Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've been curious about Gilbert Grape for quite a few years and finally watched it a few months ago. Got to say though that I really struggled to get into it. However as it's such an oddball film I think it's perhaps one I'd have to be in the perfect mood for, so I'll give it another shot someday. Very nice review by the way Sexy.

Nice review of Candelabra,Sexy. I can't believe that all studios refused to show it and it became a TV movie.

The Doom Generation
(directed by Gregg Araki, 1995)

Teenagers live in a Hell called America in Gregg Araki's 1995 second chapter of a "Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy" called The Doom Generation. Rose McGowan (Scream, Jawbreaker, Planet Terror), James Duval (Independence Day, Frank from Donnie Darko) and Johnathon Schaech (That Thing You Do!) all star as a trio heading down the road in Los Angeles where they encounter bloodbaths in quickie marts (including Asian family ritual suicides conducted by comedian Margaret Cho), a redneck fast food employee with a broken heart and a pretty girl mask to hide his homicidal identity, Parker Posey in a fright wig and heart shaped sunglasses, drag queens in thrift shops, Amanda Bearse as a bartender, and cameos from Heidi Fleiss and Perry Farrell and even Peter from The Brady Bunch.

On IMDB.com in the forum for The Doom Generation, you can find threads such as, "Was this movie written by a 9th grader?" Well, no, I don't think so, but I can understand how someone might think that. There's not really a lot to The Doom Generation. Roger Ebert gave it zero stars, but that's Roger Ebert.

The story, if you wanna call it that, is basically three young people traveling together through the night and winding up in deadly situations with psychos. Along the way, they stop at motels where Rose McGowan and Johnathon Schaech, who bicker at each other through the movie, give in to their primal urges and have sex, even if Rose McGowan had just called him every insulting name in the book. Her boyfriend is really James Duval's character, Jordan White -- her name is Amy Blue, Schaech's name is Xavier Red. Red, White and Blue.

The Doom Generation is a quirky, mesmerizing flick that is quite nihilistic and artful and pretty at the same time. Its biggest weakness is with the characters, who for the most part all act grossly immature, especially Rose McGowan's Amy character. Nothing about it ever seems real. The film is as plastic as the '90s plastic see-through coat Rose McGowan's character wears in several scenes. Every purchase these characters make at the quickie marts, no matter what they buy, only costs them $6.66 (which would actually be wonderful if it's the same price for gasoline). Same with the food they buy at Carnoburger, a dinosaur themed fast food restaurant they stop at for barbecued beef chunks, Evian and Diet Coke - Extra Large. Rose McGowan's SAT score is also revealed to be 666.

The film explores sex, bisexuality and homosexuality, racist groups such as neo-Nazis, the pleasure of a finger up a man's anus, jealousy, meaninglessness, Jesus tattoos on a penis, animated belt buckles, chain smoking, masturbating with a yo-yo, sword fighting with Parker Posey, decapitated Asian heads that vomit and talk, the possibility of being executed with a shotgun in a convenience store if you don't pick up a cigarette butt you dropped, being recognized by dozens of people who each call you a different name such as "Kitten" and "Sunshine" and "Bambi" and yet you don't know who they are, etc.

You will even hear Rose McGowan's Amy Blue character describe sex as being like "eating a bowl of spaghetti."

Rose McGowan shows her boobs and ass a lot, if that's your thing, and James Duval and Johnathon Schaech (god, I hate writing that name) show their asses a few times. I have the Unrated Director's Cut on DVD, but there's also an R rated version, which I have not seen.

I first saw this movie four years ago. It's become, for some strange reason, one of my favorite movies. It just clicked with me at the right time. I've seen several other Gregg Araki movies and liked them all, but this one stands out as really being exceptional and the most interesting. It's a very short movie, ranging from 83 minutes for the uncut version, to 71-75 minutes for the R rated version, but if the film drives you crazy (and it might), it might seem a lot longer than it is.

But I do recommend it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow. Don't think I've ever actually heard of The Doom Generation before but certainly sounds rather interesting.

I have seen the Doom Generation and I admit I did not care for it. I will say this I think I have seen the R version, because I did not see the scene where Xander is talking about his penis tattoo. So I am sure I saw the version with that stuff taken out. I saw it via Netflix.

I taped this off cable before and my wife accidentally deleted it. It sounds like a love it or hate it type movie, and it is still on my to see this. Great review.

That would be an odd thing to take out, though... however, I hear iTunes has the R rated version. Netflix probably does, too.
Wasn't there also supposed to be a bit about Xander and bestiality? That was not in the version I saw either.

Yes, there is. Not that there's actually an animal involved, but he asks his fellow travelers if they've ever had sex with an animal and then says that he had a golden retriever (or something) one time....
Yeah that is the scene. Was omitted from the Netflix movie I saw

Her
(directed by Spike Jonze, 2013)

Spike Jonze, the director of Her, is all over the plate with me. He's the director of Adaptation, the 2002 movie starring Nicolas Cage as the screenwriter of the movie itself, which I used to consider my #1 favorite movie and still is one of my top favorites. He's also the director of Where The Wild Things Are, which I absolutely despised and almost committed suicide during my screening of the movie. He's also the hilarious old lady character from the Jackass movies who is always losing her clothes and showing off her saggy boobs to everyone -- remember Gloria, the 90 year old slut?

And, of course, he also directed Being John Malkovich, which I think I've only seen maybe twice, but I liked it. Whatever Spike Jonze does, it's bound to get a strong reaction out of me, usually. Maybe.

