Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Right, but you acknowledge that the satire is broad and glib by design, which I find the opposite of brilliant. At this point I'm quibbling with definitions, but I also hopelessly associate the movie with a lot of obnoxious interneting, so you'll forgive my irrationality here.

I will concede that to the extent that the movie does slap (as the kids say), it's thanks to Fincher's technical finesse. But the movie did not slap me.
I rarely find subtext in and of itself to be “brilliant,” but find the exploration of that subtext to be what sets it apart. For instance, There Will Be Blood at its core is about the nature of greed. Well worn territory but it explores it in a fashion I find supremely satisfying.*

Gone Girl explores themes that I’ve not QUITE seen explored in film and does so with such reckless abandon that by the time they’re parodying Gone With The Wind, I’m ready to exclaim it as “brilliant!”

That said, the discourse around this film and Fight Club is often toxic, reactionary and silly in that people bring in a perspective that is antithetical to what the film is critiquing (anyone looking at the titular “Girl” as something heroic or “girl boss” is missing the point like the teen guys that started Fight Clubs). But art is not its audience. If it were, I would probably hate most films.*

Fincher is just too damn fine of filmmaker for me to let dumb reactions spoil me.

Victim of The Night
Me too! It's one of my favorite '50s horror movies. It felt so rational. I still enjoy it.

I knew it was one of Edmund Gwenn's last roles, but I'd forgotten that he did The Trouble With Harry after this one.

Remember in Foreign Correspondent (1940) when Gwenn tries to push Joel McCrea off the top of Westminster Cathedral? Great movie.
I remember him from tTwH but I haven't seen FC in probably 30 years.

Victim of The Night
[/left]

Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins - The premise is about the only thing this has in common with HftW. The cast is certainly respectable with the always intriguing Alan Arkin starring as retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant Rafferty. He's an aimless and alcoholic Los Angeles driving instructor who meets two hitchhikers while drinking his lunch in a park. McKinley "Mac" Beachwood (Sally Kellerman) is an aspiring singer and her young friend Rita "Frisbee" Sykes (McKenzie Phillips) is a surly and unapologetic con artist. They're on their way to New Orleans where Mac supposedly will get a job singing in Frisbee's dads bar. That's the story they tell Gunny Rafferty until Frisbee pulls a gun and forces him to drive them there. He has no trouble getting away from them but since his old life was an unrelenting pit of despair he doubles back and picks them up again. From there it turns into a road movie with stops including Las Vegas and Tucson. There are welcome appearances by Alex Rocco as a flaky Vegas hustler named Vinnie, Charles Martin as a lovelorn soldier and Harry Dean Stanton as one of Mac's former suitors.

To me it's an archetypal 70's flick having been released in 1975. But it also has that slightly disheveled, shaggy dog story feel to it that so many films from that era had. I want to like it more than I did because I love 70's movies but I'll have to admit it has limits to it's world building potential and it reaches those limits quickly. But even though it really doesn't have much of a story to tell, the cast makes it worth your while.

I have had a brutal case of The Hots for Sally Kellerman for about 34 years. That is all.

Victim of The Night
I was waiting to see how many wokesters would chime in to diss a 20th Century actor and role with 21st Century fashionable notions. Only two. Not as bad as I'd thought...
Well, I'm "Woke As ****", as they say, but even I can understand that many things are products of their time. Doesn't make them good, but there is context that has to be considered before just judging everybody connected in any way.

Well, I'm "Woke As ****", as they say, but even I can understand that many things are products of their time. Doesn't make them good, but there is context that has to be considered before just judging everybody connected in any way.
Look at these wokesters from 1961 that took me all of two seconds to find:

https://variety.com/1961/film/news/f...ys-1201341653/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-movie-737095/

Way to jump the gun, guys! Everyone knows finding egregious stereotypes and yellow face ill advised only started last year!!! Get. With. The. Program.

Deathtrap 1982 Sidney Lumet

Much better than 'Clue' and in the league of 'Sleuth', a highly entertaining who-dunnit/who'll-do-it.
Starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve.
+

Jezz. They're now flying Pontiac Fiero's to space to destroy satellites. Forget physics, this guys got family. If you asked Matt and Trey to make the most ridiculous script they could manage they wouldn't got near these jackasses. They're sucking this fat titty until it dries, but the titty seems to be endless.

