Kong's Top Three Documentaries of the 1990's

Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
Note: There are a number of acclaimed documentaries from 90's that Kong has not seen such as The War Room, and Fast, Cheap & Out of Control. Obviously Kong can only include the ones he has seen, and out of those there are three that stand above the rest. They are presented in no particular order.

Baraka (1993): A combination of some of the most beautiful images set to film with unusual and entrancing music without any dialogue that somehow coalesces into a rewarding visceral experience. Director Ron Fricke, cinematographer for Koyaanisqatsi, filmed in 24 countries capturing some of the most exquisite places (natural, and man-made) as well as some of the most resonant portraits of people (from people in religious ceremonies, to people searching for scraps of food in a trash dump). All of the film's parts align into an incredible statement on the world and it's people, the fragility of earth, the beauty of nature and mankind (as well as it's ugliness), and the connectiveness, so often ignored, that binds everything together.

Crumb (1994): A eerily captaviting look at the legendary underground cartoonist Robert Crumb (mostly famous for "Keep on Truckin'", and "Fritz the Cat"). Crumb doesn't seem to hold anything back, and we are at once drawn to his humor and charisma, as well as repelled by his sexism, fetishes, and possible racism. Crumb's childhood at may first appear normal, but we soon find deep trauma within it. We recognize Crumb's obsessions and faults are partly responses to his wounding childhood enviroment. The damaging effects of the disfunctionality he grew up in can be seen even better in his brothers whose lives are truly tragic. By the end of the film Crumb has become more of a survivor to us than a madman; someone who was able to harnass the power of art and save himself from a worse fate.

Hoop Dreams (1994): Steve James' sometimes uplifting, sometimes upsetting documentary on two young inner-city NBA hopefuls. James' followed Arthur Agee and Willaim Gates from just before their freshman year in high school through their freshman year in college while they pursue a dream whose chance of fruition seems incredibly small. The film not only captures the victories and defeats they encounter on the court, but also those they face off-court, as well as the oppressing difficulties of life surrounded by and embedded in poverty. We watch the boys mature and grow with fondness, and we sit distressingly impotent as hardships unfold in their paths. An amazing, inspiring, and yet unsettling and draining journey of a film.

Comment/Insult/Critique or what have you.

VISIONS OF LIGHT: The Art of Cinematography
1992 - Glassman, Samuels & McCarthy

Fantastic look at film photography, from the earliest days of silents to the modern masters, featuring interviews with a couple dozen D.P.s from different generations and a hundred examples of film as the artform that it is. It will enrich a film buff's love of the screen image, and introduce the uninitiated into the world of cinematography. Simply a must for any movie lover.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
1991 - Bahr & Hickenlooper

It'll have to fight it out with Burden of Dreams (1982) and Lost in LaMancha (2002), but this is certainly one of the best behind the scenes glimpses of a chaotic movie production ever committed to film. From Coppola's enormous ego to Marcos taking the choppers back to fight rebels in the hills to Martin Sheen's heart attack to Brando showing up the size of a rhino and without having read the book, it's amazing Apocalypse Now was ever finished.

Mr. Death: The Rise & Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.
1999 - Errol Morris

Leuchter is a strange social misfit who's day job is redesigning execution chambers to be more efficient. But Fred later makes waves by becoming a key witness in some other wacko's claim that The Holocaust never happened, using Fred's supposedly expert testimony. Leuchter honestly believes he can scientifically prove the Nazi gas chambers are a myth. The great documentarian Errol Morris dissects this ridiculous claim, all while glimpsing inside the mind of this strange man who is revealed as naïve and not harboring any kind of evil agenda.

Also, check out THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
I absolutely love Hoop Dreams!!! I own a copy...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991 - Bahr & Hickenlooper)
It'll have to fight it out with Burden of Dreams (1982) and Lost in LaMancha (2002), but this is certainly one of the best behind the scenes glimpses of a chaotic movie production ever comitted to film. From Coppola's enormous ego to Marcos taking the choppers back to fight rebels in the hills to Martin Sheen's heart attack to Brando showing up the size of a rhino and without having read the book, it's amazing Apocalypse Now was ever finished.
Kong hasn't seen it, but Kong can't imagine that it would be able compare with Burden of dreams if Burden of Dreams had actually been able to document much of the trouble involved in Fitzcarraldo. Kong's heard some great stuff about this one so he'll be checking it out soon.

Mighty fine list "Kong & Holden"..............escpecially with BARAKA. This is one of my all time favourite celluloid experiences ever. There is a cinema that is near my house that has been playing it on the bigscreen every Sunday night for about 6 years. A true experience with soem of the finest cienmatography ever captured.

To those already mention I would add:

GRASS- hilarious doco tracing the history of drug control and marijuana in the US.

MICROCOSMOS- Like Baraka this movie uses state of the art photography and music alone o create a mood as we observe the alien world of insects. There is a scene of two snails mating to opera that will leave you stunned and touched.

