Are superhero movies trying to force themes more than before, or no?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It seems like with the last three superhero movies I saw, they are trying to put these theme in the stories that I felt were probably not suppose to be part of that story, if that makes sense, but were just doing, just to have a social/political theme maybe.

In Wonder Woman, there are constant references throughout the movie as how men have made the world an evil place, and the villain is an evil man, who is suppose to represent the male gender it seems, by the way they talk about him. Wonder Woman also comes from a place of all women which drives this theme as well.

In Black Panther, there are constant references as how Africans are treated badly all over world, and the relations Africa has with the west.

In Aquaman, there is an environmentalist theme for sure, about how people treat the Ocean.

I'm wondering, why can't the superhero movies, just be superhero movies, and not try to force political themes on, like the last few seem to have. Unless I'm wrong, and the comic books have them just as well, and the the themes are accurate to the comics?

It seems like with the last three superhero movies I saw, they are trying to put these theme in the stories that I felt were probably not suppose to be part of that story, if that makes sense, but were just doing, just to have a social/political theme maybe.

In Wonder Woman, there are constant references throughout the movie as how men have made the world an evil place, and the villain is an evil man, who is suppose to represent the male gender it seems, by the way they talk about him. Wonder Woman also comes from a place of all women which drives this theme as well.

In Black Panther, there are constant references as how Africans are treated badly all over world, and the relations Africa has with the west.

In Aquaman, there is an environmentalist theme for sure, about how people treat the Ocean.

I'm wondering, why can't the superhero movies, just be superhero movies, and not try to force political themes on, like the last few seem to have. Unless I'm wrong, and the comic books have them just as well, and the the themes are accurate to the comics?
I actually thought Wonder Woman was going be a lot worse on the men are evil theme I thought Patty's light touch on it was done well.

Brie Larsen and Captain Marvel however? Yea they can kick rocks.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Yeah I didn't mind the Wonder Woman one and it was done better, but Black Panther and Aquaman it felt more forced in those even for me. Haven't seen Captain Marvel yet.

I've often criticized most superhero movies for being formulaic - and these themes are often part of that formula.

I've suggested movies that break the formula: say a Batman movie where there is no major crisis to avert (no poisoned water supply, no bomb that's going to blow up Gotham, no city-wide mass murder) but just a simple crime story interspersed with crime-fighting action along the way. Maybe something like a kidnapping story - and not necessarily the Governor's kid or anything, but just a kidnapping of a kid from a middle or lower-class family; the kind that might not get a whole lot of attention from authorities specifically for the fact that the victim is not rich or from a notable family, but would still be important to the Batman on the matter of principle.
It could still have any of Batman's villains involved (either as the main perpetrator or just as a periphery character), but it wouldn't have to be the typical stop-the-disaster in the nick of time formula.

Some of my favorite parts of superhero movies have been the crime-fighting / saving people montages and I've wondered what if a whole movie was built around that with a simple (non-formulaic) story to tie the sequences together. Kind of a day-in-the-life-of story that does not stick to the standard formula.

I'd watch a Batman movie like that. I guess I feel that the themes are maybe too obvious. Like for Black Panther, everyone hyped up that it was a black superhero, so I thought oh I bet they are going to make it about race... yep... Same with Aquaman and environmentalism.

On a side note, what if they made a Batman movie where Batman instead of stopping a threat, actually had to make a case? Like since he is a vigilante, making a case would be tricky legally, so what if they had a Batman movie, where he actually had to plant evidence, manipulate the system more in order to put the villains behind bars?

Trust me, don't watch Captain Marvel.

I'd watch a Batman movie like that. I guess I feel that the themes are maybe too obvious. Like for Black Panther, everyone hyped up that it was a black superhero, so I thought oh I bet they are going to make it about race... yep... Same with Aquaman and environmentalism.

On a side note, what if they made a Batman movie where Batman instead of stopping a threat, actually had to make a case? Like since he is a vigilante, making a case would be tricky legally, so what if they had a Batman movie, where he actually had to plant evidence, manipulate the system more in order to put the villains behind bars?
I haven't seen Black Panther, but made a post a while back after I'd seen a story on a PBS news show about the movie.

The weird thing is the people interviewed for the report acted as if this was the first time black actors appeared onscreen, in lead roles or in a movie with a predominantly black cast.

It was weird because they were acting like this was some groundbreaking event that had never been allowed before as it would change the face civil rights & diversity in our time (or something) - but in our time it is not groundbreaking or something that's never been done before.

I felt like I'd gone back in time to the 40's or earlier based on the way they were talking.

We've had black leading men since the likes of Sidney Poitier and countless others, we've had predominantly black TV shows and movies for decades, we've had movies told from a black perspective for decades, so I don't know why they were so ardent in pushing this idea that a movie made in 2018, set in Africa with a predominantly black cast was something never seen before but would now have to overcome racial bigotry to become accepted. (Was there anyone not accepting a movie set in Africa with a black cast because the cast was black?)

Yeah I remember reading the same thing, and a predominantly black cast was news to everyone. Have today's generation never even herad of the blaxploitation movement of the 70s, as well as several movies from the 80s and 90s with large black casts?

Yeah I remember reading the same thing, and a predominantly black cast was news to everyone. Have today's generation never even herad of the blaxploitation movement of the 70s, as well as several movies from the 80s and 90s with large black casts?
I'm tempted to list many of my favorite movies with predominantly black casts, but this isn't the thread for it.

It just brought to mind though, Cooley High (1975) kind of a counterpart to American Graffiti (1973).

I don't know, but I do know that Captain Marvel has pissed off many people on the internet.
To be honest I think that these so-called "anti-SJWs" are just as bad as their enemies.

Personally, if the entertainment actually entertains me, then I shall not complain. I'll watch the movie when it's released

I don't know, but I do know that Captain Marvel has pissed off many people on the internet.

To be honest I think that these so-called "anti-SJWs" are just as bad as their enemies.
That's interesting, who or what are the anti-SJWs and what do they do or say that's as bad as their enemies?

That's interesting, who or what are the anti-SJWs and what do they do or say that's as bad as their enemies?
As far as I know it's the term for those who oppose the "political correctness" or
leftist stuff they do. You should google it, I'm not good with words.
Both parties have a tendency to be easily angered, and be aggressive and childish