Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

Originally Posted by SmegFirk
You are getting good at this
Yes...i've only had my i-book since last August....i'm becoming a pro....9 months later. Ahem.

My computer recognizes my DVD burner, it recognizes another DVD player, it says that they are working properly, it says that there are no better drivers for them on-line, however, it doesn't recognize when DVDs, and/or CDs are in them. Any ideas on what may be wrong here!?!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It could be that you un-installed something on accident. I've done this before, and all I could do to fix it was download a DVD Player.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Randomly visiting for now
You could try re-installing, or maybe go to the company website and look for a forum because somebody else may have the same problem as you. Or even a FAQ could be helpful. Otherwise just ring the company you bought it from. I always leave that as a last resort though because in the words of a good friend of mine 'you silly man you' i'm always trying to do it myself, it might really help though

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
Maybe at times, when we have a problem, someone else on the board will have the solution. Well, I am hoping so right now.

My computer recognizes my DVD burner, it recognizes another DVD player, it says that they are working properly, it says that there are no better drivers for them on-line, however, it doesn't recognize when DVDs, and/or CDs are in them. Any ideas on what may be wrong here!?!

Hi,
Have you fixed this problem yet? If so what worked for you? If not what kind of dvd playing and burning software do you use? If you have not tried it already and you are running XP you can try a restore to a date when it did work. If the drive is bad though not much will help other than changing it out. Sony has received a lot of flack in the recent past because some of their copy protection software has caused some dvd players to stop operating correctly. Anyway let me know how it is going and what you have found out, this is a common problem that i see a few times a month in my shop.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Hi,
Have you fixed this problem yet? If so what worked for you? If not what kind of dvd playing and burning software do you use? If you have not tried it already and you are running XP you can try a restore to a date when it did work. If the drive is bad though not much will help other than changing it out. Sony has received a lot of flack in the recent past because some of their copy protection software has caused some dvd players to stop operating correctly. Anyway let me know how it is going and what you have found out, this is a common problem that i see a few times a month in my shop.
Thanks.
Well hell, I missed this post. No, I never fixed it. I have no clue what is going on, and I can usually fix my computer problems. I have even placed another DVD player in this computer, and it won't run either. This really has me stumped. When I go to start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, it says I have the best drivers, that it is working properly, and when I disabled, reload, nothing changes. It is a Sony DVD burner.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Has anyone tried out this little program? cFosspeed

It's an internet connection traffic-shaper which is supposed to get the best out of your connection, not turn a 1MB line into 2MB you understand, by well...doing magic stuff to your router...

Unlike myself, non-luddites might understand how the magic happens and, after using it for a week now, happen it does. I've got an 8MB connection and even that was prone to slowing down to a near standstill when surfing at peak times or doing other stuff like streaming or downloading.

With cFosspeed installed it runs like lightening all the time, no matter what I'm doing, simply by prioritizing whatever application needs the guts of your connection at any given time.

It's free for 30 days to test and beyond that only costs €9 for the full program. So I bought it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Is it usable in the USA too?? That does sound handy, now that I'm trying out Vongo (like Napster for movies) and other services like this. And I do a lot of online gaming and at those times, I'd like the connection to prioritize the game. (I already try to close everything before gaming, but every little bit helps.)

You ready? You look ready.
Is it usable in the USA too?? That does sound handy, now that I'm trying out Vongo (like Napster for movies) and other services like this. And I do a lot of online gaming and at those times, I'd like the connection to prioritize the game. (I already try to close everything before gaming, but every little bit helps.)
The best bet for speed is at your router because you're mostly not going to have control over the actual service. They make several routers that prioritize video game traffic above everything else and that's usually where you get most of the "lag." I'm one of the lucky customers with a 12 MB downstream connection and a 1 MB upstream connection. Ah, the beauty of Cox Communications.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
I expect it'll work if your router is compatible - they have a list on the website along with compatible ISPs listed by location (and the USA is included). It's a German company and has got rave reviews when I delved a bit deeper on the net.

There's already a lot of games which it's pre-configured for (as well as p2p programs, VOIP etc) so it'll give you priority on that part of your connection when you need it. I guess the idea is similar to those new routers coming out with QoS - mine has the feature but the effect is negligible compared to cFosspeed.

Best bet, of course, is to try it for yourself. I've installed it on a few systems with different branded routers and it's worked fine.

I'm now pinging so fast that I'm beginning to pong...

