Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

I was notified that I put this in the Intermission Thread, which I should have placed it in here. Therefore, may this thread continue from here on........

Glory

-James Horner's score can be put in headphones and listened to anytime, no matter what your musical taste
-Shaw's decision not to take pay
-Theme: human souls are alike - whether you be a priviledged white officer or a runaway slave
-Andre Braugher's breakout performance
-Denzel's Oscar speech, saying he'd gladly trade his best supporting award for a "nomination" - it amazingly wasn't even nominated
-the first time the 54th sees action, and Thomas becomes a man
-the leadership and character of Robert Shaw - (portrayed by Broderick)
-the foul-mouth, bad-tempered Irish drill seargant that whips them into shape
-the charge on Fort Wagner, and the willingness to sacrifice
-the prayerful preparation the night before battle

Good choice jrs. I too love Glory, and I feel it is Broderick's finest moment.

1.) Steve McQueen's finest Role.
2.) Reassures that Dustin Hoffman is one of the greatest.
3.) Papillon sticks his head through the door asking, "Do I look alright?"
4.) Papillon being taken down with blow guns.
5.) True love between Brothers.
6.) Wonderful direction.
7.) A perfect example of a mans will to live.
8.) Beautiful location.
9.) The best use of cocoa leaves.
10.) Excellent make-up.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
12 Monkeys

Shows the stress of existing in different time periods on the mind of the time traveller

Juxtaposition (Stowe/Willis change opinions about being crazy or not at exactly the same time)

The Sets

Gilliam is the man

Pitt plays a GREAT insane person

Overall, this film ties in dreams, perception, insanity, love, and time into a great package.

The scene where they go and see Vertigo is a master stroke.

Cheers

Sedai

Do you know my poetry?

1. Adam Sandler's best role
2. It showed everybody that Sandler can actually act
3. It has realistic dialogue
4. I loved how they did the love storyline here
5. The love lines were not corny dialogue (thank god)
6. It really made me care about these characters
7. It had the excellent actor Phillip Semour Hoffman
8. It was a PTA movie
9. The music score was one of my favorites
10. The story between Sandler and his sisters seems very real

This was my favorite film of 2002 and I hate that Adam Sandler didn't get nominated for anything for his role here.

Lord of the Rings: TTT is my actual favorite, but I have many other CLOSE seconds, so I'll give some of them

Fight Club (believe it or not)

1.It stars Edward Norton
2.It stars Brad Pitt
3.It has some great dialogue, nothing lame.
4.PROJECT MAYHEM (nuff said)
5.Great acting. Maybe this is a bit vague, but it still just has superb acting
6.they sell soap, that's just cool
7.it's also a great book
8.the story is really, really good. One of the better movie plots, ever IMO
9.THE ENDING! OMG!!!!!!!
10.The movie just downright kicks a**!!!
And found he was eating his shoe.

Chinatown
1974 - Roman Polanski
  • Robert Towne's script, simply one of the greatest original screenplays EVER written
  • John Huston as Noah Cross, one of the creepiest and most unrepentant screen villains of all time
  • John Alonzo's beautiful and evocative widescreen cinematography
  • Jerry Goldsmith's haunting score
  • Polanski's cameo as "the midget" with the knife

"Hold it there, Kitty Cat."

• the gutsiness of having the leading man walk around with a bandage or ugly wound on his nose for the second half of the movie
  • the devastating and still surprising "she's my sister and my daughter" confession
  • the darkest of endings: lover killed, innocent girl sent away with her abusive father/grandfather, the corrupt rich getting richer, and a stunned Jake powerless to do anything about it
  • the sure-handed helming of it all and fully realizing the incredible vision by Roman Polanksi
  • "As little as possible"

"He OWNS the Police!"

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	midget.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	18354   Click image for larger version

Name:	police.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	18355  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lawrence of Arabia (1962, David Lean)
  • The flawless and beautiful debut of performance of Peter O'Toole as Lawrence.
  • The supporting cast and its sheer weight of talent. Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Omar Sharif, José Ferrer, Claude Rains...
  • Freddie Young's gorgeous cinematography, which is both intimate and epic all at once. Possibly the greatest use of cinemascope in movie history.
  • Maurice Jarre's score, and the fact that the film dedicates four minutes to an overture just so we can listen to it.
  • The lemonade/Aqaba scene in the mess. Moving, informative and yet still damned funny. One of the most perfectly written scenes ever, in my opinion.

