Blade Runner

→ in
Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
As Rodent just pointed out, the logic is flimsy at best.

But... if the next Alien movie has David unleashing a Predator/Xenomorph hybrid on Earth (specifically Los Angeles) and it’s up to Deckard, Ripley’s clone and a cryogenically preserved Dutch to stop them... well, I’d be there for it.

It'll take a minute or two, but...

It resembles the fact that Deckard's memories are known to other people, which means Deckard might be a Replicant.
thanks rodent

As Rodent just pointed out, the logic is flimsy at best.

But... if the next Alien movie has David unleashing a Predator/Xenomorph hybrid on Earth (specifically Los Angeles) and it’s up to Deckard, Ripley’s clone and a cryogenically preserved Dutch to stop them... well, I’d be there for it.
this was my question when i saw the origami in The predator, does it have any relation to the other universe of blade runner

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've read this unicorn plot turn to Blade Runner many times, but I don't get why Decard would be a replicant just because he had a dream about a unicorn. Why? Why does a person dreaming if a unicorn, mean they are a replicant?

Also if he is a replicant than why is the law okay with that since replicants are illegal? Why would they allow him to be the exception to the rule?

Again, Deckard dreams about a unicorn and then Gaff leaves the origami unicorn for Deckard to see, indicating that his dreams and memories are transplants like Rachel’s. Something that can be looked up. Eldon Tyrell has created a new kind of replicant, a kind that is nigh indistinguishable from humans, even to themselves.

But isn't this quite a bit of a reach to jump to? If I dreamed of a unicorn, and then someone else left a paper one at my place, I would assume I was being stocked by some weirdo who knows what I am dreaming.

I would not assume it means that my memories are implants. Why would Decard's mind jump to the this conclusion, instead of the other one?

Gaff is telling Deckard that his dreams and memories are transplants. Gaff, with the origami unicorn, is telling Deckard “hey, that dream you had? It wasn’t always yours. I’m not stalking you, I’m looking after you.”

Gaff’s final line, “it’s too bad she won’t live, but then again who does?”, is something of a warning to Deckard, so as to say “I figured out you’re a replicant, someone not so sympathetic will too, soon. So get out of the city.”

I've read this unicorn plot turn to Blade Runner many times, but I don't get why Decard would be a replicant just because he had a dream about a unicorn. Why? Why does a person dreaming if a unicorn, mean they are a replicant?

Also if he is a replicant than why is the law okay with that since replicants are illegal? Why would they allow him to be the exception to the rule?
I know you probably want a definitive answer to your question....but movies seldom work that way because movies are art and art is interpreted by the individual.

So my answer to you is: what ever you think is true about Deckard, then that is your truth.

Personally my truth is Deckard was a human in the original movie. It makes sense he was a human from the 'rules' of the movie as laid out in the beginning crawl, that is replicants are dangerous thereforth illegal on Earth under penalty of death.

So why then would the police force leave an unattended replicant Deckard to quit the police force and do as he pleases? Even Tyrrell tells Deckard that if Rachel leaves the Tyrell Building she would be killed on sight. So why would a replicate like Deckard be left to his own devices? That's an oxymoron with in the film. Also what sense does it make to send an obsolete replicant Deckard who gets his ass kicked by every one of the replicants he meets? It doesn't make sense unless Deckard is a human.

The orgami unicorn left by Gaff, is Gaff's way of saying 'I was here in your apartment and I know you're going to flee the city with Rachel'. That's why when Deckard picks up the origami unicorn he nods with an acknowledgement that Gaff had been there. Had he been a replicant his reaction would have been concern that Gaff was on his trail.

I know you probably want a definitive answer to your question....but movies seldom work that way because movies are art and art is interpreted by the individual.

So my answer to you is: what ever you think is true about Deckard, then that is your truth.

Personally my truth is Deckard was a human in the original movie. It makes sense he was a human from the 'rules' of the movie as laid out in the beginning crawl, that is replicants are dangerous thereforth illegal on Earth under penalty of death.

So why then would the police force leave an unattended replicant Deckard to quit the police force and do as he pleases? Even Tyrrell tells Deckard that if Rachel leaves the Tyrell Building she would be killed on sight. So why would a replicate like Deckard be left to his own devices? That's an oxymoron with in the film. Also what sense does it make to send an obsolete replicant Deckard who gets his ass kicked by every one of the replicants he meets? It doesn't make sense unless Deckard is a human.