ONE DAY IN SEPTEMBER- One hell of an experience.. More taut than any cinematic thriller, through actual footage and interviews with key players we are told the story of the 1971 Munich games where 12 Israel athletes were taken hostage by the Black September terrorist group. The use of music from the time is the icing on the cake to create an experience you will NEVER forget.

WACO: Rules Of Engagement- eye opening documentary that examines what really happened in Texas that day. Even if only 70% is true its a scary picture indeed. (Won the academy award)

Baraka takes first prize in my book.............

mind blowing and awesome......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I must become Caligari..!
Executions 1995

Althoght you could say i did not enjoy this docco is was certinly brilliant

From IMDB
This objective documentary on the death penalty and state sponsored killing looks at the social, political and moral impact of these methods of death. The film is separated into chapters on various execution styles and uses the theme of humane death in every segment.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse 1991

As Holden Said Before

Bowling for Columbine 2002

Brilliant, Moore is a genius
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Originally posted by Deckard
Mighty fine list "Kong & Holden"..............escpecially with BARAKA. This is one of my all time favourite celluloid experiences ever. There is a cinema that is near my house that has been playing it on the bigscreen every Sunday night for about 6 years. A true experience with soem of the finest cienmatography ever captured.

To those already mention I would add:

GRASS- hilarious doco tracing the history of drug control and marijuana in the US.

MICROCOSMOS- Like Baraka this movie uses state of the art photography and music alone o create a mood as we observe the alien world of insects. There is a scene of two snails mating to opera that will leave you stunned and touched.

ONE DAY IN SEPTEMBER- One hell of an experience.. More taut than any cinematic thriller, through actual footage and interviews with key players we are told the story of the 1971 Munich games where 12 Israel athletes were taken hostage by the Black September terrorist group. The use of music from the time is the icing on the cake to create an experience you will NEVER forget.

WACO: Rules Of Engagement- eye opening documentary that examines what really happened in Texas that day. Even if only 70% is true its a scary picture indeed. (Won the academy award)

Kong would love to see Baraka on the big screen; bet it looks amazing.

Kong hasn't seen WACO: ROE, or Grass.

One Day in September is a very good film, but it's style leaves Kong feeling a bit mixed. It makes the whole thing almost thrilling which seems like a bad idea. None-the-less it is eye-opening.

Microcosmos is a really cool movie as well. It doesn't have near the depth of Baraka, but it's a fun film. The photography, and audio the recorded is quite remarkable considering the very small scale of the subjects.

Originally posted by Hondo333
Executions 1995

Althoght you could say i did not enjoy this docco is was certinly brilliant

From IMDB
This objective documentary on the death penalty and state sponsored killing looks at the social, political and moral impact of these methods of death. The film is separated into chapters on various execution styles and uses the theme of humane death in every segment.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse 1991

As Holden Said Before

Bowling for Columbine 2002

Brilliant, Moore is a genius
Haven't seen Executions, but will try to see it soon (sounds interesting).

Kong watched Hearts of Darkness and enjoyed the film, but it wasn't near as gripping as the three listed in Kong's original post.

Bowling for Columbine was put together very well, but Kong has some serious issues with the leniency Moore grants himself concerning accuracy. Moore really needs to rethink the direction he is heading.

my suggestions (sorry I can not give a top 3)

-talking about Baraka, there is also Chronos,similar but yet no humans are captured if Im not mistaken (and offcourse the Koyaanisqatsi,Powaqatsi...silent docu's)

-Manufacturing Dissent (about tracking down Michael Moore,trying to do an interview,after a year of following him it doesnt seem to ever happen...And what you learn from it is that he is a good manipulator of film. ex;by changing the chronologie of certain events ,some things look different....includes a lot of inteviews whit people close to him)

-American Movie (suburban-style,bout a guy trying to finnish his feature film,some melancholic moments,some funny moments...really worth a watch)

-everything Louis Theroux,great docu-maker/interviewer.

-Man On Wire, (french fellow rope-ballancing from the one wtc tower to the other) (!!!)

-No Direction Home (bob dylan)

-Zeitgeist (religion,war,economy,must watch)

-Anvil : the story of anvil (must watch,touching stupidity)

-Dark Days (people living in home made wooden and cartboard little houses in abandoned subwaystations NY)

No question what the top doc of the 90's is for me.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (1996)

Not sure that I could narrow it to three, certainly not without seeing them again, but here's a shortlist of those I'd take another look at.

Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer (1992)
American Movie (1999)
American Pimp (1999)
Beyond The Mat (1999)
Fetishes (1996)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
One Day In September (1999)
The Leader, His Driver and the Driver's Wife (1991)
A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (1995) (as this is tv, I don't know if it counts or not)
Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist (1997)
When We Were Kings (1996)

Of course, there's still documentaries from the decade that I've yet to see, as well as stuff that I ones that I'm not even aware of.