"There's been a lot of killing, one way or another."
  • The action scenes are emotionally engaging, they're not just action scenes. You feel something when you watch them, and they have a distinct purpose.
  • The fact that the film is, as Scorsese once said, an "interior epic". For all the amazing things that happen in the picture, it is still able to tell the somewhat tragic story of this man and his internal struggle with himself. And that's amazingly special to me.
  • The blowing out of a match, and the greatest cut of all time.
  • The manner in which the film only feels twenty minutes long
  • The passion David Lean had for both cinema and the act of making it. You can feel it seeping out of every frame of every reel in the picture.

"Damascus, Lawrence! Damascus"

I liked the way the two of you presented your choices, so I felt compelled to practice with my own.

The Blair Witch Project
(1999, Eduardo Sánchez and Daniel Myrick)
  • It is a truly one of a kind horror picture.
  • Absolutely and completely believable.
  • Astounding true to life acting by all three principal characters.
  • It is the only movie to actually give me goose bumps with its creepiness.
  • The fact that it doesn't ever show the villian and leaves it to us to imagine it.

"Are you happy now Heather? Are you?!"
  • It doesn't rely on blood to make a point.
  • Excellent editing between both cameras’ that adds to the oppression the characters feel.
  • Heather's confession is very real.
  • The way that the director's kept everything under wraps even after it was released.
  • Michael in the corner *shudder*

"We're being hunted"

Holy bombs make holy holes...
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian:

1. The interplay between the Monty Python team was at it's best in this movie.

2. The storyline was dicy and really stuck it to organized religion.

3. It had some of the best skits that Monty Python ever wrote. (He has a wife you know...her name is Intercontinentia...Intercontinetia Buttocks.)

4. Graham Chapman probably gave one of his best performances ever in this one.

5. The scenes that poke fun at terror organization names still rings true today...

Brian: Are you the Judean People's Front?

Reg: &@*! off.

Brian: What?

Reg: Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea. Judean People's front, caw.

Francis: Wankers.

Brian: Can I join your group?

Reg: No. Piss off.

6. The script is absolutely brilliant. Comedy writing is one of the hardest forms of movie writing imo and when you read this one it just jumps off the page.

7. No one has done a better religious satire since.

8. Some of Terry's best animation sequences can be found in this one.

9. It's better than The Holy Grail.

10. The ending scene is one of the most brilliant ever filmed imo. A slow pull away shot of a bunch of crucified people singing, 'The Bright Side of Life'? Brilliant.
Dennis: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how'd you get that eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

-The Holy Grail

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping on the bandwagon...I think Holden's structuring is too cool.

Now...which movie to pick? I'll do one I don't think will be taken:

Dead Again (1991, Kenneth Branagh)
  • Perfect acting by everyone involved.
  • One of the most shockingly evil villains ever put to the screen.
  • Not one, but TWO of the greatest twists ever.
  • The opening sequence.
  • It perfectly balances amounts of the supernatural, noir, mystery, and romance.

"Nothing can separate them...not even death."
  • Ingenious directing from Branagh.
  • Excellent flashback scenes that give poignancy and depth to both the romance and the mystery.
  • Employs a Hitchcockian feel which is perfect for the material.
  • Wonderful script that fleshes out the script and still leaves room for the twists.
  • Great musical score.

"Actually, I'm a hypnotist."

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Terminator 2 Judgment Day [1991, James Cameron]

Great director. First Terminator movie didn't bring much attention to the public but James Cameron would come back 7 years later to show a classic film that changed action movies in many different ways.

Great cast. Arnold Schwarzenegger would come back to the character that made him world famous. Linda Hamilton gave a good performance showing her tuff side. Also, the debut of a 13 - year old boy [Edward Furlong] left audiences shocked with some great acting.

Action. The movie has some great action scenes that have been in lots of people's mind. Having a bullet go thru a cops right eye has been something classic.

Music. Brad Fiedel is one of the reasons why T2 is such an excellent film. The Terminator theme was his creation and he made a good job at doing it. Too bad he did not come back 12 years later

Story. Though the story can be confusing at some points, the real deal is the war against the machines and humans. A machine is sent back in time to save mankind's future from destruction. The film has drama with moments that make you feel like you want to cry. The film takes it's time by letting the characters talk, learn, and take actions that will change the future in many ways.

Terminator 2 is a masterpiece that lives on in many people's lives.

Put me in your pocket...
10 reasons for my loving...

