Songs that send literal shivers down your spine.

Tools    

I was on a big Meat Loaf / Jim Steinman kick when I first got into music albums. Jim Steinman wrote all the songs for this unfortunately unsuccessful pop rock album. Many of the songs would appear on other Steinman projects, including Meat Loaf albums, Dance of the Vampires, and Bat Out of Hell: The Musical.

But this song... it just really gets to me by the end because that epic vibe is so powerful.

I was on a big Meat Loaf / Jim Steinman kick when I first got into music albums.
Steinman is, in my opinion, like a Zack Snyder of rock music: I mostly like what he has to offer, but at times it feels like he's offering it too much at a time (i.e. the songs tend to be longer than they need to be just like Snyders's films). He's not the most diverse songwriter, but he surely knows how to do his stuff.

For me, the first fitting song that comes to mind is:

Weakened by winter is one of those songs for me.

I'm a Michigander and having had a father-in-law (passed in '08) and a couple of friends who labored upon the boats. "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot kills me every single time.

No sung words here, but this '69 verion of one of many recordings of Buddy Rich's big band's West Side Story medley will get you going.

Rich's solo is one of the greatest displays of drumming technique and strength that you'll ever see-- and he did it routinely for decades. He could do more with 3 or 4 drums than most of us could with 10 or more!

This will get y'all warmed up for Scorsese's upcoming movie of the same name.