Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Just saw Rampage (2018). I would give it a 6 out of 10. It was exactly what I expected. Predictable without a whole lot of depth and not the greatest acting. The Rock is actually getting a little better in his acting. I saw Jumangi a few months ago and he surprised me a bit in that too. I wish they would have shown the monsters actually do more deliberate damage to multiple buildings since that is what the whole point of the video game was about. The Willis Tower falls, but they didn't even show the monsters do anything to it to make it structurally weak to fall over the way it did. Further, they should have shown more than just that one collapse. I think if you go into a movie knowing that it's not out to get an Oscar, but just be mindless entertainment, then it won't be a disappointment because your just there to watch a movie where you don't have to think too much and eat some popcorn.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2017) 4/5

Starring Brian Cox. A father and son, both coroners, investigate the death of a young woman's corpse, and things get very bizarre the more they investigate. It's well written and a smart thriller. Definitely something I enjoyed.

I watched Annihilation yesterday. And it was great. Surely in Top 10 of 2018 movies. The concept, screenplay, background score and visuals, everything was perfect.
I'll rate it 8.5 out of 10.

Everyone is my friend unless proven otherwise
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939 ) 7.9 / 10
It doesn’t care whether it’s soon or it’s too late
Don’t be afraid if your heart wakes up from an old dream
My be God has written your story from the beginning. Ehsan khaje Amiri

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Disappointment a little bit. His previous movies were better in my opinion.
[The Salesman]

Edit: I read today that this movie is inspired by Arthurs Miller's Death of a salesman. I didn't notice any connotation. Anybody here did?
I agree with you. The acting was first rate but the story was boring and anti-climactic. The Death of a Salesman reference is only because the play was being rehearsed as part of the story. It seems to me it got the blessing of the critics simply because it's an Iranian film...

~Doc
I think the critics didn't appreciate his previous movies and now they want to rectify their mistake. Yes, the movie was partly boring.

Unregistered User

The Eyes Of Orson Welles (2018)

Disappointing doc/essay film that was far too long. Moment of the night though, the director had Orson Welles daughter introduce the film over speakerphone! We were actually talking to Orsons actual daughter!

I think that critics didn't appreciate previous movies and now they want to satisfy they mistake. Yes, the movie was partly boring.
By previous movies, do you mean earlier movies by Farhadi? You may have a good point there, although I've never seen any of his prior films. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

~Doc

By previous movies, do you mean earlier movies by Farhadi? You may have a good point there, although I've never seen any of his prior films. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

~Doc
A Separation, i liked The Past too but it's gotten a more mixed response. Those are the only two i've seen.

Don't think it's accurate to say critics didn't praise his films before The Salesman, A Separation is one of the most acclaimed films this decade and was from its release, rightfully so IMO.

Welcome to the human race...
Mom and Dad -

starting to come to the sad realisation that having Nic Cage act like an absolute maniac in a movie does not automatically make it good

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

~Doc
Yeah, I mean his prior movies. About Elly was really thrilling. It was the fisrt Farhadi movie I watched. I've watched also A Separation and
The Past and the last one I recommend the most, although both are really good.

movies can be okay...
The Past is my favourite Farhadi too, but I personally don't see any drop in quality from About Elly to The Salesman. I actually think he is getting better and better. Although, with the reception of his latest film, he may have broke his streak. Also, I don't see the connection at all, between the critics blessings, and Farhadi's films being Iranian...but that's probably because there isn't one.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Mom and Dad -

starting to come to the sad realisation that having Nic Cage act like an absolute maniac in a movie does not automatically make it good
It certainly helps though. Mom and Dad was awful, but can you imagine how worse it would have been without the Cage antics?

RBG--A fantastic documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who's a great SCOTUS justice.

West Side Story--Excellent.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Arrival (2016)

Forrest Whitaker's accent was the only alien I saw.