Top Hat (1935)
Directed by Mark Sandrich

1. Fred Astaire (Jerry Travers) and Ginger Rogers (Dale Tremont) are at their best together. I think this is my favorite of all of their movies.

2. The supporting cast is brilliant...Edward Everett Horton (Horace Hardwick), Erik Rhodes (Alberto Beddini), Eric Blore (Bates), Helen Broderick (Madge Hardwick). They're are all wonderful...funny, great timing and all have a great chemistry together.

3. Story...I love the charming story of mistaken identity. They did this so well back then.

4. Writing...great snappy dialogue between the characters.

5. Music...wonderful songs by Irving Berlin..."Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails," "Cheek to Cheek," “ It’s This a Lovely Day to be caught in the Rain”, The Piccolino”.

6. Great Dancing.

7. Set Design...I love the art decco sets.

8. Art Direction...I love the artsy quality of this. It's eye candy to me...the way the textures were used... like Ginger’s feather gown against the background.

9. Costumes...I love Ginger’s gown’s and Fred in his Top Hat and Black tails. They portrayed such class back then.

10. This movie was the total package for me. Charm, humor, style, great characters and acting....and a fun story and writing.

~~This classic 1935 movie is like a breath of fresh air compared to the crap that is being made today like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TopHat.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	2027  

Dead Again is truly and amazing movie. I totally agree w/ Beale.

While all of the above mentioned are awesome, I myself almost did one on Yojimbo, which is, for my money, Kurosawa's masterpiece. I still haven't seen Throne of Blood or The Hidden Fortess...and a few others though.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Dead Again is truly and amazing movie. I totally agree w/ Beale.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
While all of the above mentioned are awesome, I myself almost did one on Yojimbo, which is, for my money, Kurosawa's masterpiece. I still haven't seen Throne of Blood or The Hidden Fortess...and a few others though.
Definitley, Kurosawa's masterpiece, in my opinion. I just watched it last night and I had to do one on it. I'm still letting the greatness of that film sink in.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Definitley, Kurosawa's masterpiece, in my opinion. I just watched it last night and I had to do one on it. I'm still letting the greatness of that film sink in.
Did you watch the Samurai movie marathon on TCM?

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Did you watch the Samurai movie marathon on TCM?
Yeah, that's where I saw it. I was immediately entranced by it. They should do that more often.

I agree. That goodness for The Last Samurai...

Sling Blade

1. It is the perfect motion picture model of the finest Southern Gothic literature, e.g. William Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor. There is plenty of symbolism and religious themes throughout.

2. It is unnervingly realistic, almost to the point of documentary. Miniscule details appear in the film naturally, and without explanation-- such as the snorting hospital guard in the beginning of the film-- much like they would in real life. It is quirky in its simplicity and detail.

3. BB Thornton's role is one of the finest pieces of acting in film history. The other characters are also superb, not the least of which is the late John Ritter's Vaughan.

4. The story is deceptively simple and Shakespearean in its moral depth.

5. It is naturally humorous. Not a gut-busting funny movie of course, but witty as a matter of consequence.

6. The movie speaks to me unlike any film I have ever seen. For lack of a better description, it is like a minor religious experience.

7. BB Thornton's "tour-de-force" accomplishment is easily the finest since Welles' Citizen Kane.

8. It is moving without being mawkish and, in its poignancy, it is without peer.

9. The original soundtrack is perfect for the mood and style of the film and adds greatly to its riveting effect.

10. The plot of the film features one of my favorite protagonists: "the unlikely or unconventional hero." These characters exist in a movie where the ending is ambiguous: is it a comedy or is it a drama? Is it ultimately triumphant, or is it despairing? Like Travis Bickle and Cool Hand Luke before him, the hero who is Karl Childers is both unconventional and sacrificial. Giving up one's own sanity, life, or freedom to save another's fate or preserve one's own image (Luke) is the greatest heroic deed. When this type of hero exists in a film that doesn't overstate the fact, or make things one dimensional, then the result is usually brilliant.

I must become Caligari..!
Well it says Choose A Favorite Film, so i will choose Se7en 1995.

Se7en 1995

1. The performance that made Brad Pitt one of the greatest actors of the 90's
2. David Finchers Attention to detail
3. The best looking film of all time, Lighting, Sets ect.
4. How the atmosphere created in the film effects the viewer,
5. The opening titles
6. John Does books, each hand made in full detail
7. Every performance in the films is A Grade, From the Leads, To the supporting cast.
8. The spelling of the title
9. The ending
10. The alternat ending
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...