The Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread!!!

Tools    

I can't bear to sit through the Shining documentary made a few years ago. You can just tell those people had too much time on their hands.
(For those unfamiliar, there's a documentary called Room 237 detailing elaborate theories about the secret meaning of The Shining.)

I actually really enjoyed Room 237, simply because I was able not to take it seriously. I can understand why someone might be frustrated having to listen to that, unable to argue with the people in it. But if you can let go of that aspect, it's pretty entertaining (and, of course, as with any good conspiracy, a few times you find yourself going "huh, that is kinda weird...").

One of the things about Kubrick was that he gave so little interviews, and that raised people's interest in them. They felt that because he didn't whore himself to the press & media, people desperately wanted the time with him, which he never gave. Hence the mass hysteria over his films. Nowadays we see every filmmaker giving interview after interview after interview and it's very unnessacary. Film makers in my opinion, don't need to do press. Because the average filmgoer doesn't really care about the filmmaker, more the film itself.

That's a good point. Conspiracies arise when there's a disparity between the information we have, and our collective interest in something. Speculation rushes to fill the vacuum.

I enjoyed Room 237 too because it was so silly. There was stuff i genuinely enjoyed not in a this is crazy way, the mapout of the hotel in particular. Not the conspiracies tied to it, just find the Overlook Hotel very interesting so it was interesting seeing them map out Danny's journey.

No doubt Kubrick is the most mythologised director. Even more than people like Hitchcock that might be overall more popular. Suppose that's related to his perfectionist nature and the fact that he made so many different films, very few directors work in as many different genres as him and he made a great film in most of them.

This is hilarious and genius...

David Herbert's giant, monolith-sized sculpture of a VHS tape of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Just makes me think of the 2001 parody at the end of MST3K's "Laserblast" episode.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm seen half of it, but I'm sure many of you would like all the stories.... It's been uploaded for a year, yet, it has less than 950 views.

Joe Turkel - On Stanley Kubrick: A Force of Nature (2001)

I don't like the documentary Room 237 much, but mostly because I don't think it actually does what it sets out to do that well. But I think Yoda is correct that one shouldn't take the zaniness of some of the theories seriously. We aren't meant to. The film is about obsessions and how we (much like the characters at the end of The Shining) can become lost in the labyrinth of conspiracy and speculation we feed ourselves. How we warp what we see to fit our preconceptionis. How we can lose sight of what we are talking about. Without any question, almost all of the readings of The Shining it provides us with, are total and complete nonsense. And they are fun to laugh at on that level. But the movie only tantalizes much more interesting questions that surround these lonely people that are its focus.