The orgami unicorn left by Gaff, is Gaff's way of saying 'I was here in your apartment and I know you're going to flee the city with Rachel'. That's why when Deckard picks up the origami unicorn he nods with an acknowledgement that Gaff had been there. Had he been a replicant his reaction would have been concern that Gaff was on his trail.
So you mean the origami left in decard s room was just for him to tell decard yeah i know what ur gonna do and where ur gonna go isn t it

Well it's just that if Gaff wanted to warn Decard it doesn't seem likely that he would warn him with a metaphor instead of actually verbally telling him directly?

Well I know there is no fun it it, but it just doesn't seem natural as people do not warn other people with metaphors, that's all .

But if it was a warning then it was and that's fine, I just didn't get that Guff was emplying that Decard was a replicant. But why is it that Decard is allowed to be a replicant and still allowed to live and no other ones are, and why is he a legal accept to the rule?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Found a nice little compilation of interviews, concept art & behind-the-scenes footage regarding BR's design elements. Some cool stuff about objects being layered with different historical uses & adaptations, and them making so much set material barely half of it made it into the final cut. And conversely there are some fun bits on how their limited backlot sizes forced them to convey scale through close shots.

Start from about 4m33s

Am I the only one who thinks that making Decard a replicant was a bad idea? I feel that the human learning that replicants have souls too is more powerful. That's like changing the ending to a movie like In The Heat of the Night, and have the white sheriff, find out he's actuall black in the end. It looses the effect, if that makes sense?

Am I the only one who thinks that making Decard a replicant was a bad idea? I feel that the human learning that replicants have souls too is more powerful. That's like changing the ending to a movie like In The Heat of the Night, and have the white sheriff, find out he's actuall black in the end. It looses the effect, if that makes sense?
Deckard isn't a replicant. He never was. That was fan fiction, that caught hold until almost everybody believed it. Then finally Ridley Scott recut his film to make Deckard appear less human and more like a replicant. Yes it was a stupid idea.

The story works much better with Deckard as a burnt out, jaded ex detective (human) who is taught the value of life by the very replicants that he hunts down and kills. That's poignant and irony.

But isn't this quite a bit of a reach to jump to? If I dreamed of a unicorn, and then someone else left a paper one at my place, I would assume I was being stocked by some weirdo who knows what I am dreaming.

I would not assume it means that my memories are implants. Why would Decard's mind jump to the this conclusion, instead of the other one?
Its not the unicorn dream that singles Deckard out as a replicant its the fact that Gaff's knows about his presumably secret dream, something he could only do if that dream had been implanted.

I would say the stories are not THAT different whether Deckard is a human or a replicant. The human Deckard would still be learning that the replicants lives have value but by having the protagonist as a replicant it throws that back at the audience. I do think it was always Scott's intension though, the link between Deckard's obsession with old photos and music and Leon for example or Gaff's character generally having the sense of a hidden agenda.

Really I think the intension of the film as a whole is that the replicants are a parallel for post religious humans. There limited lifespans play up human mortality and they have to come to terms with there being created for no higher purpose, Batty especially gets plays up as a kind of Nietzschean ubermensch.

Deckard isn't a replicant. He never was. That was fan fiction, that caught hold until almost everybody believed it. Then finally Ridley Scott recut his film to make Deckard appear less human and more like a replicant. Yes it was a stupid idea.

The story works much better with Deckard as a burnt out, jaded ex detective (human) who is taught the value of life by the very replicants that he hunts down and kills. That's poignant and irony.
But in the original theatrical cut though, Gaff leaves the unicorn for Deckard to find as well. Why would he do this if he was not trying to tell him he was a replicant?

But in the original theatrical cut though, Gaff leaves the unicorn for Deckard to find as well. Why would he do this if he was not trying to tell him he was a replicant?
In the original cut it being a unicorn doesn't have the same specific meaning but still it serves a purpose. Basically letting us know(although the clunky voiceover makes sure we don't miss it) that Gaff was at Deckard's apartment but let Rachael live.