Luis' thoughts on 2017 theatrical releases

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I love being organized. Having found this new glorious forum, I feel like I have the perfect platform to keep track of the movies I watch. So here are all the films that I've seen that have come out exclusively in 2017 and my thoughts. Feel free to comment as I love discussing films.
1. A Monster Calls
2. Split
3. John Wick: Chapter 2
4. The LEGO Batman Movie
5. Get Out
6. Logan
7. Kong: Skull Island
8. Beauty and the Beast
9. Power Rangers
10. Ghost in the Shell
11. Life
12. The Bye Bye Man
13. The Boss Baby
14. Rings
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
16. Alien: Covenant
17. Colossal
18. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
19. Wonder Woman
20. A Cure for Wellness
21. It Comes at Night
22. The Belko Experiment
23. Cars 3
24. Despicable Me 3
25. Spiderman: Homecoming
26. Baby Driver
27. The Mummy
28. Going in Style
29. Gifted
30. Girl's Trip
31. The Big Sick
32. War for the Planet of the Apes
33. Dunkirk
34. Everything, Everything
35. The Dark Tower
36. Annabelle: Creation
37. Baywatch
38. The Hitman's Bodyguard
39. Rough Night
40. IT
41. A Ghost Story
42. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
43. mother!
44. Gerald's Game
45. The Beguiled
46. Me gusta, pero me asusta
47. The LEGO Ninjago Movie
48. Wind River
49. Happy Death Day
50. Blade Runner 2049
51. Coco
52. Leatherface
53. The Emoji Movie
54. Thor: Ragnarok
55. American Made
56. A Bad Mom's Christmas.
57. Justice League
58. Wonder
59. Lady Bird
60. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
61. The Disaster Artist
62. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
63. Atomic Blonde
64. Call me by Your Name
65. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
66. The Florida Project
67. The Shape of Water
68. The Post
69. I, Tonya
70. Darkest Hour
71. The Babysitter

1. A Monster Calls

Release Date: January 1
Technically this came out in 2016 but it wasn't available in any theater near me until January so I'm counting it. This was powerful, moving, beautifully acted and directed and has so many great visual and story metaphors.
GRADE - 88/100

2. Split

Release Date: January 20
This brought back a lot of solid filmmaking elements that highlighted Shyamalan's career in his glory days. Great concept executed extremely well. Great.
GRADE - 80/100

3. John Wick: Chapter 2

Release Date: February 24
It's a bit forgettable in the long run, but I remember the amazing action/fight choreography and the outstanding cinematography.
GRADE - 78/100

4. The LEGO Batman Movie

Release Date: February 10
This was comedic gold in my opinion, clever script and dialogue, vibrant action and plenty of belly laughs.
GRADE - 89/100

5. Get Out

Release Date: February 24
Fantastic thriller. I was so surprised to see such a masterfully crafted film from a newbie director. One of the most memorable horror/thrillers in recent memory.
GRADE - 92/100

I quite enjoyed Split.

I've heard good things about A Monster Calls and its on my watchlist.

John Wick 2 was pretty enjoyable.

Get Out was fantastic. Probably my favourite of the year so far.

Haven't seen Lego Batman but I liked The Lego Movie, so I might like that too.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I quite enjoyed Split.

I've heard good things about A Monster Calls and its on my watchlist.
It's a fantastic little film. Let me know what you think when you get to it!

Looking forward to seeing what else you have seen. Of those you posted I saw Get Out and Lego Batman. Liked them both, for much different reasons obviously. Welcome to Mofo Luis!

6. Logan

Release Date: March 1
Regrettably, I'm not attached to this character cause I haven't seen any of the X-Men movies (I know, shoot me) But objectively, I admire the amazing craftsmanship of the film, the gritty action, the character driven script, and the fantastic performances.
GRADE - 88/100

7. Kong: Skull Island

Release Date: March 10
The characters were very poor and so was the plot development. Although it does have some great action and this version of King Kong was honestly great.
GRADE - 65/100

8. Beauty and the Beast

Release Date: March 17
Disney live action films I felt were to improve the original, this one is just a literal live-action translation. So I guess that being said this one is as good as the original, but I feel obligated to take out some points due to the fact that it wasn't refreshing in any way. Beautifully made though.
GRADE - 86/100

Good idea for a thread! So far I haven't seen any of those...but I'll keep an eye on your thread. Maybe I'll find something I want to watch. Keep em coming!
Cool! Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep on going!

Looking forward to seeing what else you have seen. Of those you posted I saw Get Out and Lego Batman. Liked them both, for much different reasons obviously. Welcome to Mofo Luis!
Thank you! I'm loving the place and the people so far!! Such a great environment to discuss movies!

