I am going to watch at least one film from each country in 2018...

Tools    

KINJI FUKASAKU / JAPAN
BATTLE ROYALE
バトルロワイアル

I am glad that I finally got around to watching this film properly - especially since it had been sitting among my blu-ray collection for quite some time. Battle Royale is a violent film, and although the violence was one of the main selling points of this film for me, it delivers far more than this alone. Its soundtrack and unsettling character design also contribute to what a great (but disturing) film that it is.

upload image
highly recommended from my home country, lebanon.
At Venice, Kamel El Basha won the Volpi Cup for Best Actor.[2] It was selected as the Lebanese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards,[3][4] making the December shortlist.[5]

Unregistered User
Some good Irish that I don't think have been mentioned. Again, depends on how you define Irish.

The Young Offenders (2016)
The Boxer (1997)
Bloody Sunday (2002)
Good Vibrations (2012)
Michael Collins (1996)
My Left Foot (1989)
Sing Street (2016)
71 (2014)

TOMAS ALFREDSON / SWEDEN
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
Låt den rätte komma in

A vampire film which focuses on character over anything else, with wonderful cinematography and music. The special effects in this film are pretty impressive too, especially the practical stuff. The film's two main characters, Oska and Eli, are super likable and watching their relationship develop was certainly interesting - although quite strange. A great watch.

TOMAS ALFREDSON / SWEDEN
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
Låt den rätte komma in

A vampire film which focuses on character over anything else, with wonderful cinematography and music. The special effects in this film are pretty impressive too, especially the practical stuff. The film's two main characters, Oska and Eli, are super likable and watching their relationship develop was certainly interesting - although quite strange. A great watch.

I can wholeheartedly agree. I watched it some years ago and it is fantastic. There is an American remake with Cloe Grace Morenz (sp?) that is almost scene for scene, word for word the original, but watch the original. It is worth the viewing.

Also, if you need a film from Norway, I can highly recommend Dead Snow:

It is a lot of fun. What could be more evil than Zombies? Nazi Zombies!!!

Also, if you need a film from Norway, I can highly recommend Dead Snow:

It is a lot of fun. What could be more evil than Zombies? Nazi Zombies!!!
Already seen this one. It's a fun film though! Thanks.

Currently finding it hard to find films from some smaller countries. What would you guys stay defines a film by country?

Say I can only find some films with a director from that country and set in that country but there are no films from that country that have been funded by said country?

Also any tips for finding films beyond Wikipedia and IMDb?

Currently finding it hard to find films from some smaller countries. What would you guys stay defines a film by country?

Say I can only find some films with a director from that country and set in that country but there are no films from that country that have been funded by said country?

Also any tips for finding films beyond Wikipedia and IMDb?
For which countries do you still need films? The users might be able to make suggestions and help directly if you are more specific. I would love the challenge of finding movies from obscure countries.

For which countries do you still need films? The users might be able to make suggestions and help directly if you are more specific. I would love the challenge of finding movies from obscure countries.
I haven't looked super hard as of yet. I am finding a lot of films with directors and actors from a single country but often funded by American production companies and I am not sure how much I could agree that they are then eligible for a challenge like this? Unless that is literally the closest I can get?

I would love to see what others think.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Ireland. Top=Best. Bottom=Least best.

Are all those movies made in Ireland, by Irish film makers?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Planning on watching Mad Max tonight and I have some ideas for a Chinese and an Israeli film possibly coming up soon.

An excellent recommendation for a Ugandan film is Who Killed Captain Alex? (2010).

A hilarious and super fun action film with a ton of heart. You can watch it for free on YouTube and it's only about an hour long.

GEORGE MILLER / AUSTRALIA
MAD MAX
& MAD MAX 2

I throughougly enjoyed both of these films but I thought that the second film was the better of the two. I enjoyed the distopian setting - it reminds me of the settings of some videogames that I have played in the past such as in the Fallout gamesandin Rage. Both films have likable characters (heroes, villains and everything in between). Both are very fun and I plan to watch the other additions to the franchise soon!

Mad Max

Mad Max 2

ARI FOLMAN / ISRAEL
WALTZ WITH BASHIR

Waltz with Bashir is a fantastic animated film with a superb art-style and I haven't seen many animated films that successfully tell such harrowing stories. As the film progresses we start to learn more about Folman's actions - and the actions of others - during his time fighting as an Isreali soldier in the 1982 Lebanon War. We start to discover these things as he starts to remember them - this is the main premise of the narrative of the film. However, although the film has a contextual focus on the war, it was learning more about Folman as a real human being, his emotions, and thoughts, during a very real conflict of great proportion was something truly, very wonderful.

VICTOR ERICE / SPAIN
THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE

Erice's debut feature is a wonderful art film full of allegory, great characters and stunning cinematography. I really enjoyed this film and I feel that there is more to it that I could discover upon a re-visit!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I haven't looked super hard as of yet. I am finding a lot of films with directors and actors from a single country but often funded by American production companies and I am not sure how much I could agree that they are then eligible for a challenge like this? Unless that is literally the closest I can get?

I would love to see what others think.
I really struggled with this but I've decided it's where the majority of creative control comes from rather than $$$. I mean take crowd funding for example. The money comes from all overthe globe, And that's probably too difficult to find out. Just go with your gut instinct. If you're wrong, well it's a movie you've seen so that's still good.

And yes, Dead Snow was a really fun movie.