Jezz. They're now flying Pontiac Fiero's to space to destroy satellites. Forget physics, this guys got family. If you asked Matt and Trey to make the most ridiculous script they could manage they wouldn't got near these jackasses. They're sucking this fat titty until it dries, but the titty seems to be endless.
to me i loved the movie and glad they making number 10 but i wish they would stopped after paul walker death

Left Behind, 2000 (B)

Kirk Cameron plays a journalist reporting about a miraculous crop formula in Israel, right before an attack that is immediately defeated. The movie then follows his investigation into what no one apparently realises is the rapture.

So first off, this is not a well made movie. The actors aren't great, there's an almost entirely useless B-plot with a pilot that could have been nuked with no consequences, and the music is overdramatic every time it's on. It's definitely a movie that's carried by its scope and concepts. I've heard some stupid things about the sequels, so I might not watch them at all. There's definitely something to enjoy here if you're a fan of those grand, globe-trotting investigation/conspiracy type of thing. Sort of like Tomb Raider, but without the action.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
男はつらいよ お帰り 寅さん [Tora-san, Wish You Were Here] (2019) -

It took me almost 4 months to watch this longest-in-the-world film series spanning over 50 films and 50 years. Long story short, Tora-san is an oddball itinerant peddler who travels all around Japan. He has a family in Shibamata, Tokyo, which consists of his sister Sakura, nephew Mitsuo, his Uncle, and Aunt. However, he rarely ever visits his family and lives a free life of a wanderer. Every film has a so-called Madonna, a beautiful lady Tora-san falls in love with and is inevitably dumped by at the end. Sometimes he is not dumped but runs away after finding out the girl actually reciprocates his love. He's well-known as that guy who never got married.

Yoji Yamada's handling of the series is nothing short of amazing. He co-wrote the films, too, making sure the seemingly repetitious premise is never dull or boring. Some films are better and some worse but they never get below the high standard of Yamada's filmmaking. All in all, the series is excellent, and even though it could have been better, it's hard to demand that since Yamada still managed to keep the quality high in every film, often making two of them a year.

Tora-san, Wish You Were Here is the fiftieth (SIC!) installment in the series and most probably the last one. It combines new footage with scenes from the old movies in the form of Mitsuo's memories of Tora-san and his first love Izumi. Yamada is superhuman to release the fiftieth installment 24 years after the forty-ninth one with 10 actors from the original cast reprising their roles. Sakura, a young woman of 28 in the first installment is now a grandma of 77. You could literally see two-thirds of her life in these films. Just seeing these people, young then, old now, brings tears to my eyes. This is why long-spanning film series is superior to TV series. Time is a congruent ingredient in the first case. And no, digital (de-)aging is not the same thing and please can we stop using it?

The next part of my write-up is full of spoilers of the film, so you can stop reading if you think you will ever watch the series (it really makes no sense to just watch the final 50th film and ignore 49 other parts).

WARNING: "Tora-san series" spoilers below
So after all Mitsuo and Izumi did NOT end up together. I will never forgive you, Yamada. ;_;

I do get what Yamada wanted to say with this film but I really hoped Mitsuo will finally get together with Izumi. Yamada teased me with this possibility by first making Mitsuo's wife die 6 years prior to the time the movie takes place and then making Mitsuo reveal to Izumi that his wife is dead next to the end of the film. Izumi kissed him... and that's it. She didn't reveal she's divorced or that her husband also died, or that she lied to him about getting married, or anything else that would make it possible for them to stay together. Why not?! Maybe it's kinda juvenile but I hate that! I'd been waiting for their wedding since the first film Izumi appeared and now have to be satisfied with the idea that even though they both love each other, life is a bitch and they can't be together. Thanks, Yamada but I don't need films about what I'm living in my life.

In the end, Mitsuo lost his first love, and can't get her back because it's too late. He also lost his wife to an illness. Moreover, he also lost his dear uncle Tora-san whom he remembers from time to time and holds in great esteem. It's never explicitly stated that Tora-san died in the film's world but it's obvious the film is a tribute to the series and Kiyoshi Atsumi, the actor who played Tora and died of cancer in the 90s. At the end of the movie, Mitsuo sits alone in a dark room while a montage of all Madonnas in the series plays out to a great emotional effect. Mitsuo's only happiness is his daughter now. This is one of the darker shades of mono no aware.

