How Did You Choose Your Profile Name?

Tools    

Well,it's my name although originally it's Gabrielė.Numbers indicate year and month of birth. In other forums,I choose a nickname Gabe but I think that in other countries it means a male name.

So I presume that you also created that alien in your avatar all by yourself.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Just kinda came outta nowhere, to be honest. I'm really into heavy metal music, and the 777 part has to do with my faith (Christianity). It's been my username on many sites, and will remain so until I come up with something better

Just kinda came outta nowhere, to be honest. I'm really into heavy metal music, and the 777 part has to do with my faith (Christianity). It's been my username on many sites, and will remain so until I come up with something better

My boyfriend loves metal so I've got really into it also. Have you heard the new For Today album?

Oh well their christian and kick ass. I am not a big August Burns Red fan but I love For Today. You should check em out!

No problem, and if you don't like it, then oh well but you mentioned metal and christianity and it's hard finding that in Metal music.

Stems from the movie A Christmas Story. As "The Old Man" or rather, the dad in the film (Darren McGavin) spouts mostly nonsensical curse words during the film, you expect one out of his mouth every time he has an extended piece of dialogue. A friend of mine was watching the film and when the scene where the dad and family are driving and have a flat tire arrives, "The Old Man" naturally says something. What he actually says is "Dad-gum, blowout!" In the US, "Dad-gum" is a softer way to say "Damn" around the kids. My friend swore up and down that "The Old Man" said, "Dadgumblah!" Giving that he used nonsensical cursing, I could see why he'd think that. But I've got the DVD and have seen it on tv numerous times, and used the captioning on it, and it specifically says, "Dad-gum, blowout!" I tried to convince him of this, but he stuck to his guns. We are no longer friends. But not because of that argument.

Who's going to believe a talking head?
I like ice-cream. Somehow i chose to leave out the first part.

In the Beginning...
Could have sworn there was an old thread on this.

Real simple. When I was in 5th or 6th grade, we had to take a standardized test and the company that printed the test documents got my last name wrong. Instead of "Elzy," humorously, they changed it to "Sleezy." We all thought that was pretty funny, and a friend of mine in particular took to it. He still calls me "Sleezy."

Two reasons:

1. I wanted something film-connected. Arch Stanton is the name of the character who's supposedly buried in the cemetery in The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but the grave is where the loot is. I liked the idea of a fictional character within a work of fiction.

2. A few years back I worked in tele-sales. You can usually tell straight away whether the person on the other end of the line is going to be worth the effort. When they weren't I'd ask "Is Arch Stanton there?" and when they said no I'd apologise and hang up. That way I made things seem more normal and avoided scaring old ladies. Again, I chose the name because it referred to a non-existent person (though if I'd thought harder about it I'd have chosen George Kaplan).

Longtime MoFos know this from older threads, and Western fans can figure it out, but my handle comes from Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969). The character William Holden plays is Pike Bishop. The end.

Actually came up with the name very quickly one day, back when I first staring hanging around movie message boards in the late 1990s. At first my alias was always George Kaplan, the character who doesn't exist yet Cary Grant's Roger O Thornhill is mistaken for in Hitchcock's North by Northwest. But that one was a little too obvious, on the nose, and I kept running into other people who had the same bright idea. So just on a whim I added Holden and Pike together, having NO idea I would be stuck with it for the next fourteen years and counting.

Not that I mind being stuck with it, I like it. It's actually a kinda perfect nom de plume. I just had no concept in that instant in 1998 or whenever it was that I would be doing this sort of nonsense FOREVER.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pike.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	9431  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I really do not remember. I might've been depressed or highfalutin at the time; sort of regret it now. Doesn't make much difference.

little bo peep...lost her sheep...