Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Ironically, the number of things I have read defending the first one forced me into actually thinking through the first one, and at this point the mechanics are what I most see with it. The defense of the film should just be, "Don't think to much about it!". Because I have yet to have anyone convince me why these people didn't create a noise machine to desensitize the creatures or just live at the dang waterfall. Or why the film itself couldn't be bothered to handwave away those things.
Yeah, I'm with you.
I've read so many people trying to defend the "logic" of the film and it doesn't hold up not even for a couple minutes.
So, as you say, the way to enjoy this movie is simply "Don't think about it." Enjoy what it is as much as you can (although I was not really able to fully enjoy it by the end because the poor logic is so in your face) and be content with the feel of the movie, the good actors, the parts where it does seem to work.
That's the best you can do, IMO.

Victim of The Night
It’s the type of film that makes you recognize the value of the old exposition man. “These things hunt by hearing but they don’t seem to hear no better than you or me less them meaty parts are showing. I’ve seen folks shoot at em but they slam shut faster gator closes it’s mouth.” It’s that kind of stuff that is irksome when present but when no attempt at all, you realize how contrived and flimsy the house of cards is. A “you don’t wanna live anywhere that’s loud. It may hide you for a while but they’ll get curious. Then they swarm.” here or there would help a lot. This is why fish out of water stories usually help (or telling it from the beginning.)

Otherwise, you have to think of classy ways to hint why these things are happening and they don’t really provide enough, even by the sequel which adds another element of “but why” to protect themselves.

But, I’m far from a plausible. Emotional and dramatic integrity matters more than logic, as does craft, and these films have that in spades.

But boy would a stranger they stumble across that tells them what not to do have alleviated some frustration.
Or maybe one of those painfully obvious newspaper headlines could have said, "All The World's Combined Scientitsts And Militaries Completely Flummoxed By How To Stop An Animal With Very Sensitive Hearing, Despite The Technology To Do So Already Existing And Even The Audience Being Able To Figure It Out Pretty Quickly. Film At Eleven!"

Rocco and His Brothers (1960)

I wanted to watch this back for the 60's countdown but I couldn't find it. Fortunately it is now on YouTube. I didn't know anything about it, just that it was highly acclaimed. I've generally struggled with Italian films except for trashy 70's horror and crime. This is one of the best I've seen. It's 3 hours long and that was just fine. The first half was a slice of life and then the real drama would start with a scene that shocked me. Later on there would be another. I spent over an hour being enraged. The film looked just right and the performances were spot on. I believed in what I was watching. Great stuff.

Transsiberian (2008)

This is a surprisingly engaging thriller which we watched not realizing that we had seen it years back. Still, remembering little of it, it almost seemed like a fresh watch.

Returning from a Christian mission in China, a couple (Emily Mortimer & Woody Harrelson) decide to take the lengthy Transsiberian Railroad to Moscow, rather than to fly. They eventually meet a couple (Kate Mara & Eduardo Noriega) who are assigned to share their sleeping room on the train. Later Ginko (Ben Kingsley) enters the drama as a Russian drug detective.

Drug smuggling instantly becomes the focus of suspense, and a cadre of classic Russian dolls that fit inside each other (matryoshka) soon become the MacGuffin.

Deception, intrigue, and thrills gradually steer the film, and the viewer is intrigued by wondering which are the bad guys, and whom do they represent?

The entire cast is at the top of their forms. Even Harrelson, who plays an aw shucks type of genuine guy with high morals seems natural. Intrigue set on trains is nothing new, but this production directed by Brad Anderson (The Man in the High Castle) and photographed by Xavi Gemenez (The Machinist) brings a fresh look at the style while managing to captivate and thrill us.

Doc's rating: 8/10
It's been a while but I remember that having a scene that was absolutely stomach turning.

It's been a while but I remember that having a scene that was absolutely stomach turning.
Not sure. You may be remembering the video of torturing Abby. I don't like that kind of thing, and I usually fast forward through it; but that scene from 2008 pales in comparison to some of the sick stuff they show in current cinema.

Not sure. You may be remembering the video of torturing Abby. I don't like that kind of thing, and I usually fast forward through it; but that scene from 2008 pales in comparison to some of the sick stuff they show in current cinema.
I watch all that sick stuff and I still thought it was pretty tough. Part of that comes from it being unexpected in a decent and well made film.

DUCK SOUP
(1933, McCarey)
Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
Nice review! Here's my commentary from '19. That's 2019...:

Duck Soup(1933)

It’s difficult to overstate the effect that the Marx Brothers in general, and Duck Soup in specific, had in the history of comedy films. They had already well established their wacky and zany antics and harebrained plots in their previous six films (the first, Humor Risk, was never released). But with this picture they added off-beat, eccentric, and bizarre plots and situations --the kind of films that are represented today by Wes Anderson, the Coen Brothers, and the like-- which was uncommon in the 1930s and that really never took hold for several decades.

It’s likely that this embellishment in their established style was due to the addition of Herman Mankiewicz as producer and uncredited writer. Mankiewicz had produced and co-written W.C. Fields’ Million Dollar Legs the year before, which had very similar themes: a dysfunctional fictional tiny country is in need of help by outside folks (“Klopsokia” vs. “Freedonia”). The absurdist comedy in both films is fresh, riotous, and memorable, and rank as my personal favorites from each artist respectively.

There were several other differences. This was the last film to feature Zeppo, the 4thMarx brother.

He usually played a romantic part, as he was not a gifted wacky comedian. Neither Harpo or Chico had scenes in which they played their musical instruments. And Groucho had pretty well established himself as the lead Marx brother. This was their final project at Paramount.

