Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

Another:

Growing up, I thought Roy Orbison (who I am a huge fan of) was blind!
I totally did too. And I bet loads of people thought the same.

I think that might have been someone named Sean Kenney.
Thanks for the correction.
Apparently Anson Mount plays Pike on the ST Discovery series.
(The weird thing is when I pulled up the photo from TOS, whatever website it was from placed "Anson Mount" as the actor playing the original, crippled Pike.)

P.S. I also just learned that Sean Kenney played another role on Star Trek (TOS) - that of Lt. DePaul in two different episodes.

What's kind of remarkable is how much Sean Kenney resembles Jeffrey Hunter - no wonder they chose him to play the crippled Captain Pike.

I totally did too. And I bet loads of people thought the same.
Yes. After posting I did a search regarding Roy's eyesight.
Turns out he suffered from stage fright and the sunglasses helped him to overcome it (kind of like a mask to hide behind or a barrier between him and the audience).
But apparently his use of sunglasses on stage led many people to think he was blind.

Yes. After posting I did a search regarding Roy's eyesight.
Turns out he suffered from stage fright and the sunglasses helped him to overcome it (kind of like a mask to hide behind or a barrier between him and the audience).
But apparently his use of sunglasses on stage led many people to think he was blind.
I always hide behind my sunglasses. Not indoors though.

I always hide behind my sunglasses. Not indoors though.
I just thought about this... (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong)... but I seem to remember Roy Orbison always seemed a bit stiff on stage. It seemed like he always stood in one spot, never really moved around too much or danced (unlike Elvis). And I think his relative stillness combined with the sunglasses contributed to the idea that he was blind - as a blind person would probably stay fairly stationary.

However, most blind performers play seated (obviously for Ray & Stevie - being piano players they'd most likely be seated whether blind or not). Blind guitarist Jose Feliciano usually performed seated, but I believe their are a couple modern blind guitarists who perform while standing.

I just thought about this... (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong)... but I seem to remember Roy Orbison always seemed a bit stiff on stage. It seemed like he always stood in one spot, never really moved around too much or danced (unlike Elvis). And I think his relative stillness combined with the sunglasses contributed to the idea that he was blind - as a blind person would probably stay fairly stationary.

However, most blind performers play seated (obviously for Ray & Stevie - being piano players they'd most likely be seated whether blind or not). Blind guitarist Jose Feliciano usually performed seated, but I believe their are a couple modern blind guitarists who perform while standing.
The blind tenor Andrea Bocelli always stands, I think, when he sings.

I was never an Orbison fan. He always seemed strange to me which was off-putting. And he still looks old to me when I see his footage.

Interesting though & it’s something I think about re performers who do or do not move around on stage. Eric Clapton, for example, does not dance on stage & barely moves. Jimmy Page always did his own little dance moves while playing. Elvis, of course, was all over the place. The Beatles were very stationary except George who occasionally would do a little dance. I can go on & on.

I never knew until just now that Danny Huston (so good in Yellowstone) is John Huston’s son & his half-sister is Angelica Huston. He is also uncle to Jack Huston.

Heard this bit of trivia on a radio show recently...

The actor who played Luca Brasi in The Godfather (1972) was named Lenny Montana.
He had little acting experience before this movie as he had been a professional wrestler and allegedly had been an actual mob enforcer himself!

The story has it that Montana was very nervous preparing for his scenes and had trouble remembering his lines. So, on the set, just before his first scene, Montana was seen & heard rehearsing his lines (what he'd say to Marlon Brando) out loud.

Several people took note of Montana's rather plodding & amateurish memorization technique including Director Francis Ford Coppola.

Coppola was so amused by Montana's nervous line rehearsing that he included Montana doing it (in the character of Luca Brasi) and had "Kay" (Diane Keaton) point it out in the film, just as on-the-set staff had been doing, before going in to greet Don Corleone (Marlon Brando).

A case where a bit of real-life character was carried over and placed into a film's character.

Never really thought about the similarities between Cool Hand Luke and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest before, but you're absolutely correct, I definitely seem them.

They both often get cited as Jesus-parable movies. So... yeah. I'm always a bit of, "*shrug*, I guess," on that.

Granted, so does Au Hasard Balthazar, but that would be a perspective of Jesus.

Actor Steve Forrest (who was in a buttload of TV shows and movies but who I mostly know from playing Lieutenant "Hondo" Harrelson in the old SWAT TV show) and actor Dana Andrews were brothers.

I didn't know Steve Forrest and Dana Andrews were brothers.

Jerry Lewis showed up unannounced at the funeral of Dean Martin Jr. (who's Air Force plane crashed in 1987).

Lewis stood at in the back of the church through the service, and said nothing to anyone, only privately paying his respects.

Later, news that Lewis attended the funeral reached Dean Martin Sr. (Lewis' former showbusiness partner).

Touched by this, Martin called Lewis on the phone and they had a heart to heart talk. This was allegedly the first time they'd spoken privately or at length outside of any minor incidental meetings.

Their most famous but only momentary "reunion" occurred a decade earlier when Frank Sinatra arranged for Dean to show up at Jerry's Muscular Dystrophy Telethon in 1976.

Learned this from the documentary: Dean Martin: King of Cool that recently aired on TCM.
Loved Dean Martin: King of Cool...here's a thread to my review of the documentary:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...g-of-cool.html

I found out there is such an animal as a flying lemur.

I was informed a couple of years ago that the animal that was the leader of the island kingdom in the animated film Madagasgar was a lemur.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I just learned i have a deadline next week when i thought it was the 28th. That count?

I found out there is such an animal as a flying lemur.

I think more than a decade ago, I was listening to recordings from an intro anthropology that were posted online, and apparently lemurs are a weird case of first find for the island for... all mammals, I believe. Since the island was pretty isolated, they speciated out significantly over time and a fair number of other mammalian species you can think of, there was a lemur that kind of adapted in that direction.

e.g. the flying lemur, but also a lemur roughly the size of a gorilla
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch...male%20gorilla.

Though if memory serves (without googling), I think the flying lemur is/was closer to a flying squirrel than a bat. Correct?

e.g. the flying lemur, but also a lemur roughly the size of a gorilla
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch...male%20gorilla.

Now I'm hoping they discover a gorilla the size of a lemur.

It would only be fair.

Now I'm hoping they discover a gorilla the size of a lemur.

It would only be fair.

You mean a gorilla the size of an archaeoindris fontoynontii?

You mean a gorilla the size of an archaeoindris fontoynontii?
I mean a gorilla the size of Zaboomafoo (that's the scientific name).