Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Last House on the Beach (1978)

Rape and revenge Italian style. I'd say it has the qualities one would look for in a movie like this, but it doesn't quite excel at any of them. The music is good, especially the disco during the slow motion rape scene, and overall it was ok.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree. Rachel, Rachel (1968) was a superb movie, whose theme and story were unusual for its time. Joanne Woodward was perfect for the part, and her portrayal got her an Oscar nomination.

It was a simple but psychologically revealing film with an uplifting ending, which they don't make many of today.

~Doc
If you know anything similar, I'd be very interested.... I mentioned a German movie that seems similar, but I also like the older movies, especially once they became more personal and with more variation.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Playing hard

4/5
The story of three women, who have a problem with alcohol. Another great movie of Kinga Dębska.

3,5/5
Really funny and entertaining movie about people with different mental disorders, who are waiting for psychoterapist in his lounge.

4,5/5
Chalament is outstanding here. The same as Carell and the second one was huge surprise for me.
A "worthy" film. Pretty hard to rate as it has it's flaws and is still instructive.

Dave Chappelle: Deep in the Heart of Texas - 7/10
I saw this before as well, and I guess like in any art, the best stuff is the stuff you could hear thousands of times.. This isn't one, but I don't have many options, and feel that even 2-3 laughs is better than wasting time watching the "news".

I wish he'd stop hitting the microphone against his body 100x a show. Or find a sound mixer who is very alert!

If you know anything similar, I'd be very interested.... I mentioned a German movie that seems similar, but I also like the older movies, especially once they became more personal and with more variation.
David and Lisa (1962) is in the same general ballpark, although the emotional problems in question are a little deeper. Good film with Keir Dullea and Janet Margolin.

~Doc

Tau
A woman is held captive by a scientist in a futuristic smart house, and hopes to escape by reasoning with the Artificial Intelligence that controls the house

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I agree with your rating. Good acting all around, especially from Jeff Bridges, John Hamm and Lewis Pullman. Chris Hemsworth was too good looking for the part, and seemed more like a motivational speaker than a Manson type character. Cynthia Erivo did a nice job, but her character made her seem like someone hired for their singing abilities who also had to act.

In a film in the vein of Wes Anderson or even Tarantino (without the gore fetish) there's no compelling reason to expect logic or reality, but several of the scenes or situations felt incongruous. How can a perfectly operational hotel/motel on Lake Tahoe have only the characters in the plot as guests? And later, how can such large fires in the hotel lounge not quickly spread to the entire interior? Also the Mansonesque character was not necessary, and seemed over the top. The guy could have just been a dominating criminal type.

Ironically the hotel was modeled on the Cal-Neva Lodge which is in Crystal Bay on Lake Tahoe, sitting squarely on the state line. But in the late '60s when the story took place, the hotel was very popular, especially with the Hollywood and Sinatra crowd.

However the movie provided an attention holding story, along with some interesting twists and a gratifying ending. We'll be on the lookout for some more Drew Goddard films.

~Doc

Eliminators (1986)

Stupid B-action film that rips things off from more films I can count. Fortunately it's bad enough to actually be quite enjoyable at times.

Deep Red (1975)

Rewatch for the Horror HoF. Liked it a bit more than the first time and I'm officially renouncing my complaints about the script.

David and Lisa (1962) is in the same general ballpark, although the emotional problems in question are a little deeper. Good film with Keir Dullea and Janet Margolin.

~Doc

That's a 9/10 with me! I also loved Frank Perry's next movie, "Ladybug, Ladybug", especially because its from the children's perspective. "The Swimmer" is my favorite of his.

1/20/2019

My love for Leigh Whannell and James Wan

Insidious
(2010)
3.5/5

Insidious Chapter 2
(2013)
3.5/5

Insidious Chapter 3
(2015)
3.5/5

4,5/5
Chalament is outstanding here. The same as Carell and the second one was huge surprise for me.
A "worthy" film. Pretty hard to rate as it has it's flaws and is still instructive.
Hmmm, I think it's not instructive at all. I would say opposite - it rather shows parents powerless than is a warning.