☮️ Woodstock ✌️

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Last month was Woodstock's 50th anniversary and I was wondering if there are others here who are into the music that came out of that concert. My first experience with the music was back in highschool when I heard the soundtrack album and saw the 1970 documentary movie. I fell in love with the music, and I fell in love with it again with the recent release of the new CD's and listening to music never before released. The concert was amazing.

Hi @Mesmerized - I posted a thread about this just a month ago on the 50th anniversary of the concert. However I had the inane inspiration not to just title the thread Songs from Woodstock - but if you're if you're interested in hearing some of the terrific songs I like from that keystone event , search for:

"A few songs from a concert I never saw- heard bout it tho"

And I agree- the music was- amazing.

Hi @Mesmerized - I posted a thread about this just a month ago on the 50th anniversary of the concert. However I had the inane inspiration not to just title the thread Songs from Woodstock - but if you're if you're interested in hearing some of the terrific songs I like from that keystone event , search for:

"A few songs from a concert I never saw- heard bout it tho"

And I agree- the music was- amazing.
Before creating this thread, I did a search for threads about Woodstock and I didn't find any.

Unregistered User
Last month was Woodstock's 50th anniversary and I was wondering if there are others here who are into the music that came out of that concert. My first experience with the music was back in highschool when I heard the soundtrack album and saw the 1970 documentary movie. I fell in love with the music, and I fell in love with it again with the recent release of the new CD's and listening to music never before released. The concert was amazing.

There are a few different docs but Woodstock is the best one. I used to put it on when I had mates over for drinks. If there was one event in history that I could go to, it would be that.

What's your favourite performance? Or one of them?

There are a few different docs but Woodstock is the best one. I used to put it on when I had mates over for drinks. If there was one event in history that I could go to, it would be that.

What's your favourite performance? Or one of them?
My favorites were Janis Joplin, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, and Jimi Hendrix. I liked Bert Sommer's performance too. It's sad that he and so many other great performers were left out of Woodstock history.

I'm working my way through the entire concert, most of which I've not heard before. It's awesome. I also liked the stage announcements and I thought it was mind boggling with all the boneheads constantly being told to get off the tower, and announcements to meet so and so at the information booth and the warnings about brown acid and the blue acid poison. It was certainly one of the high points of the sixties.

Unregistered User
My favorites were Janis Joplin, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, and Jimi Hendrix. I liked Bert Sommer's performance too. It's sad that he and so many other great performers were left out of Woodstock history.

I'm working my way through the entire concert, most of which I've not heard before. It's awesome. I also liked the stage announcements and I thought it was mind boggling with all the boneheads constantly being told to get off the tower, and announcements to meet so and so at the information booth and the warnings about brown acid and the blue acid poison. It was certainly one of the high points of the sixties.

Yeah, he wasn't in the Woodstock doc was he? I'm sure things would have been very different if he had been.
There's so many I've still to hear too. I loved the footage of the storms during Woodstock, with the organisers basically telling the half a million-or-so crowd to batten down the hatches and let it ride. Also loved the Hog Farm 'security' helping everyone out during their bad trips.

Yeah, he wasn't in the Woodstock doc was he? I'm sure things would have been very different if he had been.
There's so many I've still to hear too. I loved the footage of the storms during Woodstock, with the organisers basically telling the half a million-or-so crowd to batten down the hatches and let it ride. Also loved the Hog Farm 'security' helping everyone out during their bad trips.
In addition to Bert Sommer, the other performers who were at Woodstock but were not in the doc were Sweetwater, Tim Hardin, Melanie Safka, Quill, the Keef Hartley Band, The Incredible String Band, Mountain, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Band, Johnny Winter, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Also, Janis Joplin was in the director's cut of the doc, but not in the original, nor were any of her songs included on the original soundtrack album. A serious oversight.

In my view, Janis Joplin was the greatest blues/rock singer of the late 1960s, and one of the very topmost of all time. No one could touch her, and perhaps only Tina Turner could keep up with her energy level.

Two weeks prior to Woodstock, we (Mothers of Invention) were on the same bill with Janis and a dozen+ other acts at the huge Atlantic City Pop Festival held at their race track, which attracted 150,000.

The jockey quarters served as the musicians' lounge, and we all hung out there off & on. The music was piped into the quarters so we could hear what was going on while relaxing, playing pool, drinking beer, etc. But when Janis started singing, most everyone stopped what they were doing to listen.

This homely, shy little gal from Port Arthur, Texas had a galvanizing stage presence, and a voice from the heavens. But for the drugs & booze --which caused her death at aged 27-- she would have had a long career.

Everyone was talking about the upcoming Woodstock festival: who was invited, etc. We had been invited, but the manager either didn't like the money deal, or he wanted to avoid the mess. But I sure always wish we'd have played!

~Doc

@GulfportDoc

Thanks for sharing all that. I've heard of Mothers of Invention and Frank Zappa. I read somewhere that the Beatles were rejected when asked to perform at Woodstock because Lennon wanted to bring the Plastic Ono Band.

Janis Joplin had a singing voice that just can't be mimicked. She was one of a kind.

Unregistered User
In my view, Janis Joplin was the greatest blues/rock singer of the late 1960s, and one of the very topmost of all time. No one could touch her, and perhaps only Tina Turner could keep up with her energy level.

Two weeks prior to Woodstock, we (Mothers of Invention) were on the same bill with Janis and a dozen+ other acts at the huge Atlantic City Pop Festival held at their race track, which attracted 150,000.

The jockey quarters served as the musicians' lounge, and we all hung out there off & on. The music was piped into the quarters so we could hear what was going on while relaxing, playing pool, drinking beer, etc. But when Janis started singing, most everyone stopped what they were doing to listen.

This homely, shy little gal from Port Arthur, Texas had a galvanizing stage presence, and a voice from the heavens. But for the drugs & booze --which caused her death at aged 27-- she would have had a long career.

Everyone was talking about the upcoming Woodstock festival: who was invited, etc. We had been invited, but the manager either didn't like the money deal, or he wanted to avoid the mess. But I sure always wish we'd have played!

~Doc

That's really cool Doc. Have you any photos or anything from back then? There's not many artists better to watch live than Joplin, I can only imagine what it would have been like watching her live.

That's really cool Doc. Have you any photos or anything from back then? There's not many artists better to watch live than Joplin, I can only imagine what it would have been like watching her live.
I only have some photos of the bands I was in, and some individual type pics. I never thought to take a camera along with me to photograph shows or festivals. Wish I had! After all, I had a pretty damn good camera in those days: