Gary Oldman

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Gary Oldman is IMO a fantastic actor he has been in some of my favorite movies and every role he plays especially bad guys, are just phenomenal to watch

Here are some of the movies he has starred in that I think he is great in,

Bram Stokers Dracula,
Leon,
The Fifth Element,
Air Force One,
Hannibal,
Harry Potter as Sirius Black,
Batman Begins,
The Dark Knight,
The Unborn,
The Book of Eli.

What is everyone elses view on Gary Oldman?

He's Hollywood's premier overactor. Want an OTT performance? He's your first port of call. Give him a proper script, though, and he'll deliver the goods every time. Great actor.

I agree - Oldman is incredibly talented, especially as a bad guy. He was creepy as heck as Dracula, and was the only person who could fill the role of the Terrorist in Air Force One.
Let's not forget, Leon! I'm not really a fan though.

I like Gary Oldman... and rather think some of his over the top performances just add to his characters as most of them are pretty over the top as well... ... my favorites with him are as Stansfield in Léon... Dracula in Bram Stroker's Dracula ... and two that I think are a bit overlooked... Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK... and as Beethoven in Immortal Beloved ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'd like to see him in a lead role playing a detective in a Noir Setting..
Also in a revenge film...

He has, period Noir in fact, in the 1993 Showtime Noir anthology series "Fallen Angels", the episode titled "Dead End for Delia" directed by Phil Joanou (State of Grace), co-starring Gabrielle Anwar and Dan Hedaya, teleplay by Scott Frank. Never released on DVD, but I have it on VHS. It wasn't the best episode of the series, but not bad. Also don't overlook Romeo is Bleeding, also 1993, where he isn't a private dick but a corrupt police detective watching his entire world crumble, a stylized Neo Noir with an outta site cast, especially Leno Olin having a blast going waaaay over-the-top as the villainess Mona Demarkov.

Also in a revenge film...

The BackWoods (2006) may scratch that itch. Not strictly "revenge", but in the '70s hardboiled thriller vein. And there's something called Sin (2003) starring Ving Rhames and Oldman, and that's definitely a revenge pic...though it also looks like a straight-to-video turd.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldmanFALLENANGELS.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	6766  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I'd say my favourite of his performances was in Air Force One, and I also think he was quite good as Sirius Black in Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban and as Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK.

I'm not a fan of Leon or Bram Stoker's Dracula, but I can't deny that he was great in both of those films. He's wonderfully wacky and OTT in The Fifth Element, he offers solid support in Nolan's Batman films and he gave a nice, understated performance as George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I also like him in Hannibal, but I'm probably the only one.

One of the best actors working today, in my opinion.

His performance in "Leon" is one of my favorites.He was also amazing in True Romance as Drexl.

If you get the chance, check out Oldman in Alan Clarke's excellent 80s British TV drama The Firm.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
His performance in "Leon" is one of my favorites.He was also amazing in True Romance as Drexl.
Same here, especially Leon.

"Benny, bring me everyone"

"What do you mean everyone?"

"EEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Air Force One wouldn't be the same film without him.

Great in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

leon,
hannibal,
the dark knight,
the book of eli.
Yes

He is good, shame about the roles though.