Tools    

My top 5 for this year:

1. Kill Bill: Vol. I
2. The Fast Runner
3. The Italian Job
4. Once Upon a Time in Mexico
5. X-2: X-Men United

I am having a nervous breakdance
Man, I have to catch Elephant and City of God a s a p. The dude who has the most influential tv program about film here in Sweden gave City of God 5/5, which doesn't happen very often, and he said that the new Scorsese was brazilian. Any comments on that one? A review on Elephant perhaps? Anyone? Holden??

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I do think this year has been a bit lacking...I was a big fan of last year (I thought it was a very good year for movies).

The movies thus far that qualify as classic for me are Master and Commander and Kill Bill, both of which are on my favorites list.

Holy bombs make holy holes...
Lost In Translation
Master And Commander
Mystic River
A Mighty Wind
Pirates Of The Caribean
Dennis: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how'd you get that eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

-The Holy Grail

Originally Posted by Steve
My favorite thing about Hoyts is that the fat goateed manager spends more time in the bar at Uno's than he does at the theater - it's always a treat to see him order Ultimate Dirty Bong Water. I've seen this personally four different times, & I have witnesses. Is he married? Because he's always there during happy hour.
Bruce? With the curly hair and glasses? Not married. I liked that guy. The one who always sits down at one of the tables during the day, right? He's not really a manager either... oh well, I don't work there anymore! Roman Colombo still does though. They made him a staff lead super fast.

Roman is a pretentious prick who means really well. I can't say I don't like the guy. Does he still think he's the best writer ever? That's what always bugged me about him.

Ah, my weakness for gossip finally surfaces on Mofo. Damn.

Roman is a pretentious prick who means really well. I can't say I don't like the guy. Does he still think he's the best writer ever? That's what always bugged me about him.
Roman is a great guy and he helped me get the job - however, he became quite frustrated with me, so I heard, after I quit the theatre. I don't blame him. But this will interest you - he was working with Bruce, the big bong water man, on some sort of screenplay and he wanted Bruce to film it with Regal employees - IN THE THEATRE. All I know is that he wanted me to play a bad guy with a secret. I dunno. My credits there have rolled.

Matchstick Men was especially awful...it's amazing to me that Ridley Scott is still regarded as a real filmmaker. He's made one good movie, Black Hawk Down...the rest have been dreadful. Nic Cage in Matchstick Men is fiending for another Oscar, obviously, and the con job is so trite and obvious so he has no room to breathe. The camera zooms and there's jump cuts and Alison Lohman struts around with her cute little ass and this is supposed to be a movie.
This more or less confirms my theory that it's far more difficult to criticize a film than it is to praise it. I can't for the life of me figure out what in Matchstick Men you see as being "trite" or "obvious," nor do I recall even once thinking that we were seeing disproportionate amounts of Alison Lohman's character being cute. The only criticism you could've made that I would've been able to accept is that Nicholas Cage, as well as he plays a neurotic, falls back on it a bit too often.

Anyway, on the topic of Ridley Scott: Gladiator was not "dreadful." It wasn't Best Picture material, and it's quite overrated, but I strongly suspect that you push your distaste of it primarily to offset the legions of fans it's amassed, many of whom proclaim it a modern classic. Hype and irrational praise aside, it was at least a decent film with a lot of technical skill.

IM me. Ni!
hello everyone. i'm a newbie. and i wanna ask: how do you quote here? i can't find the button to do it.

and someone said something earlier about seeing 28 days in the US and im the US and it can be rented at my movie place anyway

my top 5 in no order

scary movie 3 (i love those)
texas chainsaw massacre (i LOVE it)
freddy vs jason
and i cant think of anything else ive seen because i usually rent my movies

Originally Posted by Yoda
Anyway, on the topic of Ridley Scott: Gladiator was not "dreadful." It wasn't Best Picture material, and it's quite overrated, but I strongly suspect that you push your distaste of it primarily to offset the legions of fans it's amassed, many of whom proclaim it a modern classic. Hype and irrational praise aside, it was at least a decent film with a lot of technical skill.
I agree for the most part. I go for the best picture, (although I would've preferred a few other movies), and it isn't exactly one of the best film, but it is a great popcorn movie with a beautiful look to it. It isn't mind blowing, but it mind blowingly entertaining. Needless to say, I really liked it, but it is overrated on an almost general basis.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Ridley Scott.... Hannibal.... grrrrrrrr.
I like Ridley. (I liked Hannibal, yes...but it is about as far down on my list of good movies as I'm willing to take it...it was a great disappointment, but it did have plenty of redeeming factors) He gave us Blade Runner and Alien, and for that, I thank him.

Originally Posted by Nirvana9641
hello everyone. i'm a newbie. and i wanna ask: how do you quote here? i can't find the button to do it.

and someone said something earlier about seeing 28 days in the US and im the US and it can be rented at my movie place anyway

my top 5 in no order

scary movie 3 (i love those)
texas chainsaw massacre (i LOVE it)
freddy vs jason
and i cant think of anything else ive seen because i usually rent my movies
Howdy!

Have you seen the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

How old are you?

IM me. Ni!
im 13 yrs old. i did see maybe 3/4 of the original. it wasn't much worse, but i like the new one better. probably because of mike vogel but don't get me started.

and
please go to www.john-lennon.com/petition and sign

Well good.

IM me. Ni!
ok i figured out how to quote im an idiot

I ate all your bees.
1) Kill Bill
2) Pirates of the Carribean
3) X-Men 2
4) T3
5) Bad Boys 2

I probably would have Once upon a Time in Mexico there, but its yet to be released in Australia

Have you seen Master and Commander yet?

how do i brows my own avatar

I ate all your bees.
Master and Commander is also yet to be released in Australia, hell SWAT is opening next week....

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
I probably would have Once upon a Time in Mexico there, but its yet to be released in Australia
It was supposed to be yesterday but i called the cinema and they claim they havent been sent any prints???

Oh and just saw Mystic River and that deservers a top 5 spot
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Master and Commander is also yet to be released in Australia, hell SWAT is opening next week....
Dang...I'm sorry....on the upside, you get a lot of movies that aren't released at all in the states (well, a few anyway).