Have you got a gun/would you kill someone?

Tools    

I was just reading about the 'March for our Lives' being one of the largest protest marches in US history. So I guess that the subject of gun ownership/control is something that people are discussing a lot in the US at the moment. (I'm European so it's never such a big deal here.)

So to my question: if you're from the US, have you got a gun and would you kill someone if necessary?

Man, Rick Santorum's CPR statement was incredible. Just utterly tone-deaf, bordering on trolling even. I genuinely laughed at it which is horrible since it's so serious.

Not commenting on gun control for the record i stay out of those discussions, i just couldn't believe what i was reading.

I dont own a gun. Did you want me to still answer the second question if I dont own a gun? If someone was coming after loved ones I might try to incapacitate them but clearly it wouldnt be with a gun. I have a baseball bat. And lots of throwable objects. And I can run pretty fast.

Anyway, I actually went to the march this weekend. It was a great event. Beautiful day and such great focused energy in the crowd. Was like 3 or 4 blocks from the stage so I didnt catch everything but its just amazing to me how well spoken and focused these kids are. I would have been a babbling mess if CNN shoved a camera in my face and wanted me to be the face of such an enormous important movement when I was in high school. But these kids are cool and calm in the spotlight and fully on point every time I see them. I guess thats what happens when you shoot up a school full of progressive gifted kids who aspire to be future community leaders. Cant wait till they are all voting age. I worry about them though. Its such an enormous enormous weight to fall on the shoulders of such YOUNG people... One girl threw up on stage in the middle of her speech because of nerves! And Emma Gonzalez went from being an anonymous high school kid to having more Twitter followers then the NRA itself OVERNIGHT... Thats incomprehensible to me... And it scares me to death. They are now going to be the red hot focus of some of the worst people and some of the most powerful people in the country who will stop at nothing to undercut them and intimidate them and much worse.

The NRA death hold on the american public all in the name of gun manufacturer profits needs to end yesterday...

I'd like to respond to a lot of that, but I'd like the OP to weigh in first as to whether or not they intended this to become a discussion about gun control, since technically that's not what the initial question was and they may not want the thread hijacked by that (which it totally will be, if it's discussed at all).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Please don't think I'm a bigot. I kill races equally.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think that only people with good education should be allowed to keep a gun . There should be a certain limit of education below which you cannot keep a gun . Maybe only degree holders should be allowed to keep a gun. I think people with good educational qualifications will not kill anyone without provocation.

How many of those who carried out unprovoked shootings in US have been women ? Almost nobody?

Does keeping a gun appeal to the masculinity of men ? I have read some opinions of right wingers of the liberal movement robbing them of their masculinity.

I'm sure that's what proponents of gun control like to say. Most of the self-reported reasons from actual gun owners have more to do with protection.

Anyway, plenty of thoughts on this and the rush of adolescent activism attached to it, but as I said, I think it's best to see if this is what the OP wanted the thread to be before diving into all that.

You guys have Google, don't you?
I do but I would never use it to kill someone.

Suppose the decision to ban guns is finally taken . What would be the reaction of the gun lobby? Would they be provoked like cornered lions ? Would it trigger several mass shootings in US ?

Would America remain superpower if it abandoned it's aggro attitude--- brandishing guns and all ? China would become superpower . The other strongman would be Russia.

I feel any decision on gun control should be based on wider aspect of things than just domestic concerns. How will it affect American standing in the world etc .

It won't. The only way it could plausibly matter in a diplomatic sense is if someone were considering invading the United States. Otherwise, the military will still have guns and missiles and nuclear bombs. Foreign powers aren't making decisions about how to deal with us based on whether someone in Kentucky has a gun or not.