Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

Bryce Dallas Howard joining ‘The Twilight Saga: Eclipse’

Twilight:Eclipse
Wow, who would have thought Ritchie Cunningham's daughter would be so hot...

She is gorgeous, isn't she?

BTW, its not looking good for Wolf Man is it. Can't say I'm surpised, I've always had trouble seeing this becoming a really good film.

Jackie Chan's Karate Kid Remake to be Called 'Kung Fu Kid'

Last year it was announced that Columbia Pictures was remaking the 1984 classic Karate Kid with Jaden Smith set to star. In January, we announced that Jackie Chan had been cast as the lovable Mr. Miyagi, stepping in for Pat Morita. As far as I know, not a single person was excited by any of this news, but of course Sony is pushing forward with the production in hopes of convincing audiences later with marketing. Well, a good friends of ours dropped by with a tip recently letting us know that in a recent interview with Jackie Chan, he let slip that this remake is actually going to be called Kung Fu Kid, not Karate Kid.

"They don't want to call it Karate Kid any more," Chan said. "They want to call it The Kung Fu Kid." He quickly changed topics and unfortunately didn't add any more about as to why this change was being made. Our guess is that since this remake is a Chinese co-production and being shot in Beijing, it's much more relevant today to use kung fu as opposed to karate (which isn't as popular as it was back in the 80's) and also more appropriate considering karate actually has its historical roots in kung fu. As in, story updates and Chinese influence caused them to change the title to be more culturally relevant and accurate.

Source: FirstShowing.net

It's Official - Ridley Scott is Directing the Alien Prequel!

Variety is reporting that Ridley Scott is officially attached to return as the director of an Alien prequel being written by newcomer Jon Spaihts. Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free Production, who will also produce the film. The story is being setup to precede Ridley's 1979 film, but as for what exactly will take place, those details are being kept under wraps at the moment. Spaihts has been the "go-to-guy" in Hollywood for space thrillers (Passengers and Shadow 19), but his work hasn't hit the big screen yet. Let's hope it's good, because no one wants a repeat of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

Matt Damon talks Bourne 4

Back in April we heard that Universal were aiming for a Bourne 4 summer 2011 release and a draft of the script should be finished by June. Well it is now the end of July and according to Matt Damon they still don’t have a script.

From Sci-Fi Wire:

“I just saw [producer] Frank Marshall, and we were talking about it,” Damon said in a group interview today in Pasadena, Calif., where he was promoting his History Channel special The People Speak. “Then I’ve talked to [Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum director] Paul Greengrass quite a bit about that.”

During press rounds for Ultimatum, Damon and Greengrass joked that a fourth film would have to be called The Bourne Redundancy, because the character has already found his identity. For his part, Damon says he’s interested in reprising the action-hero role, but won’t commit before confirming the quality of the script.

“Oh yeah, we won’t do it unless it’s good,” Damon added. “Promise.”

The literary world was able to continue the Bourne series even after Ludlum’s death: Eric Van Lustbader wrote The Bourne Betrayal, The Bourne Deception, The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Sanction. “I didn’t read those,” Damon said.

Since a script is still a long way off, Damon has not had to hit the gym to get back into fighting shape. He will, when the time comes, if necessary, he said. “Not yet,” he said. “None us have kind of seen [a script] yet, and Paul’s still cutting a movie that we worked on, so we’ll get together and talk about it.”
George Nolfi has been hired to write the script, so he could be working on it as we speak. Aslong as they get things going during 2010 they should hit their 2011 spot.

Source: Filmonic

Universal talks The Wolfman delay. We will be getting a trailer soon!

Yesterday we heard that Universal had pushed The Wolfman’s release date back once again from November 6th 2009 to February 12th 2010, and there was talk that recent reshooting was to blame. However, Universal have now commented on why they decided to delay the hairy one, and revealed that we will be getting a trailer in a few weeks!

From ShockTillYouDrop:

I’ll start with the good stuff. You’re going to see a trailer sooner than later. Attached to Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds on August 21st, in fact.

I’ve spoken to my reps at Universal and have been informed the release shift had much to do with box office potential.

In its November 6th slot, the Joe Johnston film would have been going up against Disney’s A Christmas Carol, whereas in February it faces little competition (although The Cabin in the Woods opens one week earlier). Futhermore, from a marketing standpoint, Universal wanted to ensure all of the FX were complete so they could use them in the ad campaign.

Rob Marshall to direct Pirates of the Caribbean 4?

