Westerns HOF

Tools    

Awesome set of nominations! I'm stoked! This might just be the best special Hof ever.

I considered Dead Man myself, also The Unforgiven, both great films. I'm glad to see a silent film, I want to watch more of those. All these films should be great fun.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Awesome set of nominations! I'm stoked! This might just be the best special Hof ever.

I considered Dead Man myself, also The Unforgiven, both great films. I'm glad to see a silent film, I want to watch more of those. All these films should be great fun.

I just want to double-check. The movie nominated is Unforgiven (1992), not The Unforgiven (1960). They're both westerns, but the picture in the first post is for the 1992 movie, without the word "The" in the title.

Is this correct?

Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood is correct, I just added 'the' by mistake, probably because I was considering The Unforgiven 1960. You should join GBG, Sean said he posted the list early as he was going to be gone tomorrow. The deadline was March 11th, so you have time.

Fantastic stuff guys. A nice mixture of unconventional westerns and the good ol' classics!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood is correct, I just added 'the' by mistake, probably because I was considering The Unforgiven 1960. You should join GBG, Sean said he posted the list early as he was going to be gone tomorrow. The deadline was March 11th.

I'm not a big fan of westerns. I've watched a few, but they rarely become favorite movies for me. I think the only western that I like enough to nominate is The Frisco Kid (1979) starring Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford.

Out of the other noms i've only actually seen Dead Man. I would have tried to nominate something a bit lesser known myself but Westerns are another underseen genre from me.

I just want to double-check. The movie nominated is Unforgiven (1992), not The Unforgiven (1960). They're both westerns, but the picture in the first post is for the 1992 movie, without the word "The" in the title.

Is this correct?
I've changed it since i nominated it in another HOF but yes it was the 1992 one.

Thanks, can i have Stagecoach then.
Changed it, I'll add the poster later because for some reason I am too stupid to hot link from my phone.

For anyone following along, I made a list of the films for my own future score keeping. Here they are in no particular order:

Day of the Outlaw (1959,De Toth).....Cricket
One-Eyed Jacks (1961,Brando).....Cricket

Dead Man (1995,Jarmusch).....Swan
El Topo (1970,Jodorowsky).....Swan

The Bravados (1958,King.....CR
Calamity Jane (1953,Butler).....CR

Il Grande Silenzio (1968,Corbucci).....JJ
The Wind (1928,Sjöström).....JJ

Red River (1948,Hawks).....Rauldc
The Professionals (1966,Brooks).....Rauldc

Once Upon a Time in the West(1968,Leone).....Camo
Stagecoach (1939,Ford).....Camo

Young Guns (1998,Cain).....Seanc
McCabe and Mrs Miller (1971,Altman).....Seanc

That's an awesome mix of westerns. My film The Bravados comes on a two sided DVD. 1 side is pan & scan and the other side is in glorious CinemaScope wide screen.

Let the night air cool you off
I actually rewatched Stagecoach a couple of weeks ago or less. A couple thoughts:

It's a great film, and whether or not John Wayne could act, you can clearly tell that he has great screen presence.

The chase sequence was quite thrilling and well done.

Orson Welles claimed to have watched Stagecoach over 40 times before making Citizen Kane. At times you can see that shadowy influence of Stagecoach on Kane. I don't know if I should consider Stagecoach's impact on other films when it comes to ranking, but it's part of the enjoyment of watching it now.

Stagecoach elevated the western genre into something else entirely, so it's fitting that Camo changed his nomination from something that picked apart the genre to something that basically gave birth to the genre. Both are great films, but this feels like poetic justice.

Orson Welles claimed to have watched Stagecoach over 40 times before making Citizen Kane. At times you can see that shadowy influence of Stagecoach on Kane.
I'm glad you posted that! I didn't know about that, but now that I do I will watch Stagecoach with an eye on the cinematography. I've seen it before but it has been several years so I'm glad Stagecoach is in.

Sean, sorry but is there any chance i could change Unforgiven because i just remembered i already nominated it for the 5th HOF? It is cool if not.
Thank God!

I've seen it already probably 15 times, and definitely want to see Stagecoach.

Young Guns

First of all the opening and final shootout scenes were the cheesiest things ever, couldn't make something more 80s if you tried . I thought this was a pretty fun film i do feel i would have liked it a lot more if i had watched it when i was younger, seems like it would be a good film to introduce someone to Westerns at an early age. One thing that made it hard for me to fully enjoy this was the acting especially Lou Diamond Phillips who was really awful his big "emotional" scene about his dead family was tough to sit through, i think Estevez was probably the best i'm not exactly sure what i think of his performance either though. Another thing i noticed is that there were some really horrific sound effects particularly when they were spinning their guns around or the punching noises during the fist fight at the dance. Also got no idea what Keifer Sutherlands subplot was all about it felt weird and out of place, like some really unnecessary filler. I know this sounds like i really hated this but i actually found it quite fun i really liked the cheesy soundtrack and dialogue and wouldn't be against watching it again at some point.

Master of My Domain
I think I gave Stagecoach a near-perfect score on my review thread. Fantastic Western, the famous chase sequence almost had me clapping before the film was finished.

JJ, I think John Wayne's screen presence makes him a great actor. People without talent, no matter how charming they look, don't give off a certain charisma.

I really remember the score fondly and the dialogue as not being natural to Western but still being fun. I always loved the banter. I honestly didn't expect you guys to be blown away by this film but I was hoping you would find it fun and entertaining. I do think there is probably a bit of nostalgia involved for me though. I think I was probably 12 when I saw it for the first time. It might be my Tombstone. I could never understand why guys my age love that movie so much.