The Princess Bride

Tools    

Hello, everyone, I would like to talk about the princess bride tonight, please comment what do you think about the movie, what is your favorite part, character, quotes?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hello, everyone, I would like to talk about the princess bride tonight, please comment what do you think about the movie, what is your favorite part, character, quotes?

IMO, The Princess Bride is one of the greatest movies ever made.

And of course, the greatest swordfight in movie history:

I usually don't have too much trouble understanding how someone might like something I hate, or hate something I like, but The Princess Bride is one of very, very few films that I find genuinely difficult to imagine someone disliking. I know they do. Some of them have told me. But it's much harder to wrap my head around that than it is someone hating most other things (not just films).

I even named my cat Fezzik, for crying out loud, and he's big and good-natured just like his namesake.

It found its way onto this site's Top 100 Films of All-Time list at #66, as voted on by the members at that time, and when it was announced on that list I expounded on why I loved it so much. Here's a quote:

There are films I like, and films I love. Films I respect, and films I feel genuine affection for. The Princess Bride is the latter on both counts. It's a story that works as a story, but also works as a commentary about stories. It suits almost every mood I could possibly be in, whether I feel like watching a comedy, a drama, or just something fun and episodic.
Definitely worth clicking through to that post, since there's some back and forth about the film there, including a (good natured) disagreement with honeykid, who is one of those rare and puzzling souls who disliked it.

Welcome to the human race...
ofc it's honeykid (and yet the bastard likes When Harry Met Sally)

anyway, I think it's excellent

I recently read Cary Elwes "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of 'The Princess Bride'" and recommend it for any fans of the movie. Yes, I thought it was great, too.

Can you elaborate a bit on the book? I was thinking of buying it but was wondering if it's personal anecdotes from the film, interviews with cast members, etc. Could be a lot of things, though admittedly I'd be interested in most of them.

It's credited to Elwes and a co-writer and includes lots of comments from creators and castmates as sidebars. For this reason it can be a bit repetitive but I still enjoyed it. There are stories both about how it was made and things that happened off the set and a whole chapter about the swordfight. If the reader is not a big fan of the movie, it will sound a little gushy. But I think those who loved the film will enjoy it.

@honeykid is a crazy person. Pretty sure I told him so when he mentioned he didn't like the movie. You're crazy too if you don't like this movie. Seriously. What's wrong with you?

Rumors swirl of a 'The Princess Bride' remake
Cary Elwes, who plays the film's hero, Westley, said it would be a shame to remake the 1987 comedy.
18 hours ago

A bucket of anxiety
One of my favorites. It's hard to pick a favorite scene, although I love poison scene and the scene with the cave. I met Prince Humperdink at Steel City Con in Pittsburgh a few years ago and this year they're going to have Wesley there

It's an excellent work, I really like The Princess Bride. The Princess Bride is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Phew. Saw the topic and just assumed Hollywood was remaking it. Glad it's just a random thread lol

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
For those who haven't seen it, the Princess Bride Home Movie is spectacular. A ton of celebs did a couple of minutes worth of footage each at their homes during the pandemic and edited the whole thing together.

It's wonderful.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140