9. Power Rangers

Release Date: March 22
Enjoyable film. Nothing about it is great, yet nothing about it is horrible. If you have time to watch a 2 hour film that you might enjoy for visual noise and good enough characters, you can go a lot worse than this.
GRADE - 60/100

10. Ghost in the Shell

Release Date: March 16
Honestly, if it wasn't for the amazing visuals I would've gone insane at the movie theater. Poorly structured, forgettable plot, poor execution of an otherwise interesting concept, and subpar action sequences.
GRADE - 40/100

11. Life

Release Date: March 24
The suspense is well crafted, it has some great imagery and cool sci-fi elements. Characters are admittedly forgettable, but if the idea of multiple people trapped in a spaceship with a killer alien excites you, this is pretty much what you get.
GRADE - 72/100

Hey guess what, I seen one! LIFE....I thought the first act when the alien was tiny in the confinement room and then first escaped, was powerful stuff! OMG to the hand crushing scene.

I thought Logan was good but not as good as the hype. Beauty And The Beast was fine for what it was. Ghost In The Shell was pretty terrible. Fellm asleep halfway through Skull Island and had no desire to go back.

Very disappointed by Split and John Wick 2 personally. Logan was surprisingly good for what it was (not really a comic book movie fan). Loved Beauty and the Beast, will probably be my favourite of the year - nothing left in the year likely to beat it at this point anyway - and really enjoyed Life too.

Hey guess what, I seen one! LIFE....I thought the first act when the alien was tiny in the confinement room and then first escaped, was powerful stuff! OMG to the hand crushing scene.
Yeah, that was very well done! Great tension and a gruesome payoff!! I agree the first half is definitely the strongest part.

I thought Logan was good but not as good as the hype. Beauty And The Beast was fine for what it was. Ghost In The Shell was pretty terrible. Fellm asleep halfway through Skull Island and had no desire to go back.
Yeah, I would say Logan was great, the hype wasn't a problem for me. I agree about Ghost in the Shell, I didn't go lower because there are other movies I saw later that are just unwatchable. Skull Island has a great third act, it almost makes up for the boring first couple.

Very disappointed by Split and John Wick 2 personally. Logan was surprisingly good for what it was (not really a comic book movie fan). Loved Beauty and the Beast, will probably be my favourite of the year - nothing left in the year likely to beat it at this point anyway - and really enjoyed Life too.
That's too bad you didn't like Split, I thought it was a return to form. John Wick 2 was great when I first saw it, but I don't really have a desire to watch it again, which is why i didn't go higher. Beauty and the Beast is beautiful! Own it on bluray!

12. The Bye Bye Man

Release Date: January 11
Oh hell was this bad. It is not very often that I see a movie be so misguided and cheap. Everything that can go wrong in a bad horror film goes wrong x100. The only reason I'm not giving this a 0 is because of a great opening scene and an interesting first act.
GRADE - 14/100

13. The Boss Baby

Release Date: March 31
This is no 'Inside Out' or 'Wall-E', but it's cute enough and will entertain adults. Surprisingly not all that bad.
GRADE - 65/100

14. Rings

Release Date: February 1
And just when you thought that 'The Bye Bye Man' fed into the idea that horror movies released early in the year normally suck, here comes 'Rings' to demonstrate that you were absolutely right.
GRADE - 20/100

15. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

Release Date: May 5
What felt natural and fresh the first time, felt forced on the second run. The movie didn't even have a plot for about 45 minutes. It was a step down from the first, but it still offers great character moments, and fantastic action.
GRADE - 63/100

16. Alien: Covenant.

Release Date: May 19
The 'Alien' part of this movie was fantastic:gritty, dark, suspenseful, and exciting. The 'Prometheus' part just really brought the movie down. Beautiful film to look at regardless.
GRADE - 69/100

17. Colossal

Release Date: April 7
One of the most original films I've ever seen. Great character study, charming, intense, great performances and it takes complete advantage of it's extremely arresting concept.
GRADE - 89/100

Get Out was fantastic. Probably my favourite of the year so far.
That movie is much better than it had any right to be. I'm still impressed several months later

18. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell no Tales

Release Date: May 26
The pacing was such a huge problem. The movie had a few exciting moments and a great third act but it was really hard to get invested in those great moments because everything that came before it was sooooo slow.
GRADE - 55/100

19. Wonder Woman

Release Date: June 2
Fantastic action sequences, the way they handled the character of Diana was perfect, I love the connection they pull off between the amazonians and humanity. Overall a fantastically directed comic-book film.
GRADE - 88/100

20. A Cure for Wellness

Release Date: February 16
This movie looks absolutely breathtaking. The horror elements are highly intriguing and I actually found this to be much better than a lot of the reviews. I highly recommend this, it is very independent and weird. Final act was a bust though.
GRADE - 75/100

21. It Comes at Night

Release Date: June 9
Great horror/thriller. Intense, slow, but well paced. The trailers make this movie seem like something entirely different so if you are going to watch go in blind. I think this is a great horror/survival film with excellent direction and performances.
GRADE - 85/100

22. The Belko Experiment

Release Date: June 15
This was an interesting concept that could've paved the way to some rich storytelling and some great social commentary on the worst parts of humanity. However, it just throws the potential away to deliver a semi-fun, thoughtless slasher film.
GRADE - 50/100