The film is famous for featuring some of their best routines: the mirror scene with Groucho and Harpo; the production chorus scene where national fervor is represented as a minstrel show; the hat and lemonade scene with comedian Edgar Kennedy; and Harpo’s bit, dialing a radio thinking it’s a safe. In fact there are so many classic bits and double entendres that it’s hard to catch them all in one watch. One has to experience the film in several viewings-- and it’s only 68 minutes long!

It’s astonishing that the mirror scene was filmed in only two hours! There had been very well done similar scenes in two silent films: Lloyd’s 1919The Marathon, and Linder’s 1921 Seven Years Bad Luck.

Some younger viewers might strain a little to appreciate some of the humor in a film such as Duck Soup, passing it off as too anachronistic. It helps to imagine the impact it had on audiences of the day, and to be aware of the restrictions film makers were laboring under, which would lead to the new Hays Code. Most of the Marx brothers’ gags were fresh, even avant-garde in that period, and have been imitated countless times by others. As a testament to the legacy of Duck Soup, most reviewers place it in their lists of the top 100 great films; not just the top comedy films, but best films, period. In my own view Duck Soup is a unique farce, and ranks as one of my own very favorite comedies.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Bonnie And Clyde (1975)

10/10

A perfect movie as far as I'm concerned, not a second of boredom, realistic with a great expression of creative license.

It was directed by Brad Anderson, and almost all of the films I have seen from him (Session 9, Transsiberian, Sounds Like, Stonehearst Asylum, The Machinist) are these thrillers that have a stomch-flipping sequence of violence in them that feel like they come out of nowhere.

I am also a fan of his two romantic comedies, Next Stop Wonderland and Happy Accidents.

Zero to Sixty (1978)

A pretty obnoxious action/comedy in which Darren McGavin finds himself reluctantly working with some shady repo agents, including 16-year-old Danny, portrayed by the former Violet Beauregard (Willy Wonka's blueberry girl). Many car chases (and one motorcycle chase) ensue.

what to expect:
* a terrible theme song that is played three too many times
* Darren McGavin's bare buttocks
* The Hudson Brothers
* Joan Collins driving a Trans Am like a maniac (pictured)
* Danny's awesome poster collection -

Fans of vintage car stunts should be satisfied with the numerous car chases, but the director seems to have instructed everyone to shout their lines (especially Danny) so the end result is pretty grating. Didn't hate it though.

13 Ghosts (1960)

Felt like I was watching an Ed Wood movie.

I forgot the opening line.

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - Can be obtained from film’s distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63024812

The Burnt Orange Heresy - (2019)

Sick as a dog last night, so I was reluctant to watch a movie lest I be distracted and not take it all in. With The Burnt Orange Heresy however, I'm glad to say that the opposite occurred - for 98 minutes I forgot all about my woes and became entranced by what I thought was a very good film. Saw this a short while ago rated and reviewed on this thread, and I also remembered seeing a few snippets on FOX while visiting someone's place - it was enough to encourage me to watch it and I'm glad I did. Those who like dark thrillers, and don't mind the lead protagonist being an absolutely evil scumbag will warm to this, and be extra grateful for winning performances by supporting actors Donald Sutherland and, channeling Richard Branson, Mick Jagger.

James Figueras (played by Dutch actor Claes Bang in the film's relatively weakest link - but not bad) is a failed artist, and on the verge of becoming a failed art critic. He's broke, owes money and makes his way giving presentations to tourists for measly sums of money. Addicted to speed, paranoid and desperate, he attracts Berenice Hollis (Elizabeth Debicki) - another lost soul - just before a portentous meeting with wealthy art dealer Joseph Cassidy (Mick Jagger.) He feels he's being conned. Used. But he can't resist the temptation to get close to the enigmatic recluse Jerome Debney (Donald Sutherland) - an artist who has kept himself in seclusion for 50 years. How far will he go for redemption? Too far.

There's nothing I can say about the film's ending without giving something away, but it shook me a little. The film has you so firmly in it's grip by this time that the credits come as a kind of startling release. The script by A Simple Plan's Scott B. Smith is simply fantastic, and Mick Jagger can now apparently act quite well. I'll have to give Freejack a go one day - if just to sate my curiosity. I recommend seeing The Burnt Orange Heresy.

8/10

Or maybe one of those painfully obvious newspaper headlines could have said, "All The World's Combined Scientitsts And Militaries Completely Flummoxed By How To Stop An Animal With Very Sensitive Hearing, Despite The Technology To Do So Already Existing And Even The Audience Being Able To Figure It Out Pretty Quickly. Film At Eleven!"
Why would you assume that the militaries of the world in the film were around long enough to try anything besides old-fashioned brute force methods in whatever time that they had to respond, assuming they ever even figured out that the monsters exclusively hunt by sound?

Knives Out (2019, Rian Johnson)

I absolutely loved this - such a well-crafted, entertaining movie. Hitchcock would be proud.

The only problems people have in life are related to sex, and only sex is the cure for these problems. Adventurous group sex. Pathetic.
In the ancient Rome sexuality was very open, sex was a form of art, in paintings displayed in living rooms, kids had access to it at very early age, nothing left for imagination. Obviously, the higher classes satisfied every inch of pleasure they could have, and they reached the ultimate barrier of arousal: pain and suffering. So, they bought slave women and placed them in the middle of the coliseum, fighting and being eaten by lions- sadism, pain on others and in yourself are the ultimate forms of pleasure. Obviously they snapped out of it, as you can see in the statues of men, with short penises and athletic bodies, someone whose focus was intellectual and not sexual. Trial and failure. Obviously they were trading one bad for another, but that's another subject.