The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
The more I read about Harvest Moon: One World the happier I am I didn’t subccumb to the mania that was Animal Crossing. It was one or the other, and it was hard to resist. Now that it has died down I can confidently say the wait will be worth it.

Now I just need a better grip for this stupid thing. Any suggestions?
Best one I've heard of is the Hori Switch Pad. It's a bit of a unit (and doesn't have vibration or motion sensing) but I know a couple of people who have it and they really like it.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/22/21...tendo-hands-on

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm just going to post my latest ill-advised early access purchase here. Purely because it's a blatant rip off of Mirror's Edge, and that's a flatscreen game

First Look: Stride

Took a punt on this Early Access parkour number.

It's currently purely a set of movement mechanics in a semi-generated time-trial map (of increasing fiendishness), with some basic gun action, AI enemies, and slow-time thrown in. That's it. But the move-set is actually pretty sweet

I think my favourite aspects is the 'double jump' where you vault off a second item to keep your momentum going. Can be very cool when you're plummeting towards an isolated island and need to keep that speed to reach the next ledge. Or when deployed as a bonus little bunny-hop to set yourself up for the next big leap.

Add in chaining aspects like wall runs, the odd Tarzan swing with a grappling hook, and grabbing a desperate corner to swing yourself up free-form style, and keeping ahead of the deadly time-trial line has been surprisingly diverting
Here's what they hope to do with it:

And here's someone who's much better at it than me

(with sound)

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok it's possible I helped nudge a gaming company into changing a launch product.

The short story is:

• Elite's big spaceman DLC was going to launch without VR support. (Ton of quotes here)
  • This meant no being a character in VR, but also no piloting the existing ships and vehicles on the new planets either.
  • This caused a few pitchforks to be set on fire...
  • I compiled some of the more pragmatic solutions, and pushed this little thread until it became the 2nd-most upvoted 'Suggestion' on record.
  • It advocated a compromise whereby ships & vehicles could be in VR, but character gameplay would have placeholder support. (A 'flatscreen projection' within VR, etc).
  • They've now announced VR support for ships and vehicles, with character gameplay displayed via the 'flatscreen projection' shortcut

Who knows, maybe we've been gamed, and they always meant to do something like this . But it genuinely seems they were planning to go for zero VR support until well after launch. (And I could see why, all the short term fixes are pretty hacky, and only really make sense as fan service to the existing players).

It's still a bit poop. But I get the reasons for them not going big on VR character play at launch. (There's much less ROI in VR compared to the new FPS gaming world they're looking to tap. Need to tap that first... as it were).

And hey, I get to join in with some VR base raids in January now . (And get blamed a bit for this crappy compromise solution in the meantime, probably )

* transmission ends *

^^silly conspiracy pic I made when predicting the DLC would feature running and gunning stuff ^^

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I didn't mean to watch this whole YouTube video of someone using Planet Zoo to make an "unethical" zoo, but it's hilarious:

i just lol'd at my desk when it jumped from stacking trees to the finished "RUN." lol.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Oh man, you found Let's Game It Out? I ran across one of his roller coaster videos or something a few months back and I've been combing through his videos with Courtney. Huge fan. Josh is great.

The Adventure Starts Here!
i just lol'd at my desk when it jumped from stacking trees to the finished "RUN." lol.
It continues to pay off through the entire 21 minutes. I could have watched more.

Oh man, you found Let's Game It Out? I ran across one of his roller coaster videos or something a few months back and I've been combing through his videos with Courtney. Huge fan. Josh is great.
Had to subscribe. The voiceovers are hilarious. Now I'm hoping he has one for any version of The Sims...

Yeah, he's great. His channel blew up not too long ago.

He has a lot of older videos with a friend, which are very different but often fun in their own way (prioritize the Halloween ones, his friend hates spooky games but he makes him play them anyway). Switched to doing it by himself and it eventually took off.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It continues to pay off through the entire 21 minutes. I could have watched more.
I just finished and I'm in tears lol. The sepia toned flash back to explain the mass grave of elephant bones by the train tracks near the end? Just touching. I had it muted the entire clip, but I feel it was even better as a silent film. Excellent production and editing!

I just finished and I'm in tears lol. The sepia toned flash back to explain the mass grave of elephant bones by the train tracks near the end? Just touching. I had it muted the entire clip, but I feel it was even better as a silent film. Excellent production and editing!
His voiceovers are worth it alone.

@Yoda, do you remember when your sister was playing an early Sims game and put people in a room with no door or window... and then she just watched them starve? She thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, he's great. His channel blew up not too long ago.

He has a lot of older videos with a friend, which are very different but often fun in their own way (prioritize the Halloween ones, his friend hates spooky games but he makes him play them anyway). Switched to doing it by himself and it eventually took off.
Oooh, same YT channel? I don't see those in his list of videos.

I was hoping for a Minecraft video, especially after watching Golgot's Sheeples game video on the previous page here. Don't see any. That's a lost opportunity, for sure. Then again, this sort of insanity is almost required in Minecraft.

You ready? You look ready.
I finally bought Stardew Valley.

Now I see no reason to buy Harvest Moon or Story of Seasons.

Also, this ZenGrip has cured my claw grip.

Just started fall in my 1st year. Putting most of my focus on the mine. Already to level 85
I didn't really get into the mine very much until at least the first full year. (I dabbled but didn't take it seriously.) Of course, it's an easy way to get a bunch of stuff, though.

P.S. There's another mine elsewhere, once you get that far.