Kong vs. Hurricane Isabel

Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
So, Hurricane Isabel is scheduled to hit Kong's digs tomorrow, and Kong plans on showing this "storm" who's boss by using a 1 candle (if needed), 1 24oz. bottle of Pepsi, and a slew of films (The Major and the Minor, The Public Eye, The Public Enemy, Scarlet Street, and The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick). Hopefully the power won't go out, and hopefully Kong won't be flooded in (why did Kong move to a neighborhood near water and under seal level?). Anyone else having Aunt Isabel over for a visit?

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Kong
So, Hurricane Isabel is scheduled to hit Kong's digs tomorrow, and Kong plans on showing this "storm" who's boss by using a 1 candle (if needed), 1 24oz. bottle of Pepsi, and a slew of films (The Major and the Minor, The Public Eye, The Public Enemy, Scarlet Street, and The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick). Hopefully the power won't go out, and hopefully Kong won't be flooded in (why did Kong move to a neighborhood near water and under seal level?). Anyone else having Aunt Isabel over for a visit?
Yep...Isabel's coming our way tomorrow too. They've already closed the schools. I went out today looking for a couple of extra flashlights at Home Depot, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods , Sears and Radio Shack....everyone's sold out. So I bought a few more candles instead. ^.^;;;

Good Luck to you Kong. You live much closer to the water than I do.

You both stay safe… I’ve road out a few of those darn things and they’re not any fun at all…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Aniko, where do you live??? You sound like you live in my town by mentioning all those stores. I knew that Kong lived in southern VA, I'm in Northern (Manassas), don't know about you though, Niko. Schools are closed here too - tomorrow and Friday.

My life isn't written very well.
I'd like to mirror Caits' sentiments: stay safe! No going outside with sheets and skateboards. And keep us posted (power permitting) as to your conditions.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

i just got an email from my mom telling me to "be careful about the hurricane, stock up on food, etc." had no idea about any such thing, im totally out of the loop, but maybe that explains the odd bit of heavy rain i got whilst riding my bike? i cant imagine we're gonna get it very bad here in atlantic city, maybe i should check though just to be on the safe side. think last time we had a hurricane was about four years ago, and it was four days of the best weather of that year.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Be kareful, Kong. We all kare about you.
I'll laugh if I see a gorilla fly by my window.

I keep having a vision of this big wet hairy ape sitting in his recliner holding one little sputtering candle sipping on the remains of his Pepsi staring at a black TV screen… apes can swim can't they...

In honor of all you hurricane-harried folk, I'd like to sing a song from one of the greatest bands of our time.

*clears throat, takes sip of water*

*begins to sing in an operatic, warbly soprano*

Ridin' the storm out
Waiting for the fallout
On a full moon night in the Rocky Mountain winter
Wine bottle's low
Watching for the snow
I've been thinking about what I've been missing in the city

And I'm not missing a thing
Watching the full moon crossing the range
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out

Lady beside me
She's there to guide me
She says that alone we've finally found home
The wind outside is frightening
But it's kinder that the lightning life of the city
It's a hard life to live but it gives back what you give

And I'm not missing a thing
Watching the full moon crossing the range
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out

Here's hoping all your hatches stay battened down.

I am having a nervous breakdance
And the wind... cries... Mary...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
And the wind... cries... Mary...
hehehe, at least the kong can sing these to himself while nature does its thing.

Seriously tho, stay safe Kongini.

(tho Ani, and linespalsy, if you were over here in my little land, all the milk, bread and canned goods would have gone already too. That's what happened when our intriguing fuel "crisis"/blockade reached full effect over here a few years back. And during just about any "crisis" really )

Originally Posted by Golgot
(tho Ani, and linespalsy, if you were over here in my little land, all the milk, bread and canned goods would have gone already too. That's what happened when our intriguing fuel "crisis"/blockade reached full effect over here a few years back. And during just about any "crisis" really )
haha, my personal favorite disaster was y2k. i was working at shoprite at the time and we had a "run" on the water aisle. lots of corpulent old ladies asking me panickedly [as though i had some insider info], "gosh, do you think y2k'll really happen?"
response: "lady, for the amount of water i'm moving tonight, it had better ****ing happen."

but what does that have to do with hurricanes. one time i was actually camping in north carolina with my parents when we got struck by a hurricane. funny thing was that morning my dad had a run in with a cottonmouth that almost resulted in him getting bit. then it started to pour, and we were worried that the snake was gonna get carried down to the tent by the flood. good times.

incidentally, today was perfect. a bit windy but good for a bike ride. tomorrow's supposed to be great as well, i'm going to the beach. hope those of you who got hit worse fared okay.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong finally has power again!!!

Lots of trees fell down, some of them onto cars and houses. Some piers have been rendered non-existant. Some places flooded. Pretty much everyones power went out in this area (upwards of a million households or so). Very few gas stations and stores to buy groceries were open yesterday, so there were really long lines at those few shops.

Overall though, it wasn't too bad. The loss of power is really the worst part, and luckily Kong got his back on about an hour ago. Many people are still in the dark, and many businesses (like the ones Kong works for) can't open because they have no power.

Kong's home didn't suffer too bad. There was 48 hours of no power; the streets around his apartment building flooded a bit, but it never actually came up inside the building, and Kong lives on the 2nd floor anyways. It was pretty windy, and the cat was pretty scared. Kong spent his time drinking his pepsi and reading with a candle.

My life isn't written very well.
Well we're glad Kong is safe. Besides Isabel was just a gentle breeze to a giant ape such as yourself.

Slayc's that Kong and Annie have both been back, so Slay can relax now.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Slayc's that Kong and Annie have both been back, so Slay can relax now.
Thanks for caring Brian, and to everyone else who showed their concern. I really appreciate it.

Sexy...I live in the Baltimore/Washington D.C area. Did Manassas get hit very hard?

We're fine. Some of the neighborhoods still don't have power, but we're very fortunate to have ours. And we're thankful that our basement didn't flood.

Mary...I loved your song.

Kong...I'm glad to hear you're fine.