Pieces of April

→ in
Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
So, Kong saw this year's only Thanksgiving film (that he knows of) Pieces of April and enjoyed it quite a lot.

The Plot: April (Katie Holmes) has invited her family to New York City for Thanksgiving dinner because she hasn't gotten along with them in the past and she would like to make amends before her mother dies from the late stages cancer. The film cuts between three concurrent stories. In one of them April has to find neighbors in her apartment to help her cook the meal becuase her oven has broken. In another April's boyfried , Bobby, has gone out to find a suit a pick up some last minute items for the dinner, and in aother April's family is making their trip to New York City from Pennsylvania.

The Good: Except for a fairly small part played by Sean Hayes the actors are all good. Particular credit must go to Patricia Clarkson who plays April's mother, but Katie Holmes, Oliver Platt, Derek Luke (you might remember him from Antwone Fisher) were all very good as well.

The story is small, but always engaging and sincere. A very earnest piece of work.

The Bad: Sean Hayes over plays his role as Wayne, one of April's neighbors. This was the only thing that made the movie feel written. He played the part like he was on a sitcom.

Final Verdict: Very good film. Great job for a first time director. The director also wrote the screenplay and has written a few other films; his most notable screenplays are About a Boy and What's Eating Gilbert Grape? If you like either of those two films Kong recommends Pieces of April. Kong doesn't think this is playing in many theaters however, so many of you might have to wait for the DVD release which will probably be quite a while from now, and by then you will probably have forgotten Kong's recommendation altogther.

I must become Caligari..!
Saw the trailer to this at www.quicktime.com, It looks good and am looking forward to seeing it.... But it looks like a long wait ahead for an Aus realease
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I saw this a few weeks ago. I liked it, a cute little movie that doesn't get too sappy for its own good. I don't think it'll become a must-see Thanksgiving tradition the way Planes,Trains & Automobiles and Home for the Holidays have, but definitely worth seeing. Katie Holmes is turning into a decent actress (the scene towards the end when she rushes down the stairs to the street, she nailed that), and it's always a treat to see Patricia Clarkson and Oliver Platt.

GRADE: B

BTW, Patricia Clarkson is having a break-out year of sorts. She finally got some decent recognition last year in Far From Heaven, but in 2003 she's been in Pieces of April, All the Real Girls, The Safety of Objects, Dogville and The Station Agent. She's excellent in all, and I hope her performance in The Sation Agent in particular gets some Awards recognition - probably not Academy, but at least Globes and Independent Spirit and such.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Who watched today? Favorite Thanksgiving movie.

Song title based on.