3. Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 - 97
4. Goblet of Fire - 94
5. Half-Blood Prince - 93
6. Order of the Phoenix - 92
7. Chamber of Secrets - 90
8. Sorcerer's Stone - 87
9. Fantastic Brasts - 73
10. Crimes of Grindelwald - 53

I finally finished the series last night. I'm going back and watching the first one again, and as I expected, the instant jump from the heavy and dark finale to the cute and kiddy beginning is more in your face than going back ad starting Avatar again to see Aang go from the wisened warrior in the finale to the goofy kid at the beginning. Sheesh.

Well, Yates proved himself to be one of the modern greats. All four of his entries were great. Chris Columbus did a bang up job with his entries, although their the worst of the original 8. And I expected Cuaron to make one of the betyer entries in the series. I was prepared to giveit a 100 when I first saw it, but I decided not to since I predicted a couple of things happening.

Ok, this is what I've seen...

1. Sorcerer's Stone
2. (first half of) Chamber of Secrets

The trick is not minding
1. Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
2. Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Goblet of Fire
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Sorcerer's Stone
8. Order of the Phoenix
9. Fantastic Brasts
10. Crimes of Grindelwald

Was a big fan of the series, to be honest. As you stated, it goes from light to dark but the ending is quite satisfying, In regards to the first arc involving Harry Potter. Have not enjoyed the prequels as much really.

Victim of The Night
I like the one with the proper Dumbledore. Harris was the most perfect casting I've maybe ever seen. Gambon's a good actor but boy did he/directors/whoever **** the bed on that character.

Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows Part 1 are the ones I found actually atmospheric.

I also don't mind the Columbus movies as they're at least aware that this is all bull**** for children and own up to it.

The rest are drab, overwrought garbage.

The first two by Columbus are borderline unwatchable

Azkaban is easily the best of the series.

Yates was adequately serviceable. I prefer Goblet and Phoenix greatly to the last two. I thought Deathly Hallows 2 was garbage, and the love of it confounds me. Doesn't help that the final book was also one of the worst of the series

Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows Part 1 are the ones I found actually atmospheric.

I also don't mind the Columbus movies as they're at least aware that this is all bull**** for children and own up to it.

I will add that I think the books get substantially worse after the fourth one.*I don't think Yates is entirely to blame for how joyless the later movies feel, but his visual style doesn't help.*

Victim of The Night
I will add that I think the books get substantially worse after the fourth one.*I don't think Yates is entirely to blame for how joyless the later movies feel, but his visual style doesn't help.*
I don't know about subsequently, but I will agree that the drop-off from 4 to 5 was like falling off the edge of a bottomless cliff. I was borderline passionate about the books through GoF and found it a slog to finish the series, particularly having been demoralized by Order Of The Phoenix.

You ready? You look ready.
My love for the Harry Potter world quickly evaporated in college. The movies sucked all the magic out of the books and when Rowling exposed herself as a vile creature it left me with no reason to cling to her childish notions. The books don't even hold up well now. Just a smash and grab job at some cash. She got lucky and now we're stuck with her.

The books were good when I was learning to read. Now that I can read...meh.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'll always respect the attention to detail Rowling paid to her series. She's deserving of being canonized in childrens literature due to that. Her plotting was frequently inventive and engaging. But I always bristle when some try and compare her talent at actual writing to children's authors who were actually...good. The quality of her prose was deeply average.

Rowling took into consideration that the young demographic was growing up. She originally wrote it for young adults but Scholastic changed the demographic before book one was published.

Rowling took into consideration that the young demographic was growing up.
Yeah, and the weaknesses in her writing grew more apparent as a result.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Deathly Hallows Part II
3. Halfblood Prince
4. Deathly Hallows Part I
5. The Sorcerer's Stone
6. The Chamber of Secrets
7. The Order of the Phoenix
8. The Goblet of Fire
9. Fantastic Beasts

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Deathly Hallows Part II
3. Halfblood Prince
4. Deathly Hallows Part I
5. The Sorcerer's Stone
6. The Chamber of Secrets
7. The Order of the Phoenix
8. The Goblet of Fire
9. Fantastic Beasts

Slightly diverging, gotta say I am REALLY not fond of Prince John or Robin Hood in general. But nice to seee that you've got a good appreciation for David Yates.

Slightly diverging, gotta say I am REALLY not fond of Prince John or Robin Hood in general. But nice to seee that you've got a good appreciation for David Yates.
While it's hard for me to understand someone not liking Peter Ustinov's brilliant portrayal of PJ in what I consider the most loveable (and unique) animated Disney flick, I do have an appreciation for your appreciation of my appreciation of David Yates.

While it's hard for me to understand someone not liking Peter Ustinov's brilliant portrayal of PJ in what I consider the most loveable (and unique) animated Disney flick, I do have an appreciation for your appreciation of my appreciation of David Yates.

Such appreciation.

Truth is, I've seen a bunch of Robin Hood movies, and this just felt like Disney putting out a random Furry Fairy Tail. If you wanna read my review on it, it's somewhere in my Movie Memoirs thread.

There was a time when I was pretty into the books as they were being released, only series of books that I read all of them each at least three times. The movies were fairly decent I suppose when I watched them, don't know if I would like them now because I've matured quite a bit since they came out. I remember watching I believe GOF on a revisit years back and not sure why but I remember thinking, at that time, these movies are kind of long and not good.

The first two by Columbus are borderline unwatchable

Azkaban is easily the best of the series.

Yates was adequately serviceable. I prefer Goblet and Phoenix greatly to the last two. I thought Deathly Hallows 2 was garbage, and the love of it confounds me. Doesn't help that the final book was also one of the worst of the series
This is pretty close to how I remember things, too. I have a feeling that Rowling wrote the final book around the same time she wrote the first. At least it's considerably worse written than the books it follows up.

While she may not be remembered as one of the great writers in the future, I still think that teaching a whole generation to read books should have been enough to get Rowling a literature Nobel. For that feat alone, she'll always have my respect.

Such appreciation.

Truth is, I've seen a bunch of Robin Hood movies, and this just felt like Disney putting out a random Furry Fairy Tail. If you wanna read my review on it, it's somewhere in my Movie Memoirs thread.
That has me curious. I'll check it out. And then I'll argue with you relentlessly afterwards.