The UK Voting Referendum

Tools    

BritFos... Don't forget on Thursday when you go into your local polling station... to take a pen with you.

No way am I using that PENCIL they provide, and leaving my unsealed vote in a flimsy cardboard box with a loose lid, with a couple people I don't know.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Supposedly the rationale is that ink is actually quite easy to remove en masse chemically etc.

Doesn't mean I haven't heard of rubbers though. My pencil crosses are very thorough... Each one takes about a minute

The People's Republic of Clogher
Even though this referendum looks like picking whether a punch in the face or a kick in the nads is more preferable, I know a lot of people who are planning to vote now where they rarely, if ever, voted in the past.

Whatever the outcome, I hope that this will shake the apathy from the populace when it comes to political matters. In the 25 years since I turned 18, I've never not voted when I've had the opportunity.

It's gonna be really intriguing to see what happens if there's a narrow Leave vote with a high turnout. (And a high turnout looks likely to me, maybe not as high as Scottish Indy, but close I'd reckon).

If it's a narrow Leave vote, say 52% with 80% of the populace voting, I could still see shenanigans happening. Cameron (or Boris more likely) would still have to get it through Parliamentary channels with a majority of only 14 MPs. Only approx 40% of Tory MPs are actually for Leave I believe, and less for other parties, so if they can claim it's not an actual mandate (IE less than 50% of the voting public potentially) could still see it struggling to cross the line...

I've said before that the real fun starts after the referendum. What will happen with the leaders of the Tories? How long will Cameron wait before he goes (within a year regardless of the result is my guess), what will happen with the Labour leadership? Will the result of the referendum make a difference as to whether there's a leadership challenge or not?

Leave can promise all they want, but it's for the government to pass legislation and make the deals, not Leave.

People are talking Boris, but I think Theresa May might be the party's choice. The party needs to heal afterwards and she might be the best person for that particular job.

2 days to go... and I've made up my mind.
Media blackout on the recent goings-on in Calais... 300 refugees attacked British cars and lorries with bricks and tearing open artic curtains and climbing in, trying to get into the UK.
All the while screaming "**** the UK".
... That's just 300 of them. Imagine having 300,000. Per year, every year.
After all the research and reading I've done over the past couple months, and all the stuff going on in France for the past year, and now this as well adding to the trouble... I've made my mind up.

Originally Posted by Rodent
300 refugees attacked British cars and lorries with bricks and tearing open artic curtains and climbing in, trying to get into the UK.
All the while screaming "**** the UK".
1) Source?

2) Legal migration by refugees tends to look a bit different.

3) Turning your back on a pressure cooker doesn't ensure your safety...

So, in effect, you'll be voting for the refugee and migrant camps to be shifted to Monaghan instead, because that's what'll happen. Further from England but closer to the UK...

Why do you assume a blackout? Rather than fact-checking (and a morning launch to catch traffic)? It's not like a D-notice has been issued, or that Cameron actually controls 'the media'...

And yep, desperate people doing desperate things. Ain't changing any time soon. Filtering so we only get the ones prepared to break in illegally (and assuming that all refugees are the same, despite the given that most will be ****ed up by war), is an intriguing solution tho.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Why do you assume a blackout? Rather than fact-checking (and a morning launch to catch traffic)? It's not like a D-notice has been issued, or that Cameron actually controls 'the media'...

And yep, desperate people doing desperate things. Ain't changing any time soon. Filtering so we only get the ones prepared to break in illegally (and assuming that all refugees are the same, despite the given that most will be ****ed up by war), is an intriguing solution tho.
No Cameron doesn't have any control over the media but the Establishment do, and they desperately want to remain in Europe therefore the media will try to influence people to vote "remain" and ignore things that don't make remain look good whilst trying to paint a bad picture of the Leave campaign, calling them rascist xenophobes.

I will be voting Leave tomorrow. The remain campaign have done nothing but scaremonger recently.

I'm almost concerned that whatever people vote the Establishment will rig it for a Remain win. I barely know anyone voting remain.

I think I understand what happened there. We travelled by ferry from Calais to Dover on Saturday. While the Euros are on the security has been very tight and instead of your car being waved through at passport control, your passports are being scanned by the French Border Controls and straight after by the British Border controls. So instead of being in a fast moving live of traffic we were in a long queue waiting to get on the ferry. I guess some of the people who live in the 'Jungle' saw an opportunity.
It looks like a terrible place. You can see it on the way to the ferries, loads of tents and makeshift shelters surrounded by very high fences with razor wire on top, and patrolled by armed police with dogs - just looks like Children Of Men. I can't imagine what it must be like living there with children as well. Desperation can make people do anything, sadly.

Leaving the EU will not remove illegal immigrants.

I hate the way this referendum has turned out. The heavy emphasis on immigration by the Leave campaign has obscured any economic questions people might want to ask. The success of our economy drives everything in the country. The fact that spending on school places hasn't kept up with the birth rate, no politicians are coming up with decent ideas about the housing crisis, the NHS is not training enough nurses* or GPs, all these things and more are problems that're easy to wholesale blame on immigrants when we really need to examine the real reasons behind each economic problem.