OK! Stop! Restarting, shutting down, and then the blue screen. I have had this problem on 2 home computers, for quite some time now, but I was too stubborn to do anything less than fix it myself. I see 2 people now complaining about the same thing in the chat box. What I do know about this deal is, that anytime I reformat, BEFORE I allow the automatic updates to load, I do NOT have this problem. The thing is, I have to have the service pack, in order for my Plextor to work. That is the setup that I use for the video clip game. Anyways, I noticed the delay in the problem, a week or so ago, when I was too busy to re-load the updates, etc . . . , yet once I loaded them, they started right back up. So, on this last reformat, I went 3 days, and then once I loaded them, all my troubles started yet again, during the downloads even. I reformatted my daughter's computer, 2 weeks ago, and never did any updates. Guess what her's isn't doing anymore? Makes you wonder, doesn't it!?! What kind of motherboard do you 2 have?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Haven't a clue at the moment. I bought a Compaq SR1611NX-B about 16 months ago really cheap and have upgraded a few things like memory (I'm at 2GB of RAM right now) and added a second hard drive and then a huge external hard drive for backup and games and photos.

But everything else is the original parts. ATI Radeon Express 200 graphics cards (256MB), but don't know the motherboard without opening it up.

I just upgraded to Vista Business and love it.

Have you tried reformatting, reinstalling WinXP, then the SPs BEFORE installing anything else? A really clean installation with all updates and SPs before moving on to putting anything else there? I assume you do mean an actual "reformat" when you say "reformat," right? (Sorry if that's obvious -- I have no clue what anyone else's computer experience is!)

I tend to be slow and cautious about loading things in the right order, but I always did let WinUpdate keep the OS up to date. I try to get rid of bloatware and spyware and all that stuff. And I uninstall programs I'm not using anymore (through Add/Remove, NOT just deleting them), etc.

I'm not pointing fingers or anything, but I find it's so hard to diagnose another person's computer since so much is based on user habits and tendencies as much as actual hardware. My mom used to call me from 2500 miles away back when she was new to computers and try to get my help by telling me informative stuff like, "The thingy is blinking!"

Soooooo ... Perhaps if you think outside the box (so to speak) and don't automatically assume it's a SP problem or Windows problem. Perhaps some OTHER program is the culprit.

Soooooo ... Perhaps if you think outside the box (so to speak) and don't automatically assume it's a SP problem or Windows problem. Perhaps some OTHER program is the culprit.
Nothing automatic here. I have thought of everything else first, as I have been dealing with this problem for a few months now. This is a straight up, testing it to see what happens deal, and it happened. I was just curious what motherboard gummo and John had.

It could be a memory problem. Whenever I get the BSOD, that's the first place I look. I highly doubt your problem is the motherboard because I wasn't getting BSODs when my computer reset itself. It just turned off and started right back up again.

If you have an extra memory lying around, try that first. If it still keeps going on, load each individual program/update one at a time. After you load a program/update, run the computer for a day and see if it restarts. That should be an easy way to find a software culprit. I still say it's a good bet that it's your memory, though.

Again, I have tried everything else, first. This, reloading updates, was my last test, and that is when my problems started back up again. I have 5 computers in the house. All put together right here. Parts from newegg.com. I was just curious what motherboard you 2 had. Luckily for me, gummo knows squat about computers.

Again, I have tried everything else, first. This, reloading updates, was my last test, and that is when my problems started back up again. I have 5 computers in the house. All put together right here. Parts from newegg.com. I was just curious what motherboard you 2 had. Luckily for me, gummo knows squat about computers.
From what it sounds like, you're not having a motherboard issue.

I said they start after updates. No offense, but I didn't ask you for tips, seeings how I have already fixed my issue. I SIMPLY asked you what motherboard you had. That, you have yet to answer.

I said they start after updates. No offense, but I didn't ask you for tips, seeings how I have already fixed my issue. I SIMPLY asked you what motherboard you had. That, you have yet to answer.
Me telling you what kind of motherboard I have isn't going to help you all that well. Do you have a 939 socket processor? If not, you don't need to know what kind of motherboard I'm using.

Glad to hear you fixed your problem, though.

I don't know what kind of motherboard I had, but the people at the place where I got the laptop said that it is the fault of the motherboard, it just went dead. He opened it up and everything. Anyway, because the laptop is under warrenty and they replace the motherboard for free, I couldn't care less about what kind it is or why it went dead. We have the warrenty for another year so if this ever happens again, we know what the problem is and then we can deal with it if it happens after the warrenty runs out.