The Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread!!!

Tools    

Must see Stanley Kubricks Boxes(2008)
"I've often wondered what type of genius or madman someone like Kubrick would have to be in order to create that masterpieces that he did and this documentary tries to uncover some of that. Director Ronson was invited to the Kubrick Estate to go through thousands of boxes that Kubrick had saved up throughout the years and what we see are some rather amazing items, which show why it took the director so long to make movies. In his final 19-years Kubrick only made three films and the reasons why are discussed here. If you're a fan of Kubrick then I don't see how it would be possible not to love this documentary even though, sadly, it only runs for just under an hour. Some of the things we see and learn are rather shocking and mysterious. The mysterious figure that Kubrick was is certainly going to be even more mysterious after this film but it does give us a close look at how the genius worked. The most amazing section were notes from fans that the director collected. Apparently he read them all and would mark them as being positive, negative or crank meaning threatening. He would then take the letters and put them together by the movie and then break them down into the cities where they came from. Even more astounding is how much pre-production he would do when making movies. He had his nephew, a photographer, spend a year taking pictures of stuff that would eventually go into Eyes Wide Shut and that includes thousands of photographs for gates, which would end up only being seen for a matter of seconds in the movie. Fans of Full Metal Jacket will also get a kick out of learning that Vivian Kubrick's documentary is still safe and at the estate in the form of 18-hours worth of footage. We get to see a few clips here including one with Kubrick debating when tea breaks should happen. There's a lot of wonderful footage in this documentary and it's great to know that the Estate has turned all of this stuff over to the London University of Arts where anyone can go and look through them. The bad news is that it's apparently true that Kubrick destroyed all the outtakes from his films, which is strange since this documentary shows that he saved everything. There's also some great talk about his Holocaust movie, which he worked on for nearly three years before giving up on it after the Spielberg movie started production" -IMDb Stanley Kubricks Boxes

This is so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are a fan you must see!!!!!!!!!!!
It will make you appreciate how smart and hard working he was!!!!

Now that said lets post away about how good his movies are......

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." -Stanley Kubrick

Welcome to the human race...
Not like I can be bothered looking for them, but I would assume that a filmmaker as revered as Kubrick would've already had at least one thread started by one of the other enthusiasts on this forum centering around him and his work.

Regardless, my opinion - I would rank the ones I've seen as such...

Paths of Glory

Lolita

Dr. Strangelove

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut

Stanley Kubrick is just about my favorite director of all-time.

Definitely one of my favorite directors of all time.
Here are my top 5 faves of his works:

5. Dr. Strangelove
Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
And lemme tell you guys something;
I loves me some bomb.

4. Full Metal Jacket
"How tall are you private?"
"Sir, five foot nine, sir!"
"Five foot nine? I didn't know they stacked sh#t that high! You tryin' to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?"
" Sir, no sir!"
"Bullsh#t! It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress! I think you been cheated! Where in the hell are you from anyway, private?"
"Sir, Texas, sir!"
"Holy dog sh#t! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"Are you a peter puffer?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"I'll bet you're the kinda guy that would f#ck a person in the ass and not even have the godd@mn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you."

3. The Shining
Take a Kubrick film & ground it with a Stephen King story & a role taylor made for Jack Nicholson & what you have is one of my top favorite horror movies ever. And with very little slashing, gore, or shock that most films of this genre (especially today) tend to rely on in order to frighten their audiences. The horror stems more from Jack's delivery & facial expressions as his character gradually slips into the madness of the haunted hotel's dark intentions.
The line "Here's Johnny!" wouldn't be a very scary one at all if it weren't for Jack's maniacal mug peering thru the door's cracked orifice, freshly smashed thru by the axe-wielding author suffering from writer's block, a possesed spirit & with "redrum" on his mind.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
I remember watching this film as a kid, and for me, it was the very 1st. incredibly realistic portrayal of a sci-fi story I had seen up to that time. Great visuals back when this stuff was incredible difficult to create (without the help of computers) and a suspense thriller plotline that is masterfully & almost quietly delivered.
Plus, if you're not on drugs whilst viewing this film, by the time you get to the ending, you will you feel as though you are.

