Favorite Time Travel Movies

Tools    

Definitely Back to the Future and Groundhog Day. Some time travel movies get too tedious about fake explanations when all you really need is something with a sign on it that says "Time Machine". It's better to just let it happen and write the plot about the consequence.

I've seen The Lego Movie, and I agree that it's a good movie, but I don't consider it a Will Ferrell movie. Since it's an animated movie, I don't really connect it to any specific actor.

I don't quite understand. Acting is acting. Not all of The Lego Movie is animated; the best parts with Will Ferrell are not. Are you considering voice acting a different animal than visual acting? Is The Hobbit (1977) not a John Huston movie because he is only voice acting Gandalf?

Could you please illuminate me?

temporal pincer movement

Favorites:
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey
Palm Springs
About Time
Edge of Tomorrow
12 Monkeys
Predestination
Primer
Frequency
Detention
Happy Accidents

Like But Don't Love:
Back to the Future
Flight of the Navigator
Somewhere in Time
Looper
Happy Death Day
Timecrimes
Girl Who Leapt Through Time
I'll Follow You Down

If it counts, Arrival, Run Lola Run.

Good list. Bogus Journey doesn't really count as a "Time Traveling" movie though. Afterlife, yes.

Haven't seen Primer, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, or Time Crimes, but after reading about it those look good.

Good list. Bogus Journey doesn't really count as a "Time Traveling" movie though. Afterlife, yes.
It's not as central as in the first film, but the villain does travel back in time from the future and time-travel is how the film's climax is resolved.

Haven't seen Primer, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, or Time Crimes, but after reading about it those look good.
Primer is a must see, in my opinion. Girl Who Leapt Through Time was enjoyable but a bit unmemorable. Time Crimes is technically well-made, but I had a few issues with it and felt that there were some exploitative elements to it and also I struggled because the main character was kind of a tool. But in terms of specifically the time-travel element it's certainly strong.

It's not as central as in the first film, but the villain does travel back in time from the future and time-travel is how the film's climax is resolved.

Primer is a must see, in my opinion. Girl Who Leapt Through Time was enjoyable but a bit unmemorable. Time Crimes is technically well-made, but I had a few issues with it and felt that there were some exploitative elements to it and also I struggled because the main character was kind of a tool. But in terms of specifically the time-travel element it's certainly strong.

Oh you're right I forgot about that and so do Bill and Ted when they did their "guitar boot camp."

I'm watching Primer tonight then!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen The Lego Movie, and I agree that it's a good movie, but I don't consider it a Will Ferrell movie. Since it's an animated movie, I don't really connect it to any specific actor.
I don't quite understand. Acting is acting. Not all of The Lego Movie is animated; the best parts with Will Ferrell are not. Are you considering voice acting a different animal than visual acting? Is The Hobbit (1977) not a John Huston movie because he is only voice acting Gandalf?

Could you please illuminate me?

I don't mean that there's anything wrong with animated movies, or that they're any less important than other movies. I just mean that there's a different "feel" to animated movies, and because I don't see the actors, I don't connect them to the actors.

I haven't seen The Hobbit (1977), so I can't comment on that specific movie, but here are a few examples of animated movies that I've seen:

I don't consider Anastasia (1997) either a Meg Ryan movie or a John Cusack movie.

I don't consider Over the Hedge (2006) a Bruce Willis movie.

I don't consider Monsters, Inc. (2001) either a John Goodman movie or a Billy Crystal movie.

These are some of my favorite movies, not just animated movies, but just movies. I know who voiced the characters in the movies, but when I think of the movies, I think of the characters in the movies, not the actors who voiced those characters.

IMO, this is a compliment to these actors because they make these characters come alive, just by using their voices.