I am going to watch at least one film from each country in 2018...

Tools    

Ireland. Top=Best. Bottom=Least best.

Got 2 of those in my top 10.

But does @Rhys mean movies directed by someone from each country?
I have not fully figured out how I am to define a film by country. Things like directors nationality, production company/funding origin, locations and other contexts all come into play.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Sounds like a great idea, Rhys. You better get cranking. I'll be interested in watching this thread

Taiwan...

Turkey...

Pakistan...

Russia, free and legal...

Some of you will remember me from when I first joined this forum on this date, four years ago. For 2014 I set myself the challenge to watch at least one film everyday to expand my knowledge of cinema and I succeeded in this endeavour.

After watching a Vice documentary this morning, I came up with the idea to watch at least one film from every country in 2018 to further broaden my knowledge of world cinema.

Since joining this forum in 2014, I started my Film Studies course at Univeristy and graduated from this. I am now undertaking a Masters degree in Filmmaking at the same Univeristy and will be graduating with this degree in 2018 as long as all goes well.

This thread will document the films from around the world that I watch this year.

I do not know the complete logistics of this yet as I am sure that some countries may have never made features or such. In these cases I will see what is most fitting (shorts and docs perhaps?).

If you guys have any suggestions that would be great!

I am currently typing all this up on my phone as I am away from home at the moment so I will make sure to design these first posts as to display what I have been watching etc.

Thanks.
Well, even Phillipines produces like 200 movies per year so you will be able to find something from almost any country (perhaps East Timor would be an exception).

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Well, even Phillipines produces like 200 movies per year so you will be able to find something from almost any country (perhaps East Timor would be an exception).
Here you go

https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/review...izs-war-review

Timor-Leste/Australian collaboration

I'd be interested in Rhys' choice from North Korea.

According to this site there's 195 Countries and the least populous is The Holy See which is the Vatican basically; i'm sure they've made religious films at least. Next is Tuvalu with around 11 Thousand people, here's one from there: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3438802/

Should be interesting to follow.

Scotland since i'm from there: Sweet Sixteen, Ratcatcher, Small Faces, Neds, Trainspotting, Gregory's Girl, Shallow Grave, etc.

I have not fully figured out how I am to define a film by country. Things like directors nationality, production company/funding origin, locations and other contexts all come into play.
Yeah i was curious about this. There's a number of films i think people would call Scottish that aren't in any way i define films anyway. I think Production Company/Funding Origin would be the most interesting and authentic. A Tuvalian (or whatever) film made by a Tuvalian Production Company is going to be harder to find than one made by someone from there i imagine. I'd also go by where it's set too if i was doing this, but obviously i'm not best of luck!

I gave @Rhys something to use to find films from countries. I hope it works out for him. Even at that, I can recommend a film from most European countries and a few other places.

For the movie from Russia, I can highly recommend War and Peace (1966):

It is a beautiful and fantastic literary translation of the book (in four parts, just like the book). If you don't have eight hours, then go with Night Watch (2004) and the sequel Day Watch (2006). They are two parts of the same story, so they are best viewed together.

According to this site there's 195 Countries and the least populous is The Holy See which is the Vatican basically; i'm sure they've made religious films at least. Next is Tuvalu with around 11 Thousand people, here's one from there: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3438802/

Should be interesting to follow.

Scotland since i'm from there: Sweet Sixteen, Ratcatcher, Small Faces, Neds, Trainspotting, Gregory's Girl, Shallow Grave, etc.
If he counts Scotland he has to do at least 3 or 4 Indian movies.

If he counts Scotland he has to do at least 3 or 4 Indian movies.

Wish you luck with your goal I'm georgian and I recommend to see "Udzinarta mze" / "THE SUN OF THE SLEEPLESS" (1992), It's the best georgian movie
you can watch it on youtube with english subtitles
and If It's not against the law in your location to use torrent,

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Wish you luck with your goal I'm georgian and I recommend to see "Udzinarta mze" / "THE SUN OF THE SLEEPLESS" (1992), It's the best georgian movie
you can watch it on youtube with english subtitles
and If It's not against the law in your location to use torrent,
It is on our website.

No Illegal Movie Downloads
Though discussions about the issue itself are permitted, asking where you can download movies illegally, or linking to such sites, is not allowed under any circumstance.

Some of you will remember me from when I first joined this forum on this date, four years ago. For 2014 I set myself the challenge to watch at least one film everyday to expand my knowledge of cinema and I succeeded in this endeavour.

After watching a Vice documentary this morning, I came up with the idea to watch at least one film from every country in 2018 to further broaden my knowledge of world cinema.

Since joining this forum in 2014, I started my Film Studies course at Univeristy and graduated from this. I am now undertaking a Masters degree in Filmmaking at the same Univeristy and will be graduating with this degree in 2018 as long as all goes well.

This thread will document the films from around the world that I watch this year.

I do not know the complete logistics of this yet as I am sure that some countries may have never made features or such. In these cases I will see what is most fitting (shorts and docs perhaps?).

If you guys have any suggestions that would be great!

I am currently typing all this up on my phone as I am away from home at the moment so I will make sure to design these first posts as to display what I have been watching etc.

Thanks.
One of the best new year resolution!

South Africa:

Can provide more suggestions if you're interested. I kind of assume everyone's seen District 9 and Invictus.

so ur gonna watch" case nb 23" ? the lebanese film from 2017? i highly recommend it

RHYS! Just now seeing this thread. SO glad you are coming back!