Here he has written and directed Her, starring Joaquin Phoenix as a man going through a divorce. The film is set in a world that feels like it could be five or ten years from now. Maybe fifty, who knows? Futuristic without really being strongly futuristic. Enough to feel like it's today. An operating system (like Windows) comes out and it comes with a "consciousness" that talks to you and gets to know you and does chores for you and basically tags along with you in life. You can choose to have either a male or female consciousness. Joaquin gets the operating system and chooses a female consciousness. Suddenly, a lady's voice starts talking to him and she's doing errands for him and taking care of his e-mails and phone calls and such. She's like a secretary. If you have the operating system, you have your own secretary.

Like all things, though, sex gets involved. Soon Joaquin -- and as you can imagine, everyone with a conscious operating system -- is hooking up with their bodiless secretary. They're frighteningly like real people -- except, of course, they're missing bodies. You might as well be dating an imaginary friend that lives in your head. It's Drop Dead Fred minus Rik Mayall.

Her pushes the boundaries of weirdness. If you thought Lars and the Real Girl was strange and f**ked up to see Ryan Gosling pushing a love doll around in a wheelchair and taking it out for haircuts and ice cream, just wait till you get a load of Joaquin Phoenix dating what is basically his cell phone. At least Ryan Gosling went for something that had a body. This might as well be having sex with an answering machine out of a Stephen King book. And BOY is she kinky. I don't wanna give too much away -- but she uses actual humans as basically sex toys.

A wide spectrum of love related issues actually gets explored in Her, whether you realize it or not. It looks like it's all going to be a major sap fest -- a total vagina movie for women all about love and romance and warm, snuggly feelings. A feel good romantic sci-fi comedy.

It's actually a long lost episode of The Twilight Zone.

Expect something dark. Expect something creepy. I HATED Samantha, the operating system who falls in love with Joaquin Phoenix, and with good reason. Men will learn that no woman, not even a bodiless, fake woman, is their love savior. Pain and misery and unhappiness is found everywhere, no matter what kind of new form life takes. All we can do is accept that.

Her is funny and original and didn't bore me. I don't know if it's worth watching countless times (except, of course, maybe if you're a certain kind of Joaquin Phoenix fan out there...) but watch it once to see something unique and interesting. And, in a way, scary.

The Fly
(directed by David Cronenberg, 1986)

The Fly was a favorite movie of mine when I was a little kid -- we're talking really young, before I started kindergarten. Didn't understand it the way an adult does at the time, but I knew what was going on -- a man (Jeff Goldberg) made a big mistake when he stepped inside a machine which tainted his body and started changing him into a fly man. For some reason, I never really bothered to watch The Fly as an adult until now, so it's been YEARS since I saw it. I may have seen pieces here and there, but this is the first time I actually sat down and experienced it in a way that was almost new, and yet wasn't at all. I have seen the sequel, The Fly II, but it's been at least twenty years since I even saw that film.

Jeff Goldblum (no relation to Whoopi Goldberg) stars as Seth Brundle, a brainy science prodigy who almost won the Nobel Peace Price at the age of twenty. One night at a science conference, he meets a woman named Veronica (Geena Davis) who is interested in what kind of scientific research he's been engaged in at home. He takes her back to his warehouse/home where he has a lab and everything. She sees two bizarre egg shaped pods with doors sitting around the place -- telephone booths, she jokingly refers to them as. But no, they're not telephone booths. They're Brundle's secret pet project -- teleportation devices. Put something in one pod, fiddle around with a computer for a second, and BOOM, the item teleports to the other pod. He demonstrates this using her panty hose.

She reveals herself to be a journalist, which freaks him out -- he's not ready to share what he's got with the world, yet. For starters, it's not perfected -- the pods can teleport inanimate objects, but it's ghastly and horrific and totally unfit to teleport living things. A test with a baboon demonstrates this when it goes horribly wrong.

But then, another test, another baboon, and suddenly Brundle thinks he's got the teleportation pods finally working right and finally able to allow teleportation between living things -- including animals. After getting drunk one night after Veronica leaves his place to take care of some bad business, Brundle gets inside his teleportation pod and teleports to the other one -- but unknown to him, a fly has flown in the pod and decided to journey along with him. And the computer which decodes and recodes the objects inside the pod makes a very big mistake.

I thought The Fly started out really great but progressed to a special effects spectacle that cheapened the movie and made it seem more lame than frightening. Cronenberg has an obsession with THE FLESH and anatomy and I see nothing wrong with this, but too many special effects sequences with the fly and with other things made this bizarre movie a little too cartoony for me. At one point, I laughed at the lunacy of Brundle losing parts of his body as he transformed into a fly, but that's actually a positive, I think.

It seemed strange to see Geena Davis act in a David Cronenberg movie for some reason. His material is outlandish and very sexual and she seems very outside his kind of turf to me. It's almost surreal to see her and Jeff Goldblum together in a movie like this... and not something lighter and easier to handle like 1988's Earth Girls Are Easy.

I'm not sure what to think. I recommend checking out The Fly sometime if you've never seen it -- it definitely wasn't boring. I did feel very uneasy and bothered watching it, though. The movie has a way of getting under your skin with its strong focus on our identity in the animal kingdom as humans. You might become more self aware of your own limitations living inside your body. The film is about playing and experimenting with your human condition -- and how advancement or transgression could lead to your destruction and doom. The Fly warns us that when you think you're ready for something, you really might not be.

Love The Fly... along with Carpenter's The Thing, it's one of the very few remakes that completely shames the original.

Nice review!!

EDIT: I love Geena Davis too.

sexy celebrity , why dont you review ' honey i shrunk the kids '