The Boondock Saints

→ in
Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
So, Kong just finished watching The Boondock Saints and although it's a slick, and stylish, there is a serious dearth of substance. Sure, it's entertaining on some levels, but the premise of vigilantism seems to be little more than a gimmick to film some cool action actions. Kong doesn't remember hearing even one negative comment concerning the vigilantism until the end credits are rolling and they show a faux news clip of pedestrian interviews. Other than that, the film feels like an endorsement of a take-the-law-into-your-own-hands lifestyle.

Mindless action films are one thing, but to try and build a movie around moral principles and then fail to follow up in any meaningful way is another. If the filmmakers needed an excuse to film some cool gun fights they could have found a better one; if they were trying to make a statement, then...

** of ****

Originally Posted by Kong
So, Kong just finished watching The Boondock Saints and although it's a slick, and stylish, there is a serious dearth of substance. Sure, it's entertaining on some levels, but the premise of vigilantism seems to be little more than a gimmick to film some cool action actions. Kong doesn't remember hearing even one negative comment concerning the vigilantism until the end credits are rolling and they show a faux news clip of pedestrian interviews. Other than that, the film feels like an endorsement of a take-the-law-into-your-own-hands lifestyle.

Mindless action films are one thing, but to try and build a movie around moral principles and then fail to follow up in any meaningful way is another. If the filmmakers needed an excuse to film some cool gun fights they could have found a better one; if they were trying to make a statement, then...

** of ****

It's scary when you agree with everything someone says.

Wow. I've never heard such proselytizing BS in my entire life.

Boondock Saints was a bad movie because there were bad men in the film committing bad acts of vigilantism? Oh my.

People: it was a movie. And it wasn't an action movie. It is what's called a satire.

By your own set of near-sighted standards, then Pulp Fiction was bad because it glorified the hit-man through stylized, cavalier dialogue. And Natural Born Killers was bad because it minimalized senseless, random killing. So what? They were meant to do these things. They were social satires.

I finally got around to watching Boondock Saints tonight after hearing the occasional cult suggestion here and there. I found the movie utterly hilarious. Everything from the exploding cat (ha!, you animal-worshipping, PC Nazis) to the gay love-taps of Dafoe to the unforgettable introduction of Connelly's character to the iron cauterizing scene, represented over-the-top, black-comedy satire at its finest.

While at times the movie appeared as if it didn't know what it wanted to be, I never felt the style was forced or contrived, but merely original. That's because the pace-- dominated by its relentless streak of dark humor-- never skipped a beat.

I really enjoyed this film, and it is definitely the first movie I have seen in a while that gets better as it progresses.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I didn't think it was deviod of substance. It had worlds of more substance than the Transporter.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Karl Childers
That's funny, Kong didn't think he was proselytizing at all. Could you point out where Kong tried to "persuade" you "to do or join something"? Expressing one's opinion on a film is hardly proselytizing, so don't attack Kong for speaking his mind, that's what these forums are for.

Boondock Saints was a bad movie because there were bad men in the film committing bad acts of vigilantism? Oh my.
No.

People: it was a movie. And it wasn't an action movie. It is what's called a satire.
It was an action movie. It can also be a satire at the same time (look up the word "duality"), although exactly what it's supposed to satire isn't clear to Kong.

By your own set of near-sighted standards, then Pulp Fiction was bad because it glorified the hit-man through stylized, cavalier dialogue. And Natural Born Killers was bad because it minimalized senseless, random killing. So what? They were meant to do these things. They were social satires.
By Kong's own set of near-sighted standards? Please, you imposed the "Boondock Saints was a bad movie because there were bad men in the film committing bad acts of vigilantism?" standard onto Kong. The only thing Kong agrees with here is NBK is a bad movie, although not for the reasons you listed.

While at times the movie appeared as if it didn't know what it wanted to be, I never felt the style was forced or contrived, but merely original. That's because the pace-- dominated by its relentless streak of dark humor-- never skipped a beat.
Original? Duffy is dying to be Tarantino.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
A few comments:

I thought NBK was a great movie. (It had meaning, and it was very original in the way it was shot....I thought it was great.)

Boondock Saints is dying to be like a Tarantino pic.

I did, however, think the types of characters used was fairly original compared to the characters that are usually used as devices for great/cool action scenes. (This doesn't make the film original mind you. Just less of a formula movie)

While there are undertones of a message somewhere, I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, or that it was even intended. (It could always be, crime doesn't pay, or the media loves violence...etc.)

Some people might have issues with the vigilantism themes in the movie, but it didn't bother me. I found it to be the same difference as the hitmen in Pulp Fiction (although PF used the characters much better and to an effect).

I felt that the overall movie, while not original, was pretty darn good. (A very good Tarantino ripoff.) It fused Tarantino coolness with cool action. It was very entertaining to say the least. The plot was pretty good, the acting was good, so...I'd vote .

You have been Juged!!!!
I thank the boondock saints is a great movie I have heard people trying to compair it to Guy Ritchie and Tarantino's stuf all the time and personaly i thank it is better than all of there stuf(except kill bill which it is tied with) An I love to see people get pissed of at movies becouse of stuf like this it's jist so funny I personaly were glade they were killing those people becouse they were way worse than they were but realy non of it was men't to be taken so sirriously I mean liten up its a movie

Someone Save Us College Kids
Originally Posted by Kong

** of ****
jesus i was getting ready to write a review of it. I thought the movie was sweet

I give it 2/5, only because a 1 would be a little harsh, it was trying to be Leon meets Reservoir Dogs and failed miserably.

I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
I also felt the movie had some issues. I loved the style, enough to find myself liking the film almost immediately. After some time had passed, however, my admiration dwindled. The bearded fellow, can't remember the name, was extremely annoying and I felt was kind of the Jar Jar of this film. Cornball lines combined with constant overacting had me shaking my head at this film shortly after his appearance, which is, unfortunately, quite early. I also wasn't a big fan of:

WARNING: "Boon Dock Saints" spoilers below
The whole tie in with the father figure in prison reinforcing the idea that vigilantism is still fine, even after spending your entire life in a cell.

_S

Boondock Saints is a great movie, and I think you guys are missing some points that make it awesome. First, the way it is put together, showing the scene of the crime, then letting the detectives work backwards to enlighten the audience. And the score! The music in this movie matched up perfectly with what was happening, or added another dimension to a scene that wasnt there before (like when they are shopping for guns and the 50's pop song is playing). And then there is the hidden comedy that makes this not just an action film, but hilarious at parts. I personally have never heard a bad thing about this movie until I saw this forum.

Boondock Saints, definately one of my favorites next to Momento.
I actually classified it as a comedy.

Lighten up Kongy. Smooches

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.
Whatever. I don't think you know what the word "means" means.........................