Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Recommendation Thread

→ in
Tools    

HERE is my Top 100 of the decade, in MoFo List form.

I will probably shake my ballot up slightly, it won't be those top twenty-five in that order, for strategic purposes if nothing else. I love all hundred of those movies. Scan through there. There may be some you haven't thought of in nearly twenty years, some you may have heard of but never seen, and some that you don't know what in the fart I am talking about. Ask me about any of them, I am willing to gush.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Keep an eye on the second post of the thread, where I'll add articles and resources that might be useful.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Keep an eye on the second post of the thread, where I'll add articles and resources that might be useful.
Ok, you could add https://www.movieforums.com/lists/custom/307, I've made it public in case you'd wish to, but :

It's just the list I'm using, so it does also feature a few very promising movies that I wanted to see for a long time but still haven't watched. Namely :

Zodiac,
the Pianist,
Memories of Murder,
Breach,
Adaptation
Let the right one in.

So, it's only at 89% a list of endorsement (for now). I can relocate these at the bottom, but, well, just signaling it in case it matters.

I mean that clicking my red HERE should take you to the exact same place. But yes.

Though I haven't seen the 2002 Solaris, thumbs up for including it (The 1972 movie and book are among my favorites)

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I mean that clicking my red HERE should take you to the exact same place. But yes.
Doesn't. Check your original HERE's link (in your original post, not your latest answer).

custom/217 sends to the public display, addlist.php?listid=217 to your private one, inaccessible to others.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I missed the last countdown....I can't miss this one!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
By the way, Holden's number one flick is currently streaming for free on Prime video.

Fish Story (2009)

This movie is so insane. I don't want to spoil it (even the trailer spoils hilarious surprises). In particular, I don't want to spoil how clever it is, how much it makes sense. The premise sound completely random. An asteroid is about to impact Earth, cities are deserted, the planet is more or less doomed. A few very different people find themselves chatting in a music shop, discussing a fabled album's track, a rock song that is said to be able to save the world, and which features ten seconds of silence for unknown reasons. Everyone has their theory on that. The film is a series of episodes about the fabrication of the reception of that song, which are such a delight by themselves that you soon cease wondering where the film is going with that. It goes places. One of my favorite movies ever.

Yeah this one is fun/great. Rarely see it mentioned so good rec!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ok, I might do these every other day, but based on what I've logged on Letterboxd, this is my Top 10 for 2000...

1. Memento
  2. Requiem for a Dream
  3. In the Mood for Love
  4. Traffic
  5. Amores Perros
  6. Gladiator
  7. Cast Away
  8. American Psycho
  9. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  10. Bamboozled

Some honorable mentions, or other films that I think deserve attention...
  • Barking Dogs Never Bite
  • Bring It On
  • Best In Show
  • Ginger Snaps
  • Love & Basketball

I should also rewatch films like Almost Famous, You Can Count on Me, Quills, High Fidelity, Snatch, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's been too long since I've seen them for me to properly rank.

Continuing with my recs. Based on what I've logged on Letterboxd, this is my Top 10 for 2001...

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
  2. Mulholland Drive
  3. Conspiracy
  4. The Others
  5. Moulin Rouge!
  6. Ocean's Eleven
  7. Gosford Park
  8. The Man Who Wasn't There
  9. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  10. Y Tu Mamá También

Some honorable mentions, or other films that I think deserve attention...
  • La Ciénaga
  • Training Day
  • The Pledge
  • Frailty
  • Monsters, Inc.

I should also rewatch films like Ghost World, Session 9, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Devil's Backbone. It's been too long since I've seen them for me to properly rank.

The trick is not minding
Immediately springing to mind: You Can Count on Me, The Contender, Quills, Once, Snatch, Session 9….aside from the more obvious choices as well. I’ll post more as I recall them.
Pixar will have a heavy presence on my list, as well as Studio G.

Gosh, what do I like from the 2000s that people might not have seen?

The Heart of the Game
The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz
Ballast
Blood Tea and Red String
Fade to Black
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary
Alamar
Bright Future
Brand Upon the Brain
End of the Line
Dark Days
The Cuckoo
Keane*
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
The Headless Woman
Bread and Tulips
London to Brighton
Happy Accidents*
Tropical Malady
Lantana
Stuck
Limits of Control
Wendy and Lucy
Tape
Red Road
Undertow
I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay
Osama*
Seraphim Falls
Spartan
The Return*
Millinium Actress*
Breakfast on Pluto
3-Iron*
The Eclipse
Polytechnique
Black Dynamite
Mysterious Skin*

Oh, yeesh. And that's just the ones I think are less popular.

The trick is not minding
Oh yeah! 3-Iron is good!

A lot of those mentioned by Tak have been on my watch list for ages.

Will be watching Wendy and Lucy, Millenium Actress, and Polytechnique soon, as those three are on Tubi.

Will be checking the others out to see if they appear on any of the streaming channels I have available.

Will be watching Wendy and Lucy, Millenium Actress, and Polytechnique soon, as those three are on Tubi.
Polytechnique in particular was one that I hadn't heard a lot about and it had a really strong impact on me.

Anyway, in the last hour I went from not having thought about this countdown too much to deciding I'll be really upset if Mysterious Skin doesn't make the list.