Your top 5 of the year so far...

Tools    

Name's Charly, the spy!
Originally posted by Kong
You'll definitely get the chance to see Finding Nemo, and The Good Thief, but Kong isn't sure if the other two have theatrical distribution plans in Australia. You might have to wait for the DVDs of those, but maybe not...
We'll definately be seeing He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not. Better Luck Tomorrow may hit the festival circuit but I doubt whether it'll get an oz release.

i havent seen many movies this year but i like bruce almighty, matrix, a man apart (a lotta ppl die), and X2

Steve, have you seen any other Guy Maddin films? The only one Kong has seen is Tales From the Gimli Hospital and, although Kong enjoyed it's visual style, he didn't think there was enough story to justify it's length (which is pretty short anyways). Kong was thinking of checking out Careful next. Have you seen it? What did you think of it? Anything else of his that you'd recommend?
The Heart of the World is five minutes of chaos. It's probably the best movie to come out in its year, & it should be required viewing. I loved Careful & highly recommend it. Those are the only two I've seen, unfortunately, but I there's wind of a DVD set soon - can't wait.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by Steve

The Heart of the World is five minutes of chaos. It's probably the best movie to come out in its year, & it should be required viewing. I loved Careful & highly recommend it. Those are the only two I've seen, unfortunately, but I there's wind of a DVD set soon - can't wait.
Kong will check out Careful pretty soon then (the concept is extremely interesting.

Maddin's other upcoming project The Saddest Music in the World sounds promising as well. The film is about a contest held in Canada during the Great Depression to find out which culture has the saddest music, and thereby has suffered the most. The winner gets sympathy and money. Maddin collaborated with Kazuo Ishiguro (who adapted Remains of the Day for the screen) on the project. Could be interesting...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Top five so far....Have there been five good movies this year?

5. DareDevil - It's flawed, but worthy.

4. Old School - Almost as funny as Animal House.

3. I can't think of a three, so....

2. Identity - a twisty mind-f*ck of a movie, second only to :

1. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Supposedly this came out in 2002, but unless you live in New York or Los Angeles, it came out in 2003! Nothing so far can touch it's brilliance!!!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

if ur lookin for #3 u should see X2 or bruce almighty. identity is a good pick, so is old school. (sure its not from '02?) also, the in laws is pretty good, kinda funny and has sum action too.

i also liked house uv 100 corpses, i thoguht it was hilarious. so gorey and bloody. it looks fake, but i didnt care.

I forgot Man on the Train, that's a great movie too.

I must become Caligari..!
Aus Dates

5. Buffalo Soldiers

4. Tape

3. Mystic River

2. American Splendor

1. 25th Hour

EDIT:Swaped Phone Booth With Ned Kelly

EDIT:Swaped Pushed ned kelly down for Buffalo soldiers

EDIT:Splendor, Number 2

EDIT:Tape, Number 3

EDIT:Mystic 3, Tape 4, GONY out
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I have only seen a few movies in the theatre this year so here it is:

1. X2
2. Finding Nemo

I also watched The Matrix Reloaded but I thought it was a waste of my money so it doesn't deserve spot #3 on my list.

for me:

1. gangs of new york
2.matrix reloladed

why are so many ppl disapointed by matrix 2?

i thought it a visual treat, with an original plot.

Originally posted by rocklarky
why are so many ppl disapointed by matrix 2?

i thought it a visual treat, with an original plot.
Overlong speeches filled with crackpot philosophy sandwiched between contrived fights.

Anyways, Kong's top five has changed since he started this thread. Here is the revised list:

5. Spider
4. The Good Thief
3. Finding Nemo
2. Better Luck Tomorrow
1. Nowhere in Africa

and what exactly did u expect from the sequel?

Originally posted by rocklarky
and what exactly did u expect from the sequel?
Something that built itself up in a more evenhanded fashion.

Im in Australia, fortunately I work in teh video industry so I get promos in advance for films. My faves of this year in Oz-

BELOW
MAY
SPIDER
IDENTITY
FRAILTY

Originally posted by Deckard
BELOW
MAY
SPIDER
IDENTITY
FRAILTY
Kong is going to check out Below somtime soon, and May hasn't bee released here yet. As for the other three...

Spider ***1/2
Identity ***
Frailty **1/2 (Kong liked some aspects, but overall it was dissappointing for him.)

kong, it wasnt uneven..........

Ten minutes of fast paced action then ten minutes of slow ass conversations then ten minutes of fast past action and then ten minutes of slow ass conversations and on and on and on. It felt like Kong was in a car that kept driving and stopping and driving and stopping. It may not have been uneven for you, but it sure as hell was for Kong.

1. Nowhere in Africa
I thought this movie was awfully contrived. It worked great as a tearjerker, but the pacing was all off and the cliches became much more apparent as a consequence. I liked a good bit of it, but come on...did Oguoye or whoever have to return?

I've gotta side with you on Reloaded, though. The movie was like one of those epic briefers that plays before the Final Fantasy games. Also, is it just me, or is Trinity the ugliest female action lead of all time? She looks like a spokesperson for Philip-Morris.