Movies With Added Night Nurse

Tools    

Hi Folks,

I'm still new and shiny (checks his post count, hmm 5), so forgive me in advance if I'm doing something I shouldn't but I kind of need some help, if you wouldn't mind chipping in with your thoughts.

I'm writing an article (well, about to start writing it, at least) concerning those movies that people love, but can't actually stay awake for.

Now, what I mean by this is not like the time I went to the IMAX at midnight to watch Godzilla and got as far as the first ten minutes before falling into an alcohol infused power nap which must have impressed those seated nearest to me (I do tend to snore, especially after a few too many bottles of Stella). I woke up briefly for about a minute or two on a couple of occasions, but only really came to when the closing titles had started.

No, what I'm referring to are those films that you love. I mean, really love enough to put on to go to bed with, such is their familiarity. However, when you have got all comfy and settled, you invariably end up helplessly nodding off, despite the fact that you love the film. Like a warm, cosy and familiar blanket, the film does the exact opposite of entertain. Inexplicably, it sends you straight to sandman territory.

As examples, I would like cite 2001: A Space Odyssey as one of mine. If I can make it through the the first twenty minutes of monkey business, then that's usually expected, but the chances of me getting to the bit where Dave Bowman starts heavy breathing are about as high as me finding a large rectangular block of ebony in my back garden.

Also, Steven Soderbergh's Solaris is another. Moon, Contact, even Event Horizon have trouble keeping me from the land of nod.

So I was wondering if you had any similar experiences or is my cinematic narcolepsy something to be worried about?

Liking the subject, I have a couple movies I love and I put them on and fall asleep.

Tremors
The Dark Knight
Big Trouble In Little China
Gremlins
Blade Runner
Jurassic Park

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

I love this movie above most movies ever, but if I start watching it past 6:00 pm, forget it. I just become wrapped up in it and know what's coming and I'm not worried about missing anything. Surely enough, the sandman comes a-calling and I'm a goner!

Liking the subject, I have a couple movies I love and I put them on and fall asleep.

Tremors
The Dark Knight
Big Trouble In Little China
Gremlins
Blade Runner
Jurassic Park

Blade Runner, definitely. 100% agree. I usually don't make it as far as Rutger Hauer's eyeball rubbing shenanigans. Good call!

Apocalypse Now. I watched that film three times before I made it through to the end. There's something hypnotic about it it's my favourite film now tho

For a while I used to put barbarella on whenever I was getting ready for bed. probably lasted for a couple of weeks. I don't think i've done this with any other film.

For a while I used to put barbarella on whenever I was getting ready for bed. probably lasted for a couple of weeks. I don't think i've done this with any other film.
A question then. Did you put it on with the intention of falling asleep while it was on? Or was it just the happenstance of having it on that made you nod off? You know how some kids can't sleep until they've had a bedtime story or carried out some regular ritual? Well, I've got to the point now that I know if I put a certain film on, it might get me to sleep quicker, which is odd, seeing as the reason for its being in the first place is to entertain.

The film that comes to mind for me on this subject is Rosemary's Baby...I have sat down to watch this film at least a dozen times, but this was pre-video days and, as you mentioned, the film was always on the late show or the late late show and I would always fall asleep at some point...to this day, almost 50 years, I have never seen Rosemary's Baby from opening credits to closing credits.

A question then. Did you put it on with the intention of falling asleep while it was on? Or was it just the happenstance of having it on that made you nod off? You know how some kids can't sleep until they've had a bedtime story or carried out some regular ritual? Well, I've got to the point now that I know if I put a certain film on, it might get me to sleep quicker, which is odd, seeing as the reason for its being in the first place is to entertain.
It was with the intention of falling asleep with it on. I think I may have been taking ambien at the time too but I can't be certain.

Re: Godzilla I believe I fell asleep 3 times during this movie and finally finished it on the 4th attempt.