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 has been without a captain ever since trilogy director Gore Verbinski decided to focus on Bioshock. Last week we heard that Disney were planning on filming next year, so finding a new director has most likely been their top priority for a while. Well according to Variety they may have found one. He goes by the name of Rob Marshall and he is the director of Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha and upcoming musical Nine.

Disney is on the verge of putting Rob Marshall in as director of a fourth installment of “Pirates of the Caribbean,” a move that puts the film on track for a 2010 production start, with Johnny Depp back as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney have been meeting with a number of directors in recent weeks, because the studio wants to pull the “Pirates” film together and have Depp star in it before he does “The Lone Ranger” for the producer and the studio. While Marshall’s involvement wasn’t immediately confirmed, sources said things look good enough that the studio has begun casting new characters that will appear in the picture.

It is big business for Disney, as the “Pirates” trilogy grossed $2.6 billion worldwide with Verbinski at the helm. Sources say unless things break down at the last moment, Marshall will be steering the pirate vehicle’s next installment.
Disney have also said that for Pirates 4 they would “scale it down, because [they] can’t get bigger”, which is true. Not only was At Worlds End large in scale, it was also costly, so scaling down the action and replacing it with character and story (and non-musical numbers) would be better for them, and it would be something i’d welcome too. Hiring a director like Rob Marshall who isn’t really an action director gives us an idea where Disney are headed.

Also, the because it looks as if neither Orlando Bloom or Keira Knightley will be in it, there's a chance you may get some decent acting too.

You're right though, with a Rob Marshall on board, the scaling back of the production(s) and Bloom and Knightley departed, the new trilogy that they're talking about could be a lot better than what they've done so far.

Leaked Screenshots Of War Machine & Whiplash

These screen shots from Iron Man II were taken at Comic Con and give us a glimpse of some of the fantastic action and special effects we can expect from the second installment of Iron Man, including what appears to be our first glimpse of War Machine!

Source: Nerd Bastards via We Are Movie Geeks

Universal to Ressurect 'Jesus Christ Superstar'

After the success of the ABBA musical Mamma Mia!, Universal Pictures is keen on more musicals and is moving forward with a new film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic 70's musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" says Risky Biz Blog.

The original musical was first made into a film in 1973 by acclaimed director Norman Jewison and looks at the last few weeks of Jesus' life. Its omission of the resurrection, and its depiction of a conflicted and sympathetic African-American Judas Iscariot lead to controversy upon its initial release.

The new version, which Marc Platt will produce, will update the style for modern audiences. (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb is tipped to helm the new version but is not in active negotiations at present.

Source: Dark Horizons

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Looking forward to seeing Ironman 2 and Bourne 4, is there a need really?

New Updates from David Twohy on Another Riddick Movie

Last summer, Vin Diesel promised that we'd see more Chronicles of Riddick movies sometime in the near future. We didn't hear anything until this March, when Diesel spoke again about the status, saying that a third film was "underway" and he was just waiting on a new script from writer/director David Twohy. Well, good news Riddick fans, as ShockTillYouDrop finally caught up with Twohy (he's out promoting his latest film, A Perfect Getaway) and got an interesting update on Riddick from him. "The third movie would be more modestly-scaled and it would probably feel more like Pitch Black then Chronicles," he revealed.

As for whether or not we will actually see another Riddick movie anytime soon, it sounds like Twohy and Diesel are still trying to work out budgeting issues with Universal before moving forward. As he explains:

"I've sketched out two ideas for the next installment," Twohy explained. "Vin and I have decided on one approach of those two, and there's some interest at the studio level but it would be as a PG-13 film, and we don't want to do that anymore. That's one of the concessions we thought we made with 'Riddick' that we shouldn't have made. We also spent too much money and we were too ambitions, so yes, if we do go back to a third one, it will be focused again, hopefully again the same way that 'Pitch Black' was, and we'll spend less money doing it. We're just trying to figure out how much less we can do it for, because I don't think Vin is going to work for scale again."

Steven Spielberg is Directing a Remake of 'Harvey' Next

Last week it was reported Steven Spielberg was interested in directing a Matt Helm movie, although he still hadn't chosen what he would be directing next. Well, he has chosen his next project, and it's a contemporary adaptation of Mary Chase's play Harvey. The play is about a man and his friendship with an invisible, six-foot tall rabbit. 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks will co-produce the project. "I am very happy to be working again with my friend Tom Rothman who shepherded us through Minority Report, and with Elizabeth and Carla, who I'm looking forward to collaborating with." Spielberg said in a press release.

