Top 5 David Cronenberg films

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
1. A History Of Violence
2, The Fly
3. Eastern Promises
4. Videodrome

Unregistered User
Didnt realise i had seen that many Cronenberg. Currently sitting at 10.
1. Dead Ringers
2. Videodrome
3. The Fly
4. History of Violence
5. Eastern Promises

6. Rabid
7. Spider
8. Crash
9. Shivers
10. Dead Zone

Very hard to rank his films, i would probably give a completely different ranking tomorrow.

1. Videodrome (1983)
2. Naked Lunch (1991)
3. Scanners (1981)
4. The Fly (1986)
5. eXistenZ (1999)
6. The Brood (1979)
7. Dead Ringers (1988)
8. Rabid (1977)
9. Spider (2002)
10. Eastern Promises (2007)
11. A History of Violence (2005)
12. Shivers (1975)
13. Crash (1996)
14. The Dead Zone (1983)
15. Cosmopolis (2012)
16. Crimes of the Future (1970)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Dead Ringers is my favourite. Left me highly disturbed. Great to see an homage to it in season 2 of hannibal.

In no particular order

Eastern Promises
The Fly
Videodrome
Cant remember Naked Lunch but I think I liked it
Saw History of Violence recently and didn't like it until Viggo went off.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
The Fly - easily his best work
The Brood - mind and body twisted marriage to great effect
Videodrome - The media and its effects on society [dependence] also an interesting take on "what is reality" [later updated with eXistenZ]
Naked Lunch - drugs, art and the creativity process
Spider - this is when Cronenberg shows that he evolved from body horror into a more subtle approach on perception.

Have you seen his son's cinematic debut, Dev? Very good IMO.

This might just do nobody any good.
Love Dave.

My top five:

1. Dead Ringers
2. The Fly
3. The Brood
4. Eastern Promises
5. A History of Violence

I also like A Dangerous Method. A bit underwhelming but I think there's still lots to be found there.

I think he's got big things ahead of him in the future. I can't remember the lead actor's name but I thought he was excellent.

I think he's got big things ahead of him in the future. I can't remember the lead actor's name but I thought he was excellent.
If he learned anything from his dad, he better have a great future ahead.

I actually rewatched The Brood the other day, and ended up liking it a lot more than I had previously (and possibly a little more than Videodrome which I rewatched for the Sci-Fi Countdown). It's nice to see someone else have it high on their list.

I've actually been rewatching a number of Cronenberg films, and will post my own top 5 once I've gone through them all again (plus I haven't seen Eastern Promises or Maps to the Stars yet).

In the meantime, it's nice to see a few new Cronenberg fans on the forum. You guys have great taste.

I actually rewatched The Brood the other day, and ended up liking it a lot more than I had previously (and possibly a little more than Videodrome which I rewatched for the Sci-Fi Countdown). It's nice to see someone else have it high on their list.

I've actually been rewatching a number of Cronenberg films, and will post my own top 5 once I've gone through them all again (plus I haven't seen Eastern Promises or Maps to the Stars yet).

In the meantime, it's nice to see a few new Cronenberg fans on the forum. You guys have great taste.
The Brood is a great movie in which Cronenberg is able to showcase the body and mind synergy. The only one he actually done that in a blatant way.

I'm with iank on The Brood, probably my favourite of his films.

Out of the films I've seen, the top 5 for me:

1. The Brood
2. eXistenZ
3. Cosmopolis - a decent adaptation of the book
4. Scanners
5. Eastern Promises

1. The Fly
2. Naked Lunch
3. Spider
4. Shivers
5. Eastern Promises
6. Scanners
7. Videodrome
8. A History of Violence
9. Dead Ringers
10. The Dead Zone

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1) The Fly
2) Cosmopolis
3) History of violence
4) Videodrome
5) Naked Lunch