Seabiscuit - A Kong Review

→ in
Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
Seabiscuit was the little horse who could. He was too small, walked with a limp, and had a jockey who was too big and blind in one eye. Yet, somehow they managed too overcome their underdog status, become champions, and capture that adoration of millions of down-and-out depressioners looking to overcome themselves. Seabiscuit the movie might be a bit of an underdog itself. It's about horses, the Great Depression, and it's special effects don't involve towering fireballs and lame car chases which makes this movie very different from your usual summer flick. It's just too bad that ends up being a little disappointing.

There is no doubt that Seabiscuit was made with deft skill on all parts, but, from the standpoint of the writing and directing, this skill was sadly misdirected. Gary Ross, director of the fantastic Pleasantville, constructs Seabisctuit with the audience seemingly the first and most important thing on his mind. This lends an unauthentic air to every scene despite the nice cinematography and good acting. It's as if every scene is made more to try to please us than to just simply tell the story, and this is probably why the film follows the generic sports movie formula sans romance to such a 'T'.

Seabiscuit isn't a bad film, just a bit underwhelming. The story is an interesting one, it's beautifully filmed, and the cast is terrific, but it's also overwrought, it's characters slightly uninteresting, and it sets it's goals to be higher than just telling us a good tale.

**1/2 of ****

Note: Kong suggests that everyone here at MoFo go see this film. Whenever Kong dislikes a movie here everyone else seems to love it, so there is no reason why this would be an exception.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Thanks for the review Kong.

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say!

Hey Kong,

I nearly always dig the films you do, the only two we are chalk and cheese on are THE DIRTY DOZEN & FRAILTY. Hell no one can have exactly the same opinions on every film...

As far as SEABISCUIT goes Im still looking forward to it hitting the sunny shores of OZ, but was am not excpectinga masterpiece just entertaining cinema.

Originally Posted by Deckard
Hey Kong,

I nearly always dig the films you do, the only two we are chalk and cheese on are THE DIRTY DOZEN & FRAILTY. Hell no one can have exactly the same opinions on every film...

As far as SEABISCUIT goes Im still looking forward to it hitting the sunny shores of OZ, but was am not excpectinga masterpiece just entertaining cinema.
It's definitely not a masterpiece, but you very well might enjoy it; it seems like most of the critics are. Kong is sure you'll notice flaws and feel the way it tries to tug at the heartstrings without doing the appropriate legwork (like developing interesting characters), but it does have some very good qualities and Kong can certainly see where people might find them to be redeeming for it's more negative ones. Anyways, let Kong know what you think once you get the chance to see it.

My life isn't written very well.
Hey Kong, I have an idea: Will you start a thread in which we tell you movies that we are about to see and you give us a review of it? I like your reviews, but I don't want to search for every one them.
For instance I'm about to watch a movie "Rodger Dodger". I'd like to read a short review--perhaps just a few lines--by you about it. What do you think?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Hey Kong, I have an idea: Will you start a thread in which we tell you movies that we are about to see and you give us a review of it? I like your reviews, but I don't want to search for every one them.
For instance I'm about to watch a movie "Rodger Dodger". I'd like to read a short review--perhaps just a few lines--by you about it. What do you think?
Kong guesses he could do that; Kong'll make it tomorrow sometime (getting to tired to write coherently tonight). Unfortunately, Kong's memory of Roger Dodger is a bit shady, maybe Kong will remember more after a good night's sleep. Kong did like the movie though, and he originally gave it *** of ****.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I kind of diagree with you here, my fellow member of the ape family. I thought that Seabiscuit was a fantastic movie, with well done performances and some good old fashioned filmmaking SKILL, rather than the 90 minute music videos we have to suffer though nowadays. I liked this more than anything else this summer because it wasn't a "Thrill-ride" that will "Blow you away!" I'm getting old, I guess, but pretty much all the summer movies this year were stupid wastes of time for me. Seabiscuit is well worth 9 bucks, possibly more. I will be seeing this again.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I kind of diagree with you here, my fellow member of the ape family. I thought that Seabiscuit was a fantastic movie, with well done performances and some good old fashioned filmmaking SKILL, rather than the 90 minute music videos we have to suffer though nowadays. I liked this more than anything else this summer because it wasn't a "Thrill-ride" that will "Blow you away!" I'm getting old, I guess, but pretty much all the summer movies this year were stupid wastes of time for me. Seabiscuit is well worth 9 bucks, possibly more. I will be seeing this again.
Kong figured he'd be in a small minority on this one. Kong certainly does agree that the vast majority of the big summer films have been worthless, and Seabiscuit is certainly one of the more mature offerings of the summer. But, it was just a bit too sappy and generic for Kong's liking.

Put me in your pocket...
Thought this thread should be bumped up.

Originally Posted by Kong
But, it was just a bit too sappy and generic for Kong's liking.
I like sappy.

We watched this on New Years eve with our kids and we all really enjoyed it. As everyone's said, it's a well done movie with a nice old fashioned story.

Nice review Kong.

Sir Toose liked this movie much more than Sir Toose thought he would. Sir Toose thought he would be bored with the subject matter but instead he found Jeff Bridges portrayal quite fun to watch. Sir Toose was underwhelmed by McGuire but he almost always is so it was no great surprise.

I never saw this movie... maybe I will, some day! I hear Tobey Maguire is great as the one-eyed jockey and Jeff Bridges shines as his coach.

Originally Posted by thoughtprovoker
I never saw this movie... maybe I will, some day! I hear Tobey Maguire is great as the one-eyed jockey and Jeff Bridges shines as his coach.

chris cooper was marvelous in this as well..the horse racing wasn't bad either...

this was one of the feel good movies of 2003..i thoroughly enjoyed this one

Originally Posted by susan
chris cooper was marvelous in this as well..the horse racing wasn't bad either...

this was one of the feel good movies of 2003..i thoroughly enjoyed this one
Yeah, I guess the horse was the real star of the movie! Lol!

I finally saw Seabiscuit this weekend, and I have to say, it was a brilliant movie. I totally enjoyed it. Very inspiring and great performances all round. The horse definitely stole the show! (Actually, I believe that there were 10 horses who played the role of Seabiscuit all in all, but they were all stars in their own right!) Great movie.

I liked this one, any movies about animals gets a smile from me.

I was surprised how good this movie was. I was expecting something pretty hackneyed and stale, but this movie was remarkable and very enjoyable. I should have known that anything with Jeff Bridges in it is bound to be original.