The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Congrats, CR!

I knew I had done badly in this one. I just don't think I know other people's tastes well enough, but it's still a lot of fun.

Congrats, CR!

I knew I had done badly in this one. I just don't think I know other people's tastes well enough, but it's still a lot of fun.
I'm glad you joined I hope you'll be in the PR IV...and there's always a next time to improve on your guessing abilities. I liked your choice for me, The Earrings of Madame de…I ranked it 6th only because I had so many awesome films this time and they all couldn't be #1.

BTW my first choice for you was Black Orpheus, but it was already taken.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul aka Angst essen Seele auf (1974)

I don't know if I had gotten exceedingly spoiled with these Personal Rec HoFs and the HUGE love I've had for the films nominated for me, but I may have had the bar set a little too high for - a very good film that SHOULD have wowed me a lot more, but sadly, didn't quite hit that high bar.

I think it may have been the very wooden Ali (El Hedi ben Salem) to the point of being more a "prop" for the more central figure, Emmi (Brigitte Mira), whom I felt very much for and found her performance a shining point for this film. His stoic manner appearing more like an unsure actor waiting for the camera to stop rolling. Or someone staying still for a photograph.
I did get a kick out of Rainer Werner Fassbinder's cameo as the lazy, good-fer-nuthin son-in-law, Eugen. Along with being the Writer/Director of this bleak film of loneliness and petty, cold-shouldered racism.

What I imagine was a cost necessity; it was interesting to see how empty every place was except for the characters themselves. Almost creating a kind of emotional vacuum in and about itself. Accentuating the solitude of Emmi and Ali as they attempt to make a life together.

A very solid and very worthwhile film that I am pleased to have seen and is, as with all of them, VERY thankful to have it nominated for me. THANK YOU

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Congrats, CR!

It is a tricky thing that sometimes comes down to blind luck - for me anyway. Having hit the full range from high to mid to low end of the spectrum. Which is fine with me since it's the "fun" of it, as you stated that, in the end, truly matters and what makes me so very addicted to them.

The trick is not minding
Going back over these films again and I find myself still thinking about Show Me Love often. I may have undervalued it.
Also really thinking more about Umbrellas of Cherbourg and it’s ending.
This was a really great rounds of nominations. More so then previous Personal Reccs.
Bravo, guys. Again.

I wanted to give everyone a little rest. I'm thinking of opening part 4 on the weekend of the 26th.
Sounds great! I can hardly wait

For everyone who joins, when picking a movie for me:
I don't like gratuitous violence or gratuitous sex
, I have to watch these films with my wife and we both don't like extreme, dark disturbing stuff, I hate gore horror films.

Sounds great! I can hardly wait

For everyone who joins, when picking a movie for me:
I don't like gratuitous violence or gratuitous sex
, I have to watch these films with my wife and we both don't like extreme, dark disturbing stuff, I hate gore horror films.
And I love everything he hates!