Hero

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by archaeopteryx
The movie was overly winded and dragged for a while.. some seens wwere highly silly too... Like the king running around with his sword making car noises!
Glad I'm not the only one who found that scene ridiculous. I thought the movie was pretty good. It was kinda tedious having to see the story played out so many different times but the cinematography was just awesome.

Originally Posted by natzo
Glad I'm not the only one who found that scene ridiculous. I thought the movie was pretty good. It was kinda tedious having to see the story played out so many different times but the cinematography was just awesome.
LOL yeah, while I may nag about it being winded and such.. Ill more then likley buy the DVD.. its a true man movie Beer and pizza! Lucky for me too its also one of my most popular reviews on my website :-P

HERO
Staring Jet Li could have been a truly kick ass martial arts movie, I say could have because it was not kick ass in any way shape or form. In fact there was very little hard hitting action which usually comes hand in hand with pictures of its type. Im not saying the movie was the worst ive ever seen, just borring very very borring. The plot was good but it was told three diffirent times by the flims lead charcters who each saw the tale a diffrent way. The long drawn out scenes left you neither carring about the story nor wondering where it would end up. Furthermore the action was overly stylized and even managed to be less exciting than the stoy itself. I give this second rate Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon rip off a 3 out of 10.

Tell me what you tought of this picture, and list your favorite martial arts movies.

Sincerly yours Gibbyg.
Thank you.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Wow....... I thought this was a good and entertaining film, but I guess that the movie wasn't really your style, I thought the action was good, the story was entertaining, and I loved how it all meant something in a weird way....

If you put it that way sure, it was sort of dissapointing, but what were u looking for, a high octane martial arts film with a hip hop back beat? Go see Romeo must die for that kind of stuff. (Still good movies I might add.)
I thought 'Hero' was absolutley beautiful. It really put meaning to the word 'Art' in Martial arts. Instead of Martial Arts as just being means of destroying your opponent, it was more like partners in a ballet with swords.
Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, along with the swordplay and the martial ballet the scenes were beautiful. Especially the use of color to blend into the mountains, calm lakes, and thunderous castles.
If compared to 'Crouching', I say Crouching has the edge in the story telling and acting, while "Hero' slightly wins in scenery and grace.
One line in a review I read somewhere sums 'Hero' up best. ...."Hero only has two dimensions, but they're both stunningly beautiful.'...

motivationally deficient
If anyone watches this film expecting realistic martial arts they will be very dissapointed. i am absolutly sick and tired of my friends saying that its stupid because "people cant fly or walk on water!"... what do you expect. Sure crouching tiger hidden dragon has a better plot and is more realistic but it still has chineses dudes running over roof tops. the idea of this film for me is about imagery and the beuatiful chinese lanscapes. this film delivers a simple plot in order to focus on the breathtaking scenery, colour and the incredible deuls. the best would have to be nameless's fight with Sky in the dripping chinese pagoda. Brilliant stuff. Along with House of Flying Daggers this type of film could be a whole new sub-genre for martial arts movies.

Yeah...I didnt like it because of the over the top fight scenes...

Its probably a good movie, but for some reason after seeing all the previews I expected a down to earth mega death fight movie...the title hero made me think of one guy fighting an entire army at once. When people started flying through the air and running across water I thought "OMFG WTF STFU RIGHT NOW HOW UNl33t!!1!oneoneone!".

Basically, if you like Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon you will certainly get a kick out of this...its just that I didn't.

The martial arts were a little over the top but I think it worked perfectly for the movie.

The story was a lot more moving then I expected.

this movie was absolutly crazy, i loved how the clothing changed during every retelling

motivationally deficient
Originally Posted by tommygun
Yeah...I didnt like it because of the over the top fight scenes...

Its probably a good movie, but for some reason after seeing all the previews I expected a down to earth mega death fight movie...the title hero made me think of one guy fighting an entire army at once. When people started flying through the air and running across water I thought "OMFG WTF STFU RIGHT NOW HOW UNl33t!!1!oneoneone!".

Basically, if you like Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon you will certainly get a kick out of this...its just that I didn't.
good point tommygun, this movie definetly would not appeal to everyone.

The reason some did not like this movie is because they went in expecting another CTHD. It was not supposed to be anything other than what it is. I think it was a great movie with great effects. Surley if you like fantasy/martial arts then you should enjoy this film. The "over the top" scenes are supposed to be over the top; it is a film about magic and good vs whatever. Sometimes one has to let loose in order to have fun, but then I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes. Great movie, great fun, great effects. Of course this is only IMHO.

The Green Lantern
I thought it was an incredible movie. Poetry in motion. Granted it was subtitled, but it was great all the same.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I have not seen this yet and I expect I will enjoy it, but a friend of mine disliked it so much that he claimed to have been physically sick for a week after seeing it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's a beautiful film, the plot's not the strongest but with visuals like that I don't really care. Besides, any reason to spend 90 minutes gazing at Maggie Cheung has gotta be worthwhile.

Although it's not my favorite martial arts film, I have to agree with trotskyist. When you go into a movie like this, you don't expect realism. I did like the imagery, and the style of the film. It was not just a martial arts film. It was a much deeper film than that. As far as being over the top, I don't think so. If you want over the top, try "The Matrix" ... that was just a video game.

I like "House of Flying Dagger" much much more.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought the movie was decent, not as great as people say. The water fight was boring and stupid to me.

The best part of the film do indeed belong to the fight sequences, but lets not forget the beautiful cinematography.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I have not seen this yet and I expect I will enjoy it, but a friend of mine disliked it so much that he claimed to have been physically sick for a week after seeing it.
LOL, I felt that way after Natural Born Killers

The constant reinventing of the plot ruined the structure of this movie; it just became more and more meaningless, the characters more impossible to care about.

The fight scenes, while exciting and good-looking, weren't the most inspired and weren't enough to rescue the movie.

I too think House of Flying Daggers is a greatly superior film.

i like thist movie