1. A Clockwork Orange
For me, this movie exemplifies everything that I like about all things Kubrick. IMO, he tends to make movies that are an inch away from being abstract beyond understanding, but yet keeps the flow of the film reeled in just enough to make it seem like it makes sense on some kind of creative level. And while I don't mind discussing what the underlying meaning(s) of ACO might be, I find that too much discussion on it tends to get in the way of the enjoyment that I get from noticing things like how colorfully crafted the art-direction is for a movie that doesn't bat a single lashed eye towards subjects like ultra-violence & the old in-&-out.
Visually, a beautifully crafted film with such a bite in it's theme that it acts as a well-balanced counterweight against the brightly set designs. Seldom do we see the contrast of light & darkness stitched on film in a manner that is instinctual, crazy & perfect all at the same time.

Doesn't this belong here?

Anyways, Kubrick is also my favorite director. It's funny since I used to despise him as well as his films. I still have an extreme dislike for A Clockwork Orange and 2001, but I still think they are among the most brilliant films ever made.

I think he is one of the most intelligent directors I have ever heard of. The Shining is really the only film of his that I am fanatic about, but I admire him for the amount of creativity he used to put in his films. I think he also gave the most dedication when it came to making a film.

I don't enjoy his films the most, but I admire the hell out of em.
The Shining - 5/5
Full Metal Jacket - 4/5
Dr. Strangelove - 3/5
A Clockwork Orange - 2/5
Paths of Glory - 4.5/5
2001: 3/5

As you can see, I dont rate his films the highest, but I think they are all some of the greatest ever made. I believe Kubrick is the greatest director ever born. I doubt anyone will replace his genius anytime soon. It is a shame he's no longer with us.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I already posted my thoughts in the Eyes Wide Shut discussion. You have to watch movies more than once, unless they're Gerry. (Sorry, I've watched that more than once... )

Here were my grades posted earlier. Numbers 4 and 5 are interchangable to me. Number 3 keeps getting better with each passing year. Ask questions because I'll go into details.

Ah, the first half of Full Metal is way better than the second. And this is coming from a big Kubrick fan.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
True. The first third of Full Metal Jacket may will be the greatest "movie" ever made, but it actually does acquire more power when you follow the survivors from Boot Camp out into the real world of "Hell on Earth" (Vietnam).

I would say it loses power after D'Onofrio snuffs it, but it's still a good film If I could figure out how to do that damn popcorn rating you guys have here on this site I'd give it a 4. Although, I'm thinking of giving it a third viewing sometime in the next month or two, it's been awhile.

I loved all of Full Metal Jacket the first time I saw it (and I still do). It blew me away.

The one thing I remember especially from my first viewing was how when I looked at the movie time after what felt like 10 minutes, 40 minutes had actually passed. I was very shocked. That's a sign of a good movie.

And yeah, the first half is better than the second, but I love them both.

So far I've only seen The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket from Krubrik but I love all of them. And I hope to see some more of his movies in the future.

Dr. Strangelove - might have to see this again can't remember it much

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut

It's a shame he is so highly regarded , his films are overly simplistic with some symbolism thrown in - his movies sometimes have a really interesting moment , but they never work as a whole.

Kubrick is synonymous with perfection.

Dr. Strangelove -

2001: A Space Odyssey -

A Clockwork Orange -

The Shining -

Full Metal Jacket -

Eyes Wide Shut -

Paths of Glory -

The Killing -

Spartacus -

Lolita -

Barry Lyndon -

Dr. Strangelove - might have to see this again can't remember it much

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut

It's a shame he is so highly regarded , his films are overly simplistic with some symbolism thrown in - his movies sometimes have a really interesting moment , but they never work as a whole.
I used to feel the same way about his films which is why I'm curious as to how many times you have seen those films you rated. His films require multiple viewings for many.

Maybe you just need to watch some of those again.