What Are Songs That Make You Think About The Film That Used It Rather

Tools    

Here, I am talking about songs that weren't originally made for the film that pretty much became a creation of the film in your eyes. That when you hear the song "Where Is My Mind", you don't think about the Pixies but rather, you go: "Oh, this is the song from Fight Club!".

Each time I listen to "Shape Of My Heart", I just think about "Leon: The Professional" and how it perfectly describes Leon's character arc rather than say how nice is that Sting is getting more recognition for this song by having it be used it for a movie.

When I hear "Hip To Be Square", I just think about the iconic quotes from "American Psycho" rather than the band itself, even though the film does mention the group.

Needless to say, "Don't You Forget About Me" makes me think of The Breakfast Club and "If You Leave" reminds me of Pretty in Pink. George Benson's "On Broadway" always brings to mind All that Jazz.

A bucket of anxiety
An easy one is "I Need A Hero," I always think of Shrek 2, and as a matter of fact, that whole soundtrack takes me right back to the movie.
Another one is "Immigrants" by Led Zepplin. You'd think it's Thor it reminds me of. But no, it reminds me of School of Rock because that's the first time I heard. But most recently, "Season Of The Witch," induces terror because Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark was one of the most terrifying film experiences I've had in a long time. I'm pretty sure there's more, but those are the first that come to mind.

Also basically any song used in Pulp Fiction, notably Son of Preacher Man.

We’ll Meet Again used in Dr. Strangelove.

Put on Your Sunday Clothes from Hello Dolly used in Wall-E

"Stuck In The Middle With You" in Reservoir Dogs is my typical go to answer

When I hear "Hip To Be Square", I just think about the iconic quotes from "American Psycho" rather than the band itself, even though the film does mention the group.
That's an especially good one in that its shifted how a lot of people actually view the track and Lewis in the video now seems to have a murderous blandness to him.

I can't listen to Bowie's Modern Love without thinking of Denis Lavant cavorting down the street...

I think a good example would be all the Cranberries songs used in Butterfly Kiss (1995).

But most recently, "Season Of The Witch," induces terror because Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark was one of the most terrifying film experiences I've had in a long time.
A horror film that scares you? Sounds good to me .

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Magic by Mick Smiley immediately reminds me of Ghostbusters and Almost Like Being in Love reminds me of Groundhog Day. Let My Love Open the Door reminds me of Look Who's Talking. And Let it Snow always reminds me of the last scene of Die Hard.

I can't help thinking about Eyes Wide Shut when I hear the Waltz number 2 from Dmitri Shostakovich

Which reminds me that anything used in 2001: A Space Odyssey reminds me of that film.

Can't think of anything else but Tom Cruise dancing in Risky Business when I hear Bob Seger's Old Time Rock n Roll

Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" always makes me think of Zodiac.
I think that's one of the two Donovan songs used in Girls Against Boys. Juxtaposing them with what's happening is effectively sinister.

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME THE WORLD IS GONNA ROLE ME
In 1999-2003 anyway. These days I'd say All Along the Watchtower cover by Hendrix. Everyone complains about bwamps but I kind of like em.