Why does it seem most actors/actresses have to have the need to smoke?

Tools    

Employee of the Month
How is she is a good role model? I don't know much about her, but I'm curious because I think it takes a bit more than a public statement saying smoking sucks to be a good role model. What else has she done?

And many many model/actresses have gone on the books to support no smoking, so you would be the second or third or four thousand and one hundredth to do so. A few years back Kirsten Dunst was on a huge anti-smoking campaign. These things are fads and come and go.

I say light up if you want. If you don't, then don't light up.

Same Kirsten Dunst who ended up in the rehab because of alcohol and drug abuse? Some people should remind themself that some other people just start to smoke, because the public pressure of the p.c.`s annoys them like hell - and they want to make their point. That`s not very clever, but hey: society itself, role models and pressure from a majority aren`t that clever either. I have reduced my smoking, do mostly weed right now - and I know it`s not good for my lungs (but it`s healthy for other parts of my system).
But whenever I will break this habit, it has to be because of my own will and experiences, not because some role model said so. By the way: Who is the role model for the role models?

I have reduced my smoking, do mostly weed right now - and I know it`s not good for my lungs (but it`s healthy for other parts of my system).
Umm you have glaucoma

How is she is a good role model? I don't know much about her, but I'm curious because I think it takes a bit more than a public statement saying smoking sucks to be a good role model. What else has she done?

And many many model/actresses have gone on the books to support no smoking, so you would be the second or third or four thousand and one hundredth to do so. A few years back Kirsten Dunst was on a huge anti-smoking campaign. These things are fads and come and go.

I say light up if you want. If you don't, then don't light up.
Not only is Ellen against no smoking, but she also promotes Education worldwide as you may have seen he commercials on that. I don't know her personally and I imagine she has her negative things as well as we all do, but she seems to be a real down to earth person.

I know I wouldn't be the 1st model/actress to promote no smoking or a healthy lifestyle to the younger kids out there. It is just the point that I would stand for something like that if I even make it into the business. Even if I don't make it I will still stand for it.

Yes, I am aware of the Kirsten Dunst promos on anti-smoking as was Natalie Portman and they both are smokers. I am not trying to stop people or celebs from smoking. That is their own business. I am trying to set an example for healthy living for the younger people who look up to these celebs.

Female Jungle Poster
Same Kirsten Dunst who ended up in the rehab because of alcohol and drug abuse?
I thought she went to rehab for depression? At any rate, some other reasons for actors to smoke might be:

1. Boredom between filming scenes

2. Attempting to calm their nerves around paparazzi, or fans hounding them

3. A film might call for a character to smoke, so the actor picks up the habit

Now, I'm not stating that these are good excuses, please don't misunderstand me. I'm a heavy smoker, and picking up my first cigarette was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

(And I've done some incredibly stupid things. )

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

I thought she went to rehab for depression? At any rate, some other reasons for actors to smoke might be:

1. Boredom between filming scenes

2. Attempting to calm their nerves around paparazzi, or fans hounding them

3. A film might call for a character to smoke, so the actor picks up the habit

Now, I'm not stating that these are good excuses, please don't misunderstand me. I'm a heavy smoker, and picking up my first cigarette was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

(And I've done some incredibly stupid things. )
I do think this is a big contributing factor.

Employee of the Month
Boredom is also a big point. I don`t smoke very much during the day. But late at night, at home, with nothing else to do...bang! Ten, fifteen,twenty cigarettes---> for no good reason.

It's a personal choice. Nothing more nothing less.

I don't understand it. I know it is addicting and everything but there are so many young actors & actresses out there that are smoking. With all the reports of how unhealthy cigarette smoking is what would make this population want to start it up. Someone like Jack Nickolson I can sort of understand smoking because when he probably started there weren't as many warning, but now these young actors are doing it. It just don't make any sense to me.

I think its more of a mental thing. Acting is harder than you think. Its very emotionally exhausting at times and when they're done for the day they're looking for anything to help de-stress or wind down with. This includes models aswell. Constantly running around to shoots etc. I do agree it's horribly unhealthy but I can understand why they do it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think its more of a mental thing. Acting is harder than you think. Its very emotionally exhausting at times and when they're done for the day they're looking for anything to help de-stress or wind down with. This includes models aswell. Constantly running around to shoots etc. I do agree it's horribly unhealthy but I can understand why they do it.
Maybe so bitter little nobodies sitting at home snarking from the protection of their keyboards have nothing to whine about that an actor dare put on 1 kilo.

What a strange thread for a newb to resurrect. It's 8 years old.

Creative people need addictions . Many Bollywood people feel their creativity is enhanced when under influence of alcohol cigarettes or drugs . For example a person who writes the lyrics of songs for Bollywood movies may be able to write better lyrics under the influence of such addictives . Also the film industry is a very liberated place and in a permissive atmosphere such addictions abound .

A system of cells interlinked
A necro on a Juno thread always has me reaching for the IP scanner. Juno turned out to be quite the trouble-maker, and I would put it past him/her trying to sneak back on years later. Eyes open over here!

I don't understand it. I know it is addicting and everything but there are so many young actors & actresses out there that are smoking. With all the reports of how unhealthy cigarette smoking is what would make this population want to start it up. Someone like Jack Nickolson I can sort of understand smoking because when he probably started there weren't as many warning, but now these young actors are doing it. It just don't make any sense to me.
To me the question is why anyone would want to, especially now. And yet generation after generation still get interested in it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
To me the question is why anyone would want to, especially now. And yet generation after generation still get interested in it.
Why does it seem a person would join a movie forum to immediately dredge up an 8 year old anti smoking thread is a wee bit odd, See?

Why does it seem a person would join a movie forum to immediately dredge up an 8 year old anti smoking thread is a wee bit odd, See?
Speak for yourself Dani, this is why I joined . My Movie Forums experience starts now.