25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

American Movie (1999)
Directed By: Chris Smith
Starring: Mark Borchardt, Mike Schank, Bill Borchardt

As someone who has a general disinterest in documentaries, but often enjoys looking at the behind-the-scenes aspects of film production, I was curious if I'd find American Movie compelling or agonizing. After a false start a few weeks ago, I knew I had to wait until I was in the right mood to watch it. With a more open mind, I did manage to sit through the entire film in one sitting, and the experience ultimately ended up being a mixed bag.

Neither Mark Borchardt nor any of the friends and family members he was attempting to make a feature film with had any screen presence for me. None of them were particularly good at talking to the camera, and the lazy cadence they generally spoke with made it hard for me to pay attention to them. Borchardt seemed far too full of himself, and refused to face the fact that he had unrealistic expectations for his project.

But not long in, I started to find the whole group strangely compelling. This carried on through a large chunk of the film, and while I still didn't like Borchardt, I did find his determination admirable. The runtime did however seem to drag, and I found my interest waning significantly until it started showing shots from Coven near the end. I enjoyed how brutally honest American Movie was about the realities of trying to make a film on a low budget, but overall I didn't find it particularly engaging.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	American.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	78194  

Check that out if you think Borchardt is full of himself.
Only watched a small part of that, and have no desire to watch the rest. But feel free to provide timestamps if there's something interesting/important, and I'll watch those parts.

From what little I saw, he certainly does seem quite chill there. However it doesn't change the fact that when the cameras were on him for American Movie, he was quite boisterous about his own ability. Maybe his attitude has changed over time, or perhaps the film makers intentionally framed him that way. If the latter is true, I'd have doubts about what the film's intentions were. Though unless someone has proof of that, I'll just assume he's grown wiser with age.

Only watched a small part of that, and have no desire to watch the rest. But feel free to provide timestamps if there's something interesting/important, and I'll watch those parts.

From what little I saw, he certainly does seem quite chill there. However it doesn't change the fact that when the cameras were on him for American Movie, he was quite boisterous about his own ability. Maybe his attitude has changed over time, or perhaps the film makers intentionally framed him that way. If the latter is true, I'd have doubts about what the film's intentions were. Though unless someone has proof of that, I'll just assume he's grown wiser with age.
No, I’m actually agreeing with you. He definitely thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. He is very condescending to the interviewer at times. I found it amusing. He’s definitely chill but that’s two different things we are talking about.

I’m not saying he hasn’t watched the movies he talks about in the video, he probably has. However, if someone told me he hadn’t it wouldn’t be hard to believe because he really hardly talks about the movies at all. He just gives a history of the time period and where that fits in the context of film history. He come across as a blow hard. It’s quite entertaining.

No, I’m actually agreeing with you. He definitely thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. He is very condescending to the interviewer at times. I found it amusing. He’s definitely chill but that’s two different things we are talking about.
He didn't seem so bad in the part I watched. Now I'm glad I didn't watch all of it haha.

The Truth 'La Vérité' (1960)
Henri-Georges Clouzot

It's criminal I tell ya! Just totally insane and all together unfathomable that I've never seen a Brigitte Bardot film before... Sure I've heard her name ever since I was a kid in school. Everyone knows the name Brigitte Bardot, so why haven't I seen her in anything until now.

I gotta say she could act up a storm, at least in this film. I totally believed the emotions that she was pouring out of her and onto film. I was clearly on her side from the get-go even though she did seem troubled with a capital T. But you know what, that troubled character was very believable and grounded in reality. She was both self destructive and needy at the same time with an underlying resentment of her sister and mom. Believable stuff for sure.

Gawd! I hate that guy in the screenshot above. Sami Frey was the actor who played a very well done, ******* of a person! Sometime during the movie a subtitle came on that described Gilbert (Sami Frey) perfectly...

That made me think of the movie Whiplash and Andrew the guy who wanted to be the jazz drummer and was willing to screw over his girlfriend all for his own selfish purposes. I can't stand self absorbed, smug people like that and for some reason most people root for Andrew in Whiplash but he's the same type of ******* as Gilbert is. Funny how one film can make a person hate a character and in another film that same type of character is lifted up and people admire him for his dedication to music, even though in the process he hurts people. And hurting is what killed Brigitte.

Solid nom, glad it was nominated.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	001eb846.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	78214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-06-01 18-56-52.png
Views:	349
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	78216  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
VERY glad you enjoyed it, CR.
I felt the same way when I first stumbled across this and thought: Bardot?! FINALLY to see the person behind the famous name.
And she did a helluva job

I should say I think you do sympathize with Andrew at times with his relationship to Simmon’s character. I think he is quite the prick for a lot of the movie though. I think part of his arc is that he could be Simmons at some point in his life.

Gilbert isn’t the fleshed out character Andrew is, so we don’t see any nuance really. Although I don’t really have a problem with him commitment to his craft. Bardot’s character is the only be with nuance in The Truth.

It’s the difference between a protagonist with an arc and a side character.

I don’t think everyone roots for Andrew. He’s for sure a flawed character. What makes you say that Citizen?
Just seemed that way to me...

But good question Sean, so:Fellow MoFo's did you root for Andrew and/or see him as a root-able character in Whiplash???

I should say I think you do sympathize with Andrew at times with his relationship to Simmon’s character. I think he is quite the prick for a lot of the movie though. I think part of his arc is that he could be Simmons at some point in his life.
Agreed on both points. Though when I watched Whiplash it didn't dawn on me that we were perhaps seeing Andrew as a younger version of Simmons and that Andrew later on would be more like Simmons. It was only when I was watching Gilbert in The Truth did I start to think of Andrew in such a negative way. It was like Andrew morphed into Gilbert, which makes no sense! I blame Brigitte Bardot's utter charm for that

VERY glad you enjoyed it, CR.
I felt the same way when I first stumbled across this and thought: Bardot?! FINALLY to see the person behind the famous name.
And she did a helluva job
We need more Bardot in this HoFs

Concerning Andrew in Whiplash, is it problematic for the main character of a film to be unlikable? And if so, what about movies with murderers as the main protagonists, like Goodfellas, Le Samourai, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, etc? The protagonists in those films have much worse morals than Andrew. Personally, I don't think movies need to have a moral barometer to count as good/great films. My personal beliefs and what I consider to be good/great art are entirely different things. I can watch and love all the thematic aspects of something like Whiplash while still recognizing that the main character isn't that noble.

Concerning Andrew in Whiplash, is it problematic for the main character of a film to be unlikable? And if so, what about movies with murderers as the main protagonists, like Goodfellas, Le Samourai, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, etc? The protagonists in those films have much worse morals than Andrew. Personally, I don't think movies need to have a moral barometer to count as good/great films. My personal beliefs and what I consider to be good/great art are entirely different things. I can watch and love all the thematic aspects of something like Whiplash while still recognizing that the main character isn't that noble.
For a lot of people (it seems) the character needs to be relatable and root-able. But not me, I often like movies with flawed and unlikable characters. I actually like Simmons in Whiplash thanks to the actor, I mean he has lots of gravitas. Of course his actions are unlikable while the actor himself is likable.

For a lot of people (it seems) the character needs to be relatable and root-able. But not me, I often like movies with flawed and unlikable characters. I actually like Simmons in Whiplash thanks to the actor, I mean he has lots of gravitas. Of course his actions are unlikable while the actor himself is likable.
Okay, gotcha.

Have you seen Contempt CR?
Nope, The Truth was the first of Bardot I've seen.
I loved it so I've considered nominating it before. I just don't think it would be a popular pick. Then again, it's not like I know how to pick them.