Harvey was previously adapted into a movie in 1950 with James Stewart. Novelist Jonathan Tropper has written the adaptation for the new version that Spielberg will direct. It's a wonderful play, as I was actually involved in a production of it years ago, but it's not at all anything I'd imagine someone like Spielberg would be interested in. No casting is in place yet, but pre-production is to begin immediately, with filming set to begin after the first of the year.

Katie Holmes Offered Role in 'Sex And The City 2'

Katie Holmes is on her way to being miscast again. In Batman Begins she was miscast as a take no prisoners attorney and she played the part as if she were some sort of helpless, shrinking violet. Now she’s been approached to play another type-A personality in Sex and the City 2.

TVNZ
claims she’s been offered the part of a “ballsy, high-powered” New York business executive who crosses swords with Samantha. I have a hard time picturing Samantha battling it out in the world of high finance, so I’m imagining them fighting over the same man. Because that's all women really want. Men. Snark indicated.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Cynthia Nixon, Kristin Davis, and Mr. Big Chris Noth are all back for the follow up to the wildly successful 2008 Sex and the City film which hits theaters May 28, 2010. No concrete word yet on what it’ll be about.

Source: Cinema Blend

Looking forward to seeing Ironman 2 and Bourne 4, is there a need really?
Damon has promised that he'll only do Bourne 4 with a decent and original script. That doesn't mean anything, of course, but at least there's hope for you.

Avatar’s 3D team to work on Resident Evil: Afterlife

Around two weeks ago we heard that Paul W.S. Anderson would be returning to direct Resident Evil: Afterlife and that filming was planned for September this year. What was not revealed, however, is that it will be in 3D. Milla Jovovich told ShockTillYouDrop that little nugget of info during an interview today:

“There’s a great script and it’s going to be pretty wild. It’s going to be in 3D,” she said diplomatically. “They figured out a lot of stuff. We start shooting in September, they’ve got it all figured out at this point.”

Anderson has really been getting prepared to make his return to directing the franchise since the first movie, especially with the 3D factor being added to the equation. “He’s been really studying it and seeing all the different things they have and watching every 3D movie ever made pretty much,” Milla told us. “Especially for a movie like this, because it’s wild and a lot of action and a lot of potential for 3D to use the medium at its best. Paul has been going to every 3D company and he’s now signed a deal to go with Jim Cameron’s 3D company–they did ‘Avatar’–It should be pretty interesting. I’ve never actually seen a 3D movie.”
James Cameron and his company spent years developing “3D virtual cameras which would produce stereoscopic 3D images simulating human sight” for Avatar, and the technology is supposed to bring 3D out of the ‘kid movie gimmick’ phase and revolutionize movies forever. That’s what we’ve been told anyway. We’ll have to wait till December to see if the technology achieves that, but with more and more movies being filmed in 3D it looks like we’ll be seeing more of it in the future anyhow.

When will we next see The Hulk on-screen?

In 2012 there’s a superhero party and everyone’s invited. Well almost everyone anyway. Last week producer Kevin Feige revealed that The Avengers line-up will consist of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Nick Fury. We may also see appearances from some members of the Hulk universe and Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow. But who are these Hulk universe people? And what about The Hulk himself? Well Edward Norton was recently asked if The Hulk was in his future and he responded with:

“I probably won’t comment on that just because they keep a pretty tight rein on what they are letting out,” Norton said in a group interview today.

Deferring to Marvel suggests a cordial relationship with the studio. Rumors surrounded the release of The Incredible Hulk that Norton was not happy with the final cut. Already he seemed an unusual participant in a major superhero movie, and the scant press he did fueled rumors that he preferred an alternate cut of the film. Now he is suggesting that he’s following company orders.

“I’ll let them [address it],” Norton said.

NuketheFridge
are reporting that we could see be seeing Bruce Banner in Iron Man 2:

Our Marvel Movie mole has informed Nuke The Fridge of yet another cameo in the upcoming “Iron Man 2” film due out next summer. Our confidential source first reported that Stan Lee will make a brief appearance in the second Iron Man film as Larry King. Now rumor has it that Edward Norton will have a possible cameo as both Bruce Banner and the Hulk.
This should be taken with a pinch of salt and if it is true we probably won’t know until Iron Man 2 is released next May. However, Robert Downey Jr. did appear in The Incredible Hulk in a scene after the credits, so maybe Marvel want Edward Norton to return the favour?

If Edward Norton and The Hulk do appear in Iron Man 2 then it could mean The Hulk may be attending the superhero party after all. And who wouldn’t want to see The Hulk in The Avengers?