Attachment post scripts

Tools    

No, I wasn't questioning the use of the "Insert" button, but only wanting to be sure that the right code was appearing in the brackets. Evidently that's not the problem.
No worries.

I'm using Firefox 57.0 for Ubuntu (Linux) version 17.04.
Thanks. Good to know.

Thank you for editing out the attachment postscript in "The Post". If I were to enter the code manually rather than using the Insert button, would I just copy and paste the uploaded picture ID, then in the text body manually bracket it with the "attachfull" and "/attachfull" codes?
Yup, that'll do it. Just the ID.

It seems to me that I did try the method of copying and pasting a picture into a post, and it worked, but still got the postscript.... I think.
I believe you copied the entire picture URL, and put it into the IMG tag.

I should try posting a picture using my office computer, which has Windows 7 on it, with Firefox or Chrome. Months back I believe that I'd figured out how to do it. Perhaps the problem is the Ubuntu O.S.
Don't feel obligated, but if you do do this, I would very much like to know what happens, yes. It's definitely plausible there's some weird platform quirk, given how idiosyncratic some of the JavaScript I used for this can be from browser-to-browser.

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc
Thank you for editing out the attachment postscript in "The Post". If I were to enter the code manually rather than using the Insert button, would I just copy and paste the uploaded picture ID, then in the text body manually bracket it with the "attachfull" and "/attachfull" codes?

Yoda: Yup, that'll do it. Just the ID.
Following the bracketing with the picture ID, e.g. picx.jpg, it doesn't show up the actual picture, . It probably needs the number, which I don't know how to get.

~Doc

Following the bracketing with the picture ID, e.g. picx.jpg, it doesn't show up the actual picture, . It probably needs the number, which I don't know how to get.
Yeah, "picx.jpg" would be the file name. The number is what I mean by the ID.

You've actually been looking at the ID already with the previous attempts. When you use this (sans asterisks)...

[IMG*]https://www.movieforums.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=41165[/IMG*]

...that number at the end, 41165, is the ID. You can see it by clicking on the file name when you upload. A little annoying extra step, but something that'll work, at least.

~Doc
Doc, about 20 minutes ago I seen you had a post with a photo in it.

Doc, about 20 minutes ago I seen you had a post with a photo in it.
Heh, heh. If that was in my review of The Post, the attachment postscript was missing because Yoda was kind enough to remove it...

I'm going to try Yoda's suggestion of copying/pasting the numeric identifier to see if that'll be the ticket.

Also, I'm beginning to see that where and when the insert is placed in the text body may cause the creation of an attachment postscript. Something CR said in an earlier post got me to thinking about it. I'll have to experiment to learn the sequence and placement. For example if the pic is attached prior to any text being entered, perhaps that wouldn't create an attachment postscript.

And there again, it may just be my O.S., and it's language. For example in order to log out, I have to go through 3 different prompts. Just clicking on the "Log Out" button doesn't do it. I don't know it that's typical or not.

~Doc

The placement shouldn't matter, but a couple of decades of programming weirdness is enough to keep me open-minded about whether or not it could. I've placed it both in the middle, at the beginning, and in the end, without any difference, but let me know if you discover otherwise.

Re: logging out. You should see two prompts, assuming you're not counting the initial click. One to confirm you're sure you want to, and one if you're getting the cache clearing error (which is standard, and lightly annoying, but should work fine otherwise).

I may have found the trick. I'm at the office, using Windows 7 with Firefox.

Pictures seem to insert fine onto whatever is written in the Reply screen, wherever it's selected to go, without the attachment postscript. HOWEVER, once the picture has been placed on the screen, then any changes to the text causes the picture to also appear as an attachment post script.

If I wanted to make a change, I had to cut and paste the "[attach...]xxxxx[/...full]" to wherever I wanted it, after having made the changes. Then it appears without the postscript.

My guess is that's what the problem has been. But I'll try it on the home computer with the Ubuntu this evening to see if that method works there.

~Doc

Ah, so wait, you're using the WYSIWYG editor? That might explain a lot.

Thanks for the update. Glad this is getting sorted out, and appreciate the back-and-forth, tedious though it may be.

Yes, assuming I'm understanding you right.