The key to the movie (and even the entire series) lies in the question that Mitsuo posed to Tora-san in one of the earlier films (many bits of old footage are played again in Wish You Were Here). The question roughly states "What's the meaning of life?", and Tora's answer is (again, roughly): "Life's about all these little moments that make it worth living". Tora died unmarried but had some beautiful things happen to him in his life, and at least he was loved by Lily and Sakura and also loved many women. Mitsuo's entire happiness seems to stem from Izumi, though. Maybe it's because we never see his deceased wife (apart from a picture at the altar) and don't learn her story. Sure, he loves his daughter, but even the daughter seems to cheer him up saying she's OK with him remarrying. Mitsuo seems really disillusioned at the end of the film. He'll probably marry his daughter's English teacher (because his daughter likes her) and continue being unhappy dreaming and thinking about Izumi. Sure, Yamada may make part 51, which would be infinitely badass because he's 90 now, but I don't think he will. I guess the Tora series is concluded now. Mitsuo's character gave me these geisha from Ornamental Hairpin feels. Although he was just sitting at home and crying, he really seemed to have been walking up the stairs, holding an umbrella, and looking back into the past.

We're all standing on these stairs, heading onto the unfamiliar future, and, unsure and full of grief, taking this last look at our past, knowing it's irreversible. But our small dramas mean nothing compared to all the grief in the world, which Yamada seems to signal by showing all these pictures of Syrian refugees.

Blah blah blah BUT I WANT MY FILMS TO HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

THE GREAT BEAUTY

A fitting title and homage to LA DOLCE VITA. Gorgeous and heatfelt existentialism that captured both the empty extravagance that defined Fellini’s film but combined it with a poignant sentimentality of growing old and feeling dissatisfied, as if Sorrentino had slipped in a touch of Bergman’s Wild Strawberries.

Wonderful.

”Greenland” - 8/10

Far superior to “Armeggedon” or “Deep Impact”. Felt this one took it to a believable level, given the subject matter. If I had a top disaster film list, this would be on it.
I agree. Here's some commentary from awhile back:

Greenland
(2020)

It's been awhile since I've watched a disaster film, and this movie turned out to be a good one.

Disaster films are tricky because they end up tending to be either unbelievable, or too schmaltzy. This one stays fairly close to what people imagine a cataclysmic comet impact might look like. And although they have the family of three dip into the emotional goo a few times, they pull up before the viewer gets sick of it.

As with most disaster films there's not much to the plot, so they must portray plenty of tension, thrills, and dread. A skyscraper foreman, John Garrity (Gerald Butler), comes home early one day to soon find out that there are mentions of a comet coming near Earth, but that it'll likely miss. Later of course the comet --which now is in several pieces-- is calculated to hit earth after all.

To the dismay of his friends and neighbors, John, his wife (Morena Baccarin), and son (Roger Floyd) have been among the chosen for relocation to a shelter in Greenland, because of John's skills. What happens between that time and to the point they make the perilous quest to Greenland makes up the entire narrative. The boy has insulin dependent diabetes, so that adds to the drama.

To the credit of excellent production design, special effects, and first rate photography the film really holds one's interest throughout. The man and wife do have good chemistry despite a slow start.

If you're a fan of good PG-13 action/thriller pictures, this one is for you. Available on Amazon, HBO (I think), and various streaming services. Doc's rating: 7/10

Victim of The Night

Much better than 'Clue' and in the league of 'Sleuth', a highly entertaining who-dunnit/who'll-do-it.
+
I'm a pretty big fan. Wish Reeve had gotten to do more like this.

+

This movie was amazing...I rated it the same you did. Reeve is a revelation here.

I have had a brutal case of The Hots for Sally Kellerman for about 34 years. That is all.
She went without makeup for this and still looked hot.

Aye, I see what you mean. With that being said though, while you could make the argument that Philip doesn't take the movie that seriously given how he reacts to most of what goes on in the film with wisecracks, by making jokes, or by playing the harmonica in the end as you mention, I think there's plenty of moments where the characters around him take the movie seriously, especially with Roger and Eileen. Really, I think the scene is Augustine's mansion where everyone takes their clothes off is the only main scene where the film dips into a completely satirical tone (not just with Philip, but with those around him), so I do think the viewer is asked to take the movie seriously since (for the most part) the secondary characters do. I think it's mainly just Philip who doesn't.
Yeah, but it's a sort of a matter of "quality over quantity" for me, in a manner of speaking; you can have every other single character in the film take the story as seriously as possible, but the tone of the film will still feel conflicted because Marlowe doesn't take it very seriously, and since he's the main character (and one that appears in every single scene, if memory serves me correctly), he's the one we're most likely to identity with and take our cues on how to respond to the film from, since he's the biggest "lens" we see the story through. I mean, just try to imagine how dramatically different the tone of Chinatown would've been if everything else had been exactly the same, but Jake reacted to the central conspiracy and its repurcussions with the same attitude as Gould's Marlowe; the entire film would come off as a radically different experience, wouldn't it?