Salt

→ in
Tools    

Viewers are now tired of watching the so called 'spy action thrillers'. Phillip Noyce either failed to understand that, or considered us masochists.

Noyce's two earlier movies 'The Saint' and 'The Bone Collector' had a riveting story beside thrill, suspense and action; however in 'Salt' the story is too banal and formulaic.

The film stars Angelina Jolie, whose character Evelyn Salt goes on a run to exculpate herself from being accused of a KGB sleeper agent. How she beats the hell out of the bad guys, faces all the dangers, clears away all the acquisitions make up the interest of the story. The strange thing is, the issue of cold-war had gone buried decades ago, why then Noyce felt bothered about referring to that forgotten era, isn’t clear. The entire flashback episode shows how Soviet agents taught Salt how to strike an attack on the US. Wow! Noyce is too imaginative here; Soviet agents were surely not that stupid.

Apart from such a senseless script, actor performance is also a letdown. Jolie got a whole new attitude after the ‘Lara Croft’ series. I think she decided to appear in action-packed movies only and Noyce agreed to promote her, otherwise there’s no explanation as to why the script was written second time thinking of her in the lead role instead of Tom Cruise, selected initially. Anyways, Jolie’s acting isn’t satisfactory and same applies to Liev Schreiber and Daniel Olbrychski.

Having said all these, I should add that ‘Salt’ was a success in box-office scoring $284 million. However, being a critic I have to sound a bit hard-nosed as financial success and critical acclamation are different altogether.

Never saw it but the previews didn't look like anything exciting.

Salt is at least 3 times better than The Bone Collector. The Bone Collector sucked.

I keep telling myself I want to see this, but never do.

the only reason id be seeing this is because some of the action scenes were filmed in Albany, NY and that happens to be where im from.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/js29kola/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Who doesn't love Angelina. I enjoyed this movie very much. I was kind of skeptical when I first watched the trailer but it is definitely worth watching in the theaters.

I agree with Fusioncore on a lot of the points made about "Salt". The movie is not by any means unwatchable or devoid of all entertainment value, but it just felt like I had seen it before as I sat in the theatre on a date very near the opening of this film.

A good thing about "Salt" is it has the potential to help you realize how completely formulated our art is becoming, not just in movies but in all entertainment. This knowledge can help you make an important decision to seek out and support more creative media (many times independent of corporate influence) before it vanishes completely.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
the only reason id be seeing this is because some of the action scenes were filmed in Albany, NY and that happens to be where im from.
Sure, sure. All that good stuff. What I want to know is how "Couple caught having sex in bank" is a related video.

"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

May watch this sometime not a big fan of Angie

the movie is okay, i think for a action movie with a female lead its a good watch.

Watching Flightplan for the first time now. After it's over I'm going to watch Salt. Hoping it's good and not just another cheesy Hollywood action flick.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The problem with a film like this is that you know they are going to try and throw a curveball at you at some point and I guessed what it was going to be. The fight sequences were pretty meh, as was the action. I really liked to deaths in the film, one with some cuffs and the other a broken bottle.

Suspect's Reviews

Just finished watching this film. I have to say I was quite pleased. It was extremely better than I thought it was going to be. Definitely one of the better movies of 2010.

Angelina Jolie was great in it. This film was loaded with excellent action scenes. Jolie did intensive training for the movie and did most of the stunts herself.

I'll definitely buy this and add it to my collection. It's a film I can see watching a couple times a year. I enjoyed this much better than any of the Bourne Identity and Mission Impossible movies.

Did you know Tom Cruise was originally pegged to play the lead role? They mutually decided against it because they felt Cruise's character in Mission Impossible was too similar. Plus Cruise had other projects going on. So in the end they made changes to the character and casted Jolie.

I haven't watched them yet but on the DVD there's 2 additional versions. A Director's Cut and an Extended Cut. It says both versions feature different plots and have different endings. Think I'll check them out tomorrow.

There's also likely to be a sequel to this, perhaps several of them. It could turn out to be a franchise. I'm excited about this. Can't wait.

I give this a.....

I watched it last night as well. Thought it would be a run of the mill flick but it was actually pretty solid. It had some balls not to cop out on points or descend into overblown mushy sentimentality and surprisingly, I didn't see the big twist coming but worked out the spider venom related one as soon as she picked up the spider. Didn't mind the Cold War plot, was a bit refeshing and nostalgic. Either way, worth watching more so than a lot of action fodder out there.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
That's exactly what I thought. How wrong I was. Very good movie in my opinion. Highly recommend it to anyone.
I liked it, but can't gush about it as much as you did, Gunny. I liked it enough to not regret renting it. I might buy it one day, but I'll wait til it hits the bargain bin.

I'd give it more of a
than a
. If you haven't already, check out The A-Team. I'd say they're both about the same in finding that balance in the action. Nothing to unbelievable in either of them, which makes them more fun to watch, IMO.

Nothing unbelievable in The A-Team? Did you see the tank fall from the sky, land at the bottom of a pond and casually drive out? Or the massive set piece finale with the crates falling everywhere? Wouldn't have said it was the best comparison imo