WYSIWYG is What You See Is What You Get. Basically, anything that shows you the formatting you're applying (as opposed to the underlying code). Most word processors, for example.

I was mistaken. Nothing works. I'd assumed that if the post script didn't show in the Preview post, then it wouldn't appear in the final post. But it does, every time, no matter what I do. I tried it on Win 7 from a laptop, and no difference.

So either there's something basic that I'm missing, or it just doesn't work with Firefox, or some formatting issue, I don't know.

Unless someone can think of something else, I'll just do without pics... unless of course I just HAVE to post one regardless of the postscript..

Thanks all,
~Doc

I was mistaken. Nothing works. I'd assumed that if the post script didn't show in the Preview post, then it wouldn't appear in the final post. But it does, every time, no matter what I do. I tried it on Win 7 from a laptop, and no difference.

So either there's something basic that I'm missing, or it just doesn't work with Firefox, or some formatting issue, I don't know.

Unless someone can think of something else, I'll just do without pics... unless of course I just HAVE to post one regardless of the postscript..

Thanks all,
~Doc
Don't give up Doc. It took me sometime to figure out, but once you do it's easy. Yoda's trying to help you and I would help if I could. Maybe screenshots would help explain it to you? You're probably missing a little step, that's all.

why do people add pictures the hard way? are you just copying something from Google and posting or actuallly downloading the picture to your pc then uploading it? that the harder way.. the 2nd one..

do you realize the [IMG] tag [/IMG] works right?

like me.. I go google what I want for a pic, copy the url link and add the [IMG][/IMG] tags around the url

and there is no small copy of the photo at the bottom of my posts.

@GulfportDoc, give this a go:

Yoda I've seen you mention WYSIWYG editior before, is that the reply box that comes up when the symbol is clicked?
You can use that button to toggle between editor states. Sounds like you're using the full editor, and when it sees that tag it converts it into the IMG tag. Try switching to the "plain" version (where you see all the bbCode, and not the processed result, like [*B] instead of actual bold text), right before posting and inserting the image, and submit the post without switching back.

why do people add pictures the hard way? are you just copying something from Google and posting or actuallly downloading the picture to your pc then uploading it? that the harder way.. the 2nd one..

do you realize the [IMG] tag [/IMG] works right?

like me.. I go google what I want for a pic, copy the url link and add the [IMG][/IMG] tags around the url

and there is no small copy of the photo at the bottom of my posts.
That is indeed easier at first, but very often those images don't stay in that location, so years (or sometimes just months) later, they're broken. Attaching them ensures that they'll work as long as the site is up.

This is a moderate problem on lots of threads, but it's downright huge in cases where people are playing games or offering recommendations where all they do is post an image (like a movie poster), without any accompanying text or title.

Thanks, MovieGal. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

CR: I follow the simple process:
-Click Manage Attachments (or paper clip)
-Upload file from my computer (Browse, select, upload)
-Close window
-Hit Insert (under current attachments)
-This shows [attachfull*]xxxxx[/attachfull] (without asterick, 5 digit
number)
-Submit

The postscript does not show in the preview screen or the compose
screen, but it appears in the post.

~Doc

Thanks, MovieGal. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me.
Okay, that definitely should work. There are reasons to prefer attachments, to be sure, but I can't fathom how or why the IMG tag wouldn't even work with remote images.

CR: I follow the simple process:
-Click Manage Attachments (or paper clip)
-Upload file from my computer (Browse, select, upload)
-Close window
-Hit Insert (under current attachments)
-This shows [attachfull*]xxxxx[/attachfull] (without asterick, 5 digit
number)
-Submit

The postscript does not show in the preview screen or the compose
screen, but it appears in the post.
Try submitting without previewing, in the plain editor mode I mentioned just a couple of posts ago. I suspect you're "losing" it either from the editor, from previewing, or both.

At this point, I'd be willing to setup some kind of live chat (Skype, IM, whatever) where we go through this bit by bit to isolate the problem, for what it's worth.

Usually, in cases as baffling as this, there's usually some step that's being taken that seems inconsequential and isn't even registering as a "step," that can only be uncovered with a granular level of detail. I realize this might not be a worthwhile use of your time, however, so it's up to you.