*my own daughter in law has a place at university for next year but is having to compete with 15 other people for 8 places that have burseries. If she doesn't get one she won't be able to do the course as she won't take out a loan instead. This is the last year the Tories are funding NHS training bursaries so worsening the nurse shortage. We'll need more nurses from overseas.

No Cameron doesn't have any control over the media but the Establishment do, and they desperately want to remain in Europe therefore the media will try to influence people to vote "remain" and ignore things that don't make remain look good whilst trying to paint a bad picture of the Leave campaign, calling them rascist xenophobes.

I will be voting Leave tomorrow. The remain campaign have done nothing but scaremonger recently.

I'm almost concerned that whatever people vote the Establishment will rig it for a Remain win. I barely know anyone voting remain.
So are you saying that Leave aren't a bunch of scaremongering establishment figures?

Really? I'm reading the populist media as most definitely wanting out. They're ignoring worries about the economy and are almost solely concentrating on immigration and scaremongering based on that. In other words completely the opposite of how you're thinking!

I think I understand what happened there. We travelled by ferry from Calais to Dover on Saturday. While the Euros are on the security has been very tight and instead of your car being waved through at passport control, your passports are being scanned by the French Border Controls and straight after by the British Border controls. So instead of being in a fast moving live of traffic we were in a long queue waiting to get on the ferry. I guess some of the people who live in the 'Jungle' saw an opportunity.
It looks like a terrible place. You can see it on the way to the ferries, loads of tents and makeshift shelters surrounded by very high fences with razor wire on top, and patrolled by armed police with dogs - just looks like Children Of Men. I can't imagine what it must be like living there with children as well. Desperation can make people do anything, sadly.

Leaving the EU will not remove illegal immigrants.

I hate the way this referendum has turned out. The heavy emphasis on immigration by the Leave campaign has obscured any economic questions people might want to ask. The success of our economy drives everything in the country. The fact that spending on school places hasn't kept up with the birth rate, no politicians are coming up with decent ideas about the housing crisis, the NHS is not training enough nurses* or GPs, all these things and more are problems that're easy to wholesale blame on immigrants when we really need to examine the real reasons behind each economic problem.

*my own daughter in law has a place at university for next year but is having to compete with 15 other people for 8 places that have burseries. If she doesn't get one she won't be able to do the course as she won't take out a loan instead. This is the last year the Tories are funding NHS training bursaries so worsening the nurse shortage. We'll need more nurses from overseas.
We will be able to remove illegal immigrants, we will be able to set our own immigration policy and that goes for bringing skilled labour in like nurses. The border is not going to be shut down if leave wins.

Illegal immigrants are illegal. Therefore we can already remove them.

We can set our own immigration policy, but there's little chance of us not accepting people to work because the jobs need to be filled. We already bring in skilled workers (such as nurses) so there's no change there, either.

I find most of the things people don't like about the EU have more to do with UK governments (both the current one and previous) not having the political will to do something/go against something than it does the EU making us do something. With the exception of the free movement of labour, H&S and trade, there's very little that the EU can actually affect, should our own Parliament not wish it to.

I'm far more annoyed that this ridiculous vote has been allowed to happen at all than I am whether we're in or out.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm surprised to hear someone say they know no one voting for remain, the vast majority of people I know are voting remain tomorrow. Those who aren't are doing so because of immigration.

I completely agree with Christine, immigration has overshadowed everything else throughout the entire campaign. My dad is voting leave, and whenever my mother or myself tell him about any economical consequences it'll have, he just murmurs and still moans about immigrants, who undeniably contribute significantly to our services anyway. I just feel as though the important questions haven't been asked, everything just seems to revert back to immigration, and this is about a whole lot more than just that, but you just wouldn't think so.

I agree as well in regards to newspapers, the majority of them are for Brexit.

I've not seen one person yet mention what I think is possibly the most crucial issue .... if the vote is to 'leave' will duty-free be reintroduced for travel between the UK and the EU or not?

So are you saying that Leave aren't a bunch of scaremongering establishment figures?
Yes, it's not scaremongering to say that we can't deal with 300,000+ immigrants every year it's a fact. Public services are and have been struggling for some time now. It's not scaremongering to say we don't need an unelected bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels (led by Germany) telling us what to do, we don't. It's not scaremongering to say that Europe has been a catastrophe recently, the Euro economic struggle in Greece, the economic migrant crisis (5-10% who happen to be refugee's from Syria) proliferated by the open border Schengen zone and a complete incompetent response from Europe on what to do about it, letting coutries like Romania and possibly Turkey in soon.

I'm far more annoyed that this ridiculous vote has been allowed to happen at all than I am whether we're in or out.
Agree wholeheartedly. It feels like the whole country is being sacrificed for the sake of Tory pride