CW's The Arrow

Tools    

Movie Forums Insomniac

The CW has released the first look at Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen (aka The Green Arrow) in their upcoming pilot "Arrow".

After being marooned for five years on a remote island, former billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) returns with a mysterious agenda and a lethal set of new skills that he uses to fight a war on crime.

Arrow's suit was designed by three-time Oscar®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood ("Dark Shadows", Snow White and the Huntsman).

Director/executive producer David Nutter had this to say:

"When I directed the pilot for "Smallville", I knew that making Clark Kent relatable would be the key to audiences believing in him as a hero. "Arrow" is a different show...Darker and harder-edged...But it's the same core idea. We're creating a real, believable world in which Oliver Queen can do incredible things. Colleen Atwood's great work on the Arrow costume reflects that effort."

"Arrow" is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television and is based upon characters appearing in comic books and graphic novels published by DC Comics.
Source: TVWeb

"Arrow" stars Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland, Colin Donnell, Colin Salmon, Susanna Thompson, Paul Blackthorne and Jamey Sheridan. It is currently in development with no set airdate at this time.

Movie Forums Insomniac
Looks cool !!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm keeping up to date with this show. Don't LOVE it, but for what it is, it's decent.

Suspect's Reviews

I dont know what series I should watch... I started watching Gotham but I am interesting in watching more DC things, do you guys have any suggestion of whats the best? The flash, arrow, Smallville, or other dat i didn´t mention?

Arrow's pretty good. It's the closest thing we have to a Batman TV show, actually. Oliver Queen's always been a little bit of a Bruce Wayne ripoff, and the show's first season more or less mirrors Batman Begins, sometimes in really overt ways. But since I really want a Batman show, it works. And it's gotten better as it's gone on.

The Flash is just a few episodes in, so it's hard to say how good it is yet. But if you like either I'm pretty sure you'll like both.

I just started watching it earlier this week. It's cheap-looking, the acting is only decent, and the dialogue is pretty cheesy. That said, it's a fun show, with some very cool action sequences.

Seems like a lot of WB/CW shows look cheap at first, yeah. Buffy the Vampire Slayer looked like it was shot on an ordinary camcorder, and the early monsters basically wore rubber masks. But it gets better; I remember being impressed with a lot of the dialogue in season 2.

But it's primary strength, as you said, is that the action sequences are surprisingly good for a TV show.

I think they do a good job with the mythology, too. Particularly with piecemealing the plot developments out over time. There are a couple that are a little eyeroll-inducing, but most of them make sense and keep folding over on themselves in interesting ways.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like "Arrow" when they stay off the island, but I hate the scenes when they go back to his time on the island.

I also don't care much for the actor who plays Arrow. They should have just kept Justin Hartley from "Smallville".

I fell in love with this show when I first started watching the DVDs a few months ago. Now, I'm up to season 4 (2015) and it's starting to get to me. These endless "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner" and then the other character going needlessly ballistic because of that. And I just can't get used to the Black Canary and Speedy -- the actresses don't sell this very well.

Agree on all counts, Puma. Over the first couple of seasons, the secrets made a lot more sense, and the web of lies was so thick that it was kind of funny, but in a good way. And it built up to a meta narrative about the corrosiveness of secrets. But it makes zero sense to build to that, and have the characters start trusting each other...and then backslide on it. This might happen in real life, and there's a little mileage there out of treating secrets like some kind of addiction, but narratively it's too much of a retread.

Still a pretty good show, though, and those first couple of seasons are far better than I think a lot of people realized.

I also don't care much for the actor who plays Arrow. They should have just kept Justin Hartley from "Smallville".
FunFact: Justin Hartley answered my question on a TV.Com Q&A they had back during his time on Smallville. Kind of cool considering they had thousands asked and he only answered 7 of them

I got burned out on the island flashbacks getting more and more ridiculous.
I've never loved them, though I've appreciated how short they usually are, or have become, at least.

Regardless, they said this is the last season they'll use them. Kind of curious what the show feels like, momentum-wise, when that's over.

I've never loved them, though I've appreciated how short they usually are, or have become, at least.

Regardless, they said this is the last season they'll use them. Kind of curious what the show feels like, momentum-wise, when that's over.
I didn't mind them when he was actually ON the island, but last I saw he was travelling the globe as secret agent man for Amanda Waller and my eyes rolled so hard I think I went blind in one of them.