Cruise, lifelong A-list movie star, doing his own stunts. This is what makes the behind-the-scenes stuff interesting enough to be a huge factor in the pre-release marketing and is also a tactic that can't be replicated by most other franchises simply because their stars don't go through to the same trouble that Cruise does.
its true that a no name actor can't bring in audience just because he did some stunts. But I was thinking of 2 particular movies Elysium with matt damon and exodus gods and kings with christian bale. This two were not hits but they did made their money back with very slim profits. I always wondered what would have happened if Elysium had a revenant type behind the scenes production trouble and it turned out great....or exodus was hyped beyond belief and it met expectations.Because rarely does a original movie with 150 million budget is very well received by critics. Most of the time its dissed by critics and you don'y know whose fault is it that movie didnt perform...critics or star power of star or whatever.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That must have hurt like a
bee-atch. I snapped my collarbone recently and that wasn't from doing a fun stunt. Ouch. And I didn't get paid monopoly money to do it.

Welcome to the human race...
its true that a no name actor can't bring in audience just because he did some stunts. But I was thinking of 2 particular movies Elysium with matt damon and exodus gods and kings with christian bale. This two were not hits but they did made their money back with very slim profits. I always wondered what would have happened if Elysium had a revenant type behind the scenes production trouble and it turned out great....or exodus was hyped beyond belief and it met expectations.Because rarely does a original movie with 150 million budget is very well received by critics. Most of the time its dissed by critics and you don'y know whose fault is it that movie didnt perform...critics or star power of star or whatever.
Cruise's ability to attract expensive productions also means that the films can do even more high-profile stunts that smaller films/names wouldn't be able to pull off (e.g. scaling the Burj Khalifa in Ghost Protocol). As for the question of troubled productions, It's almost a death-of-the-author situation where general audiences won't care that much about behind-the-scenes information anyway and will simply judge the film based on its promotion or quality instead (especially since a troubled production is more likely to be reflected in the final product anyway). In any case, there's no magic formula to guarantee critical and commercial success since both those factors are ultimately up to the whims of the people - since a $150m movie is almost certainly trying to appeal to as many people as possible in order to make a profit, it always runs the risk of trying too hard to please everyone and not pleasing anyone in the process - or chasing a vision that a mass audience doesn't appreciate (which is arguably what happened with Elysium, but I just think that was a pretty generic excuse for a sci-fi blockbuster anyway).

This came in under what I was thinking, only a little over $60M. Could have something to do with the MoviePass outage though haha

This came in under what I was thinking, only a little over $60M. Could have something to do with the MoviePass outage though haha
this is a franchise 6 movies deep...its very hard for it to add new audience especially after the couch jumping incident...major spike happened only from 1 to 2 when John Wo glamorized tom cruise and that help the franchise gain new fans..now I think it hit the ceiling.

Not my kind of movie, but it was a really fun ride.

Not my kind of movie, but it was a really fun ride.
It did feel like a collage of things mass audience likes glued together. But there is no through-line to the movie. No vision. Its just set piece after set piece.

There are a couple of things one of a kind about promoting movies and TV appears. Timing is amazingly critical – you should develop however much publicity in the short space of time paving the way to and around the dispatch as could be expected. Another exceptional factor is that movies and TV appearances, by their extremely nature, are content gold mines – a colossal benefit with regards to making a ground-breaking content showcasing system for a forthcoming film or TV demonstrate dispatch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's also riding on the success of the earlier films. People want to see the crazy Tom Cruise stunt. It helps that these movies are good too though.

Suspect's Reviews