Luis' thoughts on 2017 theatrical releases

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I am too, but I still give tough ratings - I'm not jaded, I'm just an old fart.
I may not rate things too roughly, but hell are the ratings very specific. I can never round!

70. Darkest Hour

Release Date: November 22

Allow me to say the same thing everybody has been saying, Gary Oldman was incredible in this, I can't see a world were he doesn't win the Oscar for Best Lead Actor; I don't know if the film would even be half as good without him. As a political drama, this did a better job than most at keeping me glued the entire way through. It may be the fantastic cinematography with exceptional lighting techniques, or the very intriguing historical atmosphere used to propel the story forward, or it may just be all thanks to Gary Oldman's electrifying performance. It's been a week since I've seen this film, and I can't really think of any flaws. So even though I didn't have a personal connection, I really appreciate the craftsmanship of this feature.

SCORE - 80/100

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yes, G-Oldman was the movie. I dont think I've ever been so captivated by one actor in a film.

71. The Babysitter

Release Date: October 13

I thought this was great! I enjoyed myself quite a bit watching this film. It does a better job than most at blending horror with character humor, and there were a couple of instances I actually laughed out loud. I also really liked all of the characters, the directing was so tight it allowed every character to get their moment. The premise is also very fun, it's reminiscent of some of the 80s slasher films were you could really just sit back, and really enjoy yourself. The dialogue is very effective as well for the comedic undertones in this film, some lines I thought were very funny, even clever sometimes. Very charming, highly recommend it.

SCORE - 85/100