Rank and Rate Coen Bros. Films

Tools    

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Ok, what is with everyone's hatred of Hail Caesar, it wasn't their best film, not even close, but some people are placing it under Lady Killers.

I can understand how some would not get the humor, but I can't understand how people could not find this movie entertaining.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen Brothers and I've seen all of their feature length films. I pretty much like everything they've made, but this is how I'd rank them from favorite to least favorite right now:

1) The Man Who Wasn't There
2) O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3) Barton Fink
4) The Big Lebowski
5) Fargo
6) Miller's Crossing
7) Intolerable Cruelty
8) The Hudsucker Proxy
9) No Country for Old Men
10) A Serious Man
11) Hail, Caesar!
12) Blood Simple.
13) Inside Llewyn Davis
14) True Grit
15) Burn After Reading
16) Raising Arizona
17) The Ladykillers

Some sidenotes:

I still like The Ladykillers to some extent, so it's perfectly possible that I still am very fond of a film that's near the bottom of this list.

I thought Hail, Caesar! was a lot of fun, but I did expect to like it even more before going in, because the time period and the world the film is set in are exactly my kind of thing. I wished it was longer and more developed as a story, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and it had some fantastic scenes in it. I just wanted even more.

I felt the same way about Hail Cesar! Cob. I have been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks though. I can't wait to buy it and watch it a couple more times this year. I am hoping it will be one of those Coen brothers that grows on me after a couple of viewings. I think I am usually that way with their more comedic films.

I felt the same way about Hail Cesar! Cob. I have been thinking about it a lot the last few weeks though. I can't wait to buy it and watch it a couple more times this year. I am hoping it will be one of those Coen brothers that grows on me after a couple of viewings. I think I am usually that way with their more comedic films.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to watch it again, as well. It's just that the world and the characters were so much fun, that I wanted the film to be an hour longer. Some parts weren't explored enough for me.
I wanted to see Baird Whitlock at a vintage Hollywood party, I wanted the cute little romance between Hobbie Doyle (who was a unexpectedly great character in my opinion, by the way) and his co-star to be more developed, I wanted more of Scarlett Johansson's character, I wanted to see even more old-fashioned movie scenes...

Perhaps that wouldn't have worked as well with other people, but I felt that the main frustration with this film, for me personally, was that I loved its setting so much that I was left wanting more. It's both a compliment and a criticism.

BANNED
Well I am not going to grade them but will rank them in my most memorable order:

No Country For Old Men
Miller's Crossing
Fargo
Barton Fink
Blood Simple
Big Lebowski
Burn After Reading

I am quite fascinated by the blend of dark humor and film noir present in these movies.

Here's how I'd rank them. I haven't seen Hail, Caesar!

1. Miller’s Crossing (1990) A+
2. The Big Lebowski (1998) A+
3. Fargo (1996) A
4. No Country for Old Men (2007) A
5. Barton Fink (1991) A-
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) A-
7. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) A-
8. A Serious Man (2009) B+
9. Raising Arizona (1987) B+
10. True Grit (2010) B+
11. Blood Simple (1984) B
12. Inside Llewyn Davis (2014) B
13. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) B
14. Burn After Reading (2008) B
15. The Ladykillers (2004) B
16. Intolerable Cruelty (2003) B-

I had only seen a few of them. I want to see more. Here are my opinions so far.

1 The Big Lebowski - Apart from arguably being one of their more accessible films, it also is genuine. It sort of acknowledges that it's an outlandish adventure and works from there. While it has the comedy, action, drama and plot twists, it's mainly designed to be a roller coaster ride.

2 Barton Fink - I find this one underrated. It has elements of surrealism, comedy and some bits of horror. It's clear that it's an allegory of some sort, about selling out in Hollywood. It manages to be comedic in having every worst possible thing distract Barton while he's trying to write his screenplay. But it still is engaging for it's mysterious moments too. It has just the right amount of minimalism and depth under the hood.

3 Fargo - It wanted to be both a comedy and a crime mystery. It did both aspects well, but neither of them excelled. The folksy midwestern stereotype was kind of played out and the plot is a bit too much of a hook to justify as only being a farce.

4 No Country For Old Men - Bardem was excellent. The chase scenes in the middle of the movie were some of the best and most clever adrenaline pumping suspense I've seen, but the first half-hour was slow and the last half-hour doesn't really go anywhere. At it's best, it has some of the best directing I've seen from the Coens, but it feels like it's missing something.

This might just do nobody any good.
That I've seen...

1. A Serious Man
2. Miller's Crossing
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Barton Fink
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
7. The Big Lebowski
8. True Grit
9. The Man Who Wasn't There
10. Fargo
11. Raising Arizona*
12. Hail, Caesar!
13. The Hudsucker Proxy
14. Burn After Reading
15. The Ladykillers

*due for a rewatch

1. Inside Llewyn Davis -

2. The Big Lebowski -

3. Fargo -

4. No Country for Old Men -

5. Barton Fink -

6. True Grit -

7. Burn After Reading -

8. Blood Simple -

9. Miller's Crossing -

10. O Brother, Where Art Thou? -

11. Raising Arizona -

12. The Man Who Wasn't There -

13. A Serious Man -

14. The Ladykillers -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Don't agree with my list on the first page:

01. Inside Llewyn Davis
02. The Big Lebowski
03. A Serious Man
04. Barton Fink
05. Raising Arizona
06. Fargo
07. Millers Crossing
08. Burn After Reading
09. The Hudsucker Proxy
10. True Grit
11. No Country For Old Men
12. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
13. Intolerable Cruelty
14. The Ladykillers

Still have to see Blood Simple, The Man Who Wasn't There and Hail Caesar.

That I've seen...

1. A Serious Man
2. Miller's Crossing
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Barton Fink
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
7. The Big Lebowski
8. True Grit
9. The Man Who Wasn't There
10. Fargo
11. Raising Arizona*
12. Hail, Caesar!
13. The Hudsucker Proxy
14. Burn After Reading
15. The Ladykillers

*due for a rewatch
It really is quite shocking but my list looks exactly like this, literally all 15 spots.

I haven't seen many of their movies, but here's where I rank the ones I have seen:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. True Grit
4. Burn After Reading

And believe me when I say I have many more I plan to watch!

You've got red on you!
I'm a huge Coen bros. fan, but two points: I've clearly not seen enough of their films, and I despised No Country for Old Men. Sorry, guys!

Anyway, I'm not much for ranking, but my faves would probably go in this order-

1. The Big Lebowski
2. A Serious Man
3. Fargo
4. Raising Arizona
5. O Brother Where Art Thou
6. True Grit
7. Burn After Reading
8. Barton Fink
9. Miller's Crossing
10. Hail Caesar
11. Inside Llewyn Davis

PS: A Serious Man was filmed not far from where I grew up, and I saw the bros once while out for dinner, which was very cool!

1. True Grit-

2. Barton Fink-
+
3. Millers Crossing-
+
4. The Big Lebowski-
-
5. Burn After Reading-
+
6.Fargo